Windows 10: Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor

Discus and support Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I'm running Windows 10 Pro on my home desktop. I've got 3 monitors setup, two normal, and one TV via a USB video card with HDMI output.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bhoglan, Aug 8, 2015.

1. bhoglan Win User

Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor

Hi there,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on my home desktop. I've got 3 monitors setup, two normal, and one TV via a USB video card with HDMI output.

My monitors are laid out as |3| |1| |2| with 1 being the primary 21 inch, 2 being a second 21 inch, and 3 being the TV.
    Since 1 is set as the primary, I have the system tray on that monitor, in keeping with normal Windows conventions, I like to have all my icons on my primary monitor. For some reason, seemingly at random, Windows will move all my desktop icons to one of the other monitors, it seems to choose the destination at random.

I can manually pull the icons back to my primary, but it's a little frustrating. Also, I've had a couple instances where the taskbar on my primary monitor only shows the outline of the taskbar without any buttons, systray, or icons. The only way I can fix this is to either restart Windows Explorer or reboot the computer.

Does anyone have any ideas for these issues?

Thanks!
    Brian

:)

bhoglan, Aug 8, 2015

2. PC screen to TV

restart pc

Try to keep resolution the same. If you have a 720p HDTV then I would set your monitor and TV to 1280x720.

1280x720 on monitor will increase the size of icons, windows, text, etc. you will probably have to set up your icons again on PC monitor after the change.

I run all 3, 2 monitors & 1 TV at 1280x720 all the time. It is perfect for everything and videos.

seahawks65, Aug 8, 2015
  3. monitor settings

Hi,

Check the settings at Start - Settings - System - Display

You may have more advanced settings in Right Click Desktop - Graphics

Properties AND/OR in Control Panel - Display - Adjust Resolution AND/OR

an icon in the notification area near the clock on lower right of desktop.

These should help (they also apply to Windows 10)

Connect Multiple Monitor to your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

Do more with multiple monitors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/multiple-monitors

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor

1. Multiple monitors, Windows sends desktop icons to random monitor - Similar Threads - Multiple monitors sends

2. Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors: Is it possible to have independent virtual desktops on different monitors of a multi-monitor system. For example on monitor 1 show virtual desktop 1 and on monitor 2 show virtual desktop 2? Currently if I switch to virtual desktop 1 on monitor 2 it also switches monitor 1 to...
  3. Multiple monitors causing changing desktop icons.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitors causing changing desktop icons.: So I have 3 different monitors a Samsung g7 which is 1440p, an Asus VG278 which is 1080p, and an old insignia tv which is 1080p which I am running with my 2060. I have set my Samsung g7 to be my primary screen and had set up my desktop shortcuts for it but when I turn it on...
  4. Desktop PIP for multiple monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop PIP for multiple monitors?: Greetings I have recently purchased myself a lovely panasonic 55" TV, and through the magic of drilling holes in my walls, I have connected it via a very long HDMI cable to my desktop PC. The idea is that I want to be able to get a bit of couch-based console gaming but via...
  5. Multiple monitor desktop background help.

Multiple monitor desktop background help.: Hi, I was hoping somebody knows how to set this up. I have two curved monitors on my desk. And then I have another monitor and a sketch tablet on another desk facing a different direction, they are all hooked up to the same machine. So 4 displays total. The two curved...
  6. Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...: I have a Macbook for work, and I use multiple desktops all the time on it while also having an external monitor plugged in. Mac's default behavior when transitioning to another desktop is to only change the desktop on one of the monitors. I virtually never want to change...
  7. Remote Desktop and Multiple Monitors

Remote Desktop and Multiple Monitors: I have a laptop that is connected to two external monitors and everything works great until we log into a remote desktop. Once logged in we can't make the screen full size or move windows from one monitor to the other. I've double-checked the RDP setting to show full screen...
  8. multiple monitor desktop alignment

multiple monitor desktop alignment: Hello all, To start off I'm hoping you're all having a lovely day and doing fine. I have a new widescreen 3440*1440 Monitor that I would like to align with my older Ilama 1920*1080 monitor. The problem Is not a serious one but more of an aesthetics issue. My new BenQ...
  9. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...
  10. How to randomize multiple monitor wallpapers.

How to randomize multiple monitor wallpapers.: Some time ago, back before one of the updates we just went through with Win 10, I had everything working as I wanted it to, as far as my wallpapers go. I have been using 3 monitors for quite a bit, and when I originally set my wallpapers to "slideshow" and using the "shuffle"...