Windows 10: Multiple monitors - Windows move about when PC wakes from sleep

Discus and support Multiple monitors - Windows move about when PC wakes from sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 on an iMac Pro 27", with an additional two monitors connected via the Mac's two Thunderbolt ports. Previously the two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Glenikins, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Glenikins Win User

Multiple monitors - Windows move about when PC wakes from sleep

I'm running Windows 10 on an iMac Pro 27", with an additional two monitors connected via the Mac's two Thunderbolt ports. Previously the two additional monitors were Dell 2007WFPb screens, connected to the computer via DVI cables via adapters for the Thunderbolt ports. All worked fine.

Today I've replaced these with Dell S2719DC screens, connected via HDMI. Now, whenever the computer wakes from sleeping, all the windows which were previously on the Dell screens are stacked up on the primary Mac screen.

I assume the problem isn't a fundamental Windows issue as all worked ok with the original DVI-connected monitors.

I've tried removing the ghost devices associated with the previous two monitors via Device Manager, but that didn't work.

I've looked in various places for an option to force my windows to remain in place irrespective of computer/monitor sleep modes, but can't find anything.

Can anyone help?

:)

Glenikins, Sep 16, 2020
  2. jbb897 Win User

Windows 10 - Multiple Monitors Waking From Sleep

I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit with two USB monitors on one workstation, and three USB monitors on a different workstation. I often switch between the two workstations.

After my Asus laptop sleeps, when I wake it, often the multiple USB monitors are not recognized. The monitor is reading on the laptop screen, but the USB monitors are showing no input. Is there an update for this?

Laptop computer model is Q551LN-BSI708 but I doubt it's a laptop-specific issue. My other Acer and HP laptops running Windows 7 don't have this issue.

Thanks.

jbb897, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Stavros Win User

Monitor Not Waking Up After Sleep

I am experiencing a critical issue - when my computer goes into sleep mode, or if I manually place it in sleep mode, the monitor will not wake. The PC is running; I can hear the fan and the light on the front of the monitor is on, but the monitor itself will not wake. The only way I can get the computer back on is to do a hard reset by holding in the power button, turning it off, then back on. I've tried all the obvious fixes; windows updates, graphic card driver updates, unplugging, turning off sleep mode, turning off Link State Power Management ,making sure the keyboard or the mouse are able to wake the computer in settings, etc. Nothing so far has worked. Any suggestions on how to fix or what the problem may be?
    An additional problem is that I cannot even save some new settings in my motherboard. Somehow the settings return to the default settings and the problem remains. The PC purchased brand new almost 4 months ago.

CPU Intel Core i5 8600k 3.60GHz
    Graphic Card (integrated): Intel ® UHD Graphics 630
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3

Could you please provide any suggestion?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Stavros, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Multiple monitors - Windows move about when PC wakes from sleep - Similar Threads - Multiple monitors move

2. Monitor will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor will not wake from sleep: When my PC wakes from sleep it always used to wake the monitor as well but now when the PC wakes the monitor does not respond. The only way to solve the problem is to do a hard reset of the PC. The PC is definitely waking from sleep. it is just the monitor.I have read...
  3. Monitor will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor will not wake from sleep: When my PC wakes from sleep it always used to wake the monitor as well but now when the PC wakes the monitor does not respond. The only way to solve the problem is to do a hard reset of the PC. The PC is definitely waking from sleep. it is just the monitor.I have read...
  4. Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep: I have dual monitors and every time they wake from sleep, the windows that are open in the second monitor are resized and moved to the primary monitor. This is incredibly frustrating because it disrupts my workflow and I have to rearrange my windows every single time I wake...
  5. Monitor will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor will not wake from sleep: I have tried many fixes found on the internet,i have changed setting after setting,created numerous power plans,tried different display port cables,i have a dell alienware 34 inch monitor,I9 9900k,asus rog maximus xi code mobo, evga ftw 2080 ti hybrid,corsair 64 gb 3200 MHz...
  6. Multiple computers waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple computers waking from sleep: All of a sudden (perhaps since 1903 was installed) three of my computers are waking themselves up from sleep. I can put them back to sleep but invariably they will soon be back awake. AFAICT once they are awakened they will not go back to sleep. This is not happening to all...
  7. Windows move to 3rd monitor after PC wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows move to 3rd monitor after PC wakes from sleep: Hi, I've got 3 monitors connected to my PC. 2 are normal monitors and the 3rd is a TV that sits above my desk visible to the rest of the office. In my display setting they are set up as follows: [ATTACH] Displays 2 & 1 are the displays I use for work applications....
  8. Multiple BSODs when waking from sleep and at random

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSODs when waking from sleep and at random: I've been dealing with this issue for a couple months. At first I thought it was memory related since my memory failed a memtest and was replaced, but now I'm running into bug checks with the following values: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS...
  9. Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar and windows move to primary monitor upon wake from sleep: I have three Acer monitors, all at the same resolution. My middle monitor is designated as the primary monitor. My middle and left monitors are connected with DisplayPort and my right monitor is connected by DVI-D. All through a Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti I have my taskbar and many...
  10. Monitor waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor waking from sleep: I have my settings configured so my monitor will go to sleep. It goes to sleep but then immediately wakes back up. Looking to see what is waking it shows unknown? [img] Any idea on what is causing it to wake up? I think it's the new monitor because it didn't happen...