Windows 10: Multiple search & preview problems

Discus and support Multiple search & preview problems in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have been experiencing an accumulating number of small problems on my laptop - starting with not being able to use the search bar on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by framericaine, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Multiple search & preview problems

Hello,

I have been experiencing an accumulating number of small problems on my laptop - starting with not being able to use the search bar on the task bar nor the search function in windows explorer.

In addition, when I click on the start button and start scrolling through the list of applications to choose one, the start menu will automatically close itself.

Most recently, I now have a problem previewing Word or Excel files attached to an email I have a message saying no previewer is installed and when I try to open them, I get a message saying "Word experienced an error trying to open the file". So each time, I have to forward them to a colleague and have them save the file on our drive in order for me to access it.

I have windows 10 pro and have completed all the necessary updates, and yes - rebooted my computer several times. I have also tried several of the help pages here, including all of the steps in: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520146/fix-problems-in-windows-search, however I often get messages that my access is restricted even though I am an administrator of my computer.

Thank you in advance for your help!

:)

framericaine, Jul 9, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jul 9, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Multiple search & preview problems

Preview pane doesn't work in Windows 10

Hi RuthZekowski,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Are you facing issue with all your files or any particular files?
    2. Which version of Windows you are using?
    3. Since when are you facing this issue?

The Preview pane shows the contents of certain files selected in File Explorer. For images, it is a thumbnail preview.

If you are unable to preview in File explorer, I suggest you to try the below steps.

1. Open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.
    2. Click Options, and then click Change folder and search options to open Folder Options dialog.
    3. Check the Show preview handlers in preview pane box, and click/tap on OK.​

Please reply for all the required information to help you further.

Hope it helps.

Mithin_EJ, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Multiple search & preview problems

1. Multiple search & preview problems - Similar Threads - Multiple search preview

2. Web Search Preview is not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web Search Preview is not working.: Recently I have been facing an issue where I cannot see the preview of any web search. Whenever I wish to do a quick search, I am unable to do it. This has been happening since the recent update. I have already tried the troubleshoot method but it says that no problems were...
  3. Web Search Preview is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web Search Preview is not working.: Recently I have been facing an issue where I cannot see the preview of any web search. Whenever I wish to do a quick search, I am unable to do it. This has been happening since the recent update. I have already tried the troubleshoot method but it says that no problems were...
  4. Multiple Problems.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple Problems.: Good day, guys!May someone help me? Aside from the problem while booting and sometimes a sudden blue screen, I have this problem with my laptop, that I can't install any software and says that I have no admin rights eventhough my user is an administrator. Also, I can't update...
  5. multiple problems

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    multiple problems: Tried to change phone number on MS account but no access for a month,so tried to cancel but verification code won`t type in can't create new account as when I try to buy something it only goes to page where access is denied.Would like to cancel account and get a new one.Help...
  6. Custom search (multiple folders)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Custom search (multiple folders)?: In Windows 7 you could combine folders for custom search, I can't find that option anywhere in Windows 10. For example, I want to search for the same phrase in Folder A, Folder B, Folder C, Folder D and Folder E at the same time instead of having to search the same phrase in...
  7. Multiple problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple problems: I think this all relates to the 1909 upgrade but have reverted to 1903 and the problems persist. Problem 1. My Epson XP-720 printer is now listed as a "Device" and as such will not print unless I load the print queue and then restart the computer. Problem 2. The computer...
  8. Search for multiple persons in Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search for multiple persons in Photos: Hi, Recently I used the Photos App pn Windows 10 for the first time and impressed with its search quality. Have a question: Is there any way to search for pictures with more than one person in it? For example I want to find pictures that includes two specific persons....
  9. Multiple Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple Problems: After having some hard disk issue. It turned out that my hard disk cable connection was lose. Now i can boot to my windows 10 normally. But i am experiencing many issues at the same time: 1. cannot open Computer Management 2. cannot perform sfc /scannow "Windows Resource...
  10. Preview problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preview problem: I have a preview upgrade stuck in Win 7 update folder. I have edited the registry and everything I can think of. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? Thanks 5703