Windows 10: Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events

Discus and support Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A friend is getting many Powershell errors [img] Often 20 or more interruptions per session. The Application Event log shows many sets of 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spilly, Mar 21, 2018.

1. spilly Win User

Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events

A friend is getting many Powershell errors

Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events [​IMG]

Often 20 or more interruptions per session.

The Application Event log shows many sets of 4 events
    Error 22/03/2018 13:05:08 Application Error 1000 (100)
    Error 22/03/2018 13:05:08 Application Error 1000 (100)
    Error 22/03/2018 13:05:08 .NET Runtime 1026 None
    Error 22/03/2018 13:05:08 .NET Runtime 1026 None
    We simply close the window and carry on until next annoying interruption...
    Everything else works OK

Diagnosis actions to date:
    I have run CHKDSK C: /F /R with no errors. I have NOT (yet) run SFC

I've attached a text file with the event log text.
    The base event always seems to be a .NET Runtime error
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll
    Exception code: 0xc0000005

The problems occur on a friend's system - spec as follows

Win 10 v1709 64bit latest build
    1 x 120 GB SSD as system disk
    1 x 1TB HDD for data
    Intel core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz 6GB RAM
    Dell Inspiron 17 motherboard

Any suggestions to fix this problem will be very welcome.
    I hope I don't have to rebuild the system from scratch.

PShell error log.txt

:)

spilly, Mar 21, 2018
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Mar 21, 2018
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events :)

musum, Mar 21, 2018
  4. ddelo Win User

From the log file, something seems to be corrupted or missing.

From an elevated command prompt:
    Start with: SFC /scannow

and if the problem is not solved, try:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

ddelo, Mar 22, 2018
  5. spilly Win User
    Thanks Dimitri.
    I'd like to make two small points

• The MS article on SFC here says under Win 10 users should run DISM before SFC, not after.

• The error message says "PowerShell has stopped working". When I browsed the DISM options, all the options are in verb-noun style, very like PowerShell. I'm worried DISM itself may need a reliable, working, PowerShell, and PS is the problem I need to fix.
    For this reason, I think I'll follow your recommended SFC first, then DISM + SFC if problem remains. SFC is a much older utility, and may not need a fully functional PS service.

spilly, Mar 22, 2018
  6. spilly Win User
    This is an update on the problem, with some sample event log details

PowerShell started crashing on 14th Feb, and ever since crashes many times daily.
    (2,800 ERROR log entries so far, on the filtered log)

Each time, the user gets this error window

which he closes and tries to carry on using the system. When left idle for a while, there can be 20 error windows to close

Actions taken:
    As recommmended by Ddelo, I have run chkdsk C: /f /r, and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and SFC.exe /scannow No problems found; PS still fails frequently

What I now need...
    ...is advice on what to do next.
    As a last resort, I could restore a Feb 1st backup of C: , and then recover the current set of user data files (all in D: ). As an absolute last ditch I could re-burn the entire system I suppose.

Sample Event log entries
    Here are some relevant event log entries ("PowerShell_Crash.DOCX" attached)
    - each error instance creates up to three pairs of error log entries.

The pairs are 98% identical, so I've pasted a single sample of each

I looked in Code: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive[/quote] , and found 500 folders there, all named AppCrash_powershell.exe..., each of which contains a Code: Report.WER[/quote] file - sample attached
    The WER\tmp folder contains a couple of .tmp.dmp files - size under 500KB if useful

Any practical suggestions gratefully received

Attached: Report.WER.txt + PowerShell_Crash.DOCX containing error log text

Hardware of error system
    Dell Inspiron 17R 6GB RAM, 1x120GB mSATA SSD for system, 1x1TB HDD for user data
    Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.50 GHz

spilly, Mar 22, 2018
  7. ddelo Win User
    Just to rule out the possibility, why don't you run an Offline scan:

Windows Defender > Virus and threat protection > Scan History – Advanced scan > Windows Defender Offline scan

ddelo, Mar 23, 2018
  8. spilly Win User

I did as you suggested, but it found nothing and the bug is still there

I have since established this is caused by the Feb Windows Update package.
    If I uninstall all Cum Patches back to Build 192, the fault goes away.
    When WU installs any higher build, the fault recurs immediately after installing the new build

I'm using Win 10 Home x64, so updates are forced on me sooner or later*Devil

Googling did not find many others with my symptoms, so I'm fearful the bug will remain unfixed for a while (because the bug does not appear on My other laptop already at the latest build).
    I will await my fate...

NB Since I've discovered this is a WU bug, I've posted my problem in a new thread in the Windows Update forum

spilly, Mar 23, 2018
  9. ddelo Win User
    ddelo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Multiple "Powershell has stopped working" events - Similar Threads - Multiple Powershell has

2. Windows PowerShell has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows PowerShell has stopped working: Recently I faced an issue on a Virtual Machine windows server 2012 R2 hosted on Hyper-V, where PowerShell and CMD can't openPlease advise about the solution...
  3. Windows PowerShell has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows PowerShell has stopped working: Recently I faced an issue on a Virtual Machine windows server 2012 R2 hosted on Hyper-V, where PowerShell and CMD can't openPlease advise about the solution...
  4. Microsoft store stopped working and powershell step not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store stopped working and powershell step not working: any ideas. had an issue with the microsoft store, it led to resetting dates and times, troubleshooting steps to repair and then reset etc, etc. All the easy stuff basically :. then the store no longer opens or works. trying to follow the advice to use the powershell to reset...
  5. Powershell event log

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Powershell event log: I have many of these in my event logs : POWERSHELL...task category execute a remote command :Creating Scriptblock text 1 of 1:# Copyright © 2008, Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.#Common utility functionsImport-LocalizedData -BindingVariable localizationString...
  6. _______ has stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    _______ has stopped working.: So for the past few weeks, I have seemed to lose more and more functionality of my computer. I use a full-sized desktop, and recently more and more, I would open an application and all except a small minority would close after a few seconds of being open if that. I've...
  7. Windows PowerShell crashes after flashing with error PowerShell_ise has stopped working

in Windows 10 News
    Windows PowerShell crashes after flashing with error PowerShell_ise has stopped working: [ATTACH]Windows PowerShell is indeed a very capable tool to work with, that can help […] This article Windows PowerShell crashes after flashing with error PowerShell_ise has stopped working first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. UIAutomation Events on Powershell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    UIAutomation Events on Powershell: I'm trying to listen UIAutomation events using Powershell, and wrote somethings like this. $propChangeHandler= [System.Windows.Automation.AutomationPropertyChangedEventHandler]# <summary># Adds a handler for property-changed event in particular, a change in the enabled...
  9. PowerShell script pinned to taskbar has stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell script pinned to taskbar has stopped working: I made a very simple PowerShell script to open my display settings so that I could quickly change the display scale, which I pinned to my taskbar. It worked fine until today, when it stopped working from the taskbar, although it still works if I right-click on the script in...
  10. After Windows 10 upgrade getting PowerShell has stopped working error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After Windows 10 upgrade getting PowerShell has stopped working error: After I updated to Windows 10 I get multiple "Powershell has stopped working" errors. How do I get rid of this error. Things I have tried: Downloaded Malwarebytes and ran scan - did not fix issue. Downloaded RegCurePro and ran scan - did not fix issues. Any ideas?...