Windows 10: Multiple USB Hub devices not working properly on Windows 10

Discus and support Multiple USB Hub devices not working properly on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have multiple USB hub devices that are not working on Windows 10 for me. Specifically, I am trying to plug in my mouse and keyboard into a USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eric_85, May 24, 2020.

1. eric_85 Win User

Multiple USB Hub devices not working properly on Windows 10

Hi,

I have multiple USB hub devices that are not working on Windows 10 for me. Specifically, I am trying to plug in my mouse and keyboard into a USB hub, that is then plugged into a single USB port on my PC tower. When I do this, my mouse and keyboard are recognized, and work, but will disconnect and reconnect within 2 minutes of being plugged into the hub. The frequency that they disconnect renders them completely useless... and sometimes they disconnect and never regain connection.

I've seen similar issues posted on these forums in the past, but have not been able to come to a solution that has worked for me so far. So I'd like to document the steps I've taken so far to narrow down the issue to Windows 10 specifically, and see if anyone has any further suggestions for things to try.

So I know the issue is specific to Windows 10 for the following reasons:

1. The mouse and keyboard work without issue when plugged directly into individual USB ports on my PC.
    2. I have tested 4 different USB hub devices. An un-powered USB hub, an optionally powered USB KM Switch, a Dell monitor with built in USB connectivity, and another Dell monitor with a built in KM switch, and I have tested using every single USB port on my PC.
    3. All 4 devices I have tested work on 2 Mac laptops without issue.
    4. All 4 devices I have tested work on the BIOS of the same PC without issue.
    5. All 4 devices work on a Linux boot on the same PC without issue.

Given that, I have attempted the following steps that have been recommended online, none of which worked for me.

1. Restarted my computer -- many times.
    2. Updated Windows to the latest version -- many times.
    3. Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controller -> Select USB Hub -> Power Management -> Uncheck "Allow this computer to turn of device" option. I have done this for everything under Universal Serial Bus Controller, and even Human Interface Devices for good measure.
    4. Same steps as above, but Uninstalled and Re-Install all drivers instead.
    5. Same steps as above, but Updated Drivers instead.
    6. Disabled "USB Selective Suspend setting" in the advanced settings in Power Options.
    7. Added the "DisableSelectiveSuspend" option in Registry Editor -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB Note. USB was not an available option on my PC, so I added it. As a result, I'm not certain that I did this properly to have an effect anyway.
    8. Reset Computer with Remove Everything option.

I have not yet tried a clean install, as my understanding was Resetting with Remove Everything was essentially the same, but I'm willing to give it a shot at some point, if anyone thinks it's worth a try.

So that's it. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much information as I could.

I'll leave my relevant hardware information, despite the fact that I know it's not a hardware issue:
    USB Hubs tested - Logitech 4 port usb hub, UGREEN USB Switch Selector, Dell S2716DG, Dell U3417W.
    Mouse - Razer DeathAdder Elite
    Keyboards - Ducky ONE and Drop Alt
    Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix X370-F
    Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 2600

:)

eric_85, May 24, 2020
  2. Nailezs Win User

win8.1 and inoperable case usb hub

Hey guys,

I did a fresh install of win8 and updated/installed to win8.1. Now my usb2.0 hub on my case is completely inoperable. The hub did work on my previous install of win8. Devices work when installed onto the usb ports of the motherboard. I figure that this is some type of windows driver issue, being that usb support is supposed to be native in win8.1, I just don't know what driver it is or where to download it.
    Or I could be completely wrong.

Any idea's or suggestions?

EDIT: I noticed that devices are getting power then plugged into the hub, the OS is just not recognizing them. I've tried this with my usb headphones and a usb drive.

Nailezs, May 24, 2020
  3. Champ Win User
    USB help

So let's say a motherboard has only 2 USB ports. Using an USB hub, would multiple device used in that hub work properly and not try to fight over that same port?

Champ, May 24, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Ant+ Stick only works in USB Hub

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know the model of the Lenovo Yoga that you are using?
    2. What is the BIOS version of the laptop?
    3. Are the other USB devices working fine on the Lenovo Yoga?

This issue could be caused when the system is not able to detect the USB connected to a single hub, or could also be an issue with USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 support.

Method 1:

1. Try to disable any antivirus program you have on the computer and try to next step.
    2. As you are connecting multiple USB to a single hub, you can try the troubleshooting

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend

Disclaimer: If you have Windows 10, you’ll get the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Defender is on and
    actively helping to protect your PC by scanning for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your PC. Windows Update downloads updates for Windows Defender
    automatically to help keep your PC safe and protect it from threats.

Method 2:

If you still face the issue and the USB is not detected, you can try

automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

I also suggest you to contact your manufacturer and update the chipset driver of the laptop and check if that helps.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Multiple USB Hub devices not working properly on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Multiple USB Hub

2. USB Wireless Device Not Properly working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Wireless Device Not Properly working: After Update My Dell 5510 window 11 Home USB does Not Reconised or Not working,when working out of order or the text cursor might move unexpectedly in apps and system hangs this is DELL wireless device working properly in other devices and other location device but in this...
  3. USB Wireless Device Not Properly working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Wireless Device Not Properly working: After Update My Dell 5510 window 11 Home USB does Not Reconised or Not working,when working out of order or the text cursor might move unexpectedly in apps and system hangs this is DELL wireless device working properly in other devices and other location device but in this...
  4. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Hub not working: My USB hub is not working j5 create 7 port usb hub JUH377When I plug things into the USB Hub I hear constant connecting and disconnecting sounds and none of the peripherals appearI've tried connecting the hub to all usb ports and the same issue occursI've connected other...
  5. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Hub not working: My USB hub is not working j5 create 7 port usb hub JUH377When I plug things into the USB Hub I hear constant connecting and disconnecting sounds and none of the peripherals appearI've tried connecting the hub to all usb ports and the same issue occursI've connected other...
  6. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB Hub Not Working On One Device On Some Ports

USB Hub Not Working On One Device On Some Ports: I have an ASUS TUF A15 FA506IV that I've been using for about 5 months. Ever since I've had it, I've been using a Blackweb USB 3.0 hub with it with no issues... ...until yesterday when it stopped working. My computer would make the normal device connected sound and would...
  8. USB Hub not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Hub not working: I have a new computer and a USB hub I used with my old computer is not being recognized not is any peripherals. I have done all the troubleshooting online with no success any suggestions?...
  9. A USB Hub prevents Windows shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A USB Hub prevents Windows shutting down properly: Hey guys, I have a weird issue, this issue came back from release 1903, where my system wont shutdown, but instead, restarts. After several hours of troubleshooting, I realized that my USB hub is the cause of the system not shutting down properly. A quick visit to disable...
  10. USB type c hub not working properly

USB type c hub not working properly: Hello all, I recently purchased a type C hub with 3 type a ports. My aim was to plug my wireless mouse and keyboard into the hub to free up some usb ports on my laptop. The laptop is an Asus ROG GL502. However, I found that if I plugged in my mouse and keyboard, they...