Windows 10: Multiple Notepad files not cascading.

Discus and support Multiple Notepad files not cascading. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use windows default notepad regularly for a variety of different reasons some of which are windows tips, tricks and fixes, creating .bat files, song... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kandpeas, Dec 27, 2020.

1. kandpeas Win User

Multiple Notepad files not cascading.

I use windows default notepad regularly for a variety of different reasons some of which are windows tips, tricks and fixes, creating .bat files, song lyrics, and of course just plain notes and even messages to myself. It has really just occurred to me that every notepad file I open sits directly on top of the previous file opened, I'm certain that they used to cascade.

I have tried resetting notepad by deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Notepad registry entry numerous times. This works initially and all notepad files I open after deleting the registry entry cascade.... until I close one of the files, all files opened after that open in the the same place as the last close file, and on top of each other. The only way to determine which files I still have open and to select a file is to hover on the notepad icon on the taskbar. I have tried this on our "crash test dummy" (spare laptop) and the result is the same. Not a major problem I know, but annoying just the same.

:)

kandpeas, Dec 27, 2020
  2. David Haz Win User

Cascade windows

Hello,

You may follow the steps below to cascade the windows on your device:

• Right-click on an empty space on the Task Bar.
    • Click Cascade Windows.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

Regards.

David Haz, Dec 27, 2020
  3. red268 Win User
    Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Multiple Notepad files not cascading.

Cascade Windows Undo/Off

Hi Mal,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft forums.

Undo Cascade Windows option will be available, only if the Windows are already in cascade mode.

I suggest you to open 2 or 3 Windows on the screen. Now go to taskbar and click on Cascade mode.

All the files will be set in a cascade mode now, if you want to scatter the folders like before. You can open the taskbar again and click on
    Undo cascade all Windows.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Multiple Notepad files not cascading.

1. Multiple Notepad files not cascading. - Similar Threads - Multiple Notepad files

2. Notepad file recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad file recovery: I had a file around a week ago that i saved but just dissapeared from my desktop. i didnt look for the file up until today so i don't know if it even actually got saved.Is there any way i can recover the file?I already checked the bin and searched *.txt in "This PC"...
  3. How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?: How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar? When I pin notepad app to task bad I was able to add files to it by right mouse button but not after last windows reinstallation. I still can do it with any other app....
  4. How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar?: How to pin notepad file to notepad on taskbar? When I pin notepad app to task bad I was able to add files to it by right mouse button but not after last windows reinstallation. I still can do it with any other app....
  5. Debug.txt notepad file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Debug.txt notepad file: What does this error mean when downloading a pdf? [1016/081305.967:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc43] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. 0x3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/debugtxt-notepad-file/ba8e566f-35db-4ff2-b21a-6965bbfed4ad
  6. Unexpected notepad file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unexpected notepad file: sometimes I see a notepad file named debug and when I open it then it shows the following:- [1012/131940.511:ERROR:crash_report_database_win.cc459] unexpected header what is the meaning of this? What can I do?...
  7. Windows 10 Taskbar Multiple Pinned Notepad Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Taskbar Multiple Pinned Notepad Files: I have a ghost file that will not unpin and doesn't exist on the computer. It says it's in the file path (C:\Users\My Name\OneDrive\Desktop\themestar.txt). I've reset all the taskbar icons and the file still shows up; however, it's not listed in C:\Users\My...
  8. notepad script files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    notepad script files: I created a script file using notepad utility. How do I find and run the script file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-script-files/8baa6fd7-f0f5-44d3-a685-f0e71d17e4fc
  9. Lost cascade windows

Lost cascade windows: I cannot find Undo Windows Cascade on the Task Bar. I am right-clicking on the dropdown list but it is not there. Any advice? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-cascade-windows/09d59cac-91af-4dc4-8e6f-5f9006cc28b4
  10. Scrolling in Cascading Menus

Scrolling in Cascading Menus: Can't remember if I inquired about this before but, is there a way to be able to scroll (mouse wheel) in Quick Launch cascading menus, instead of having to 'pin point' the little arrow at the bottom and letting it self-scroll in the slow default manner? [img] 51107