Windows 10: Multiple / Virtual Desktop

Discus and support Multiple / Virtual Desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 7, running Windows 10 2004. Why can I not get multiple Desktop's?? Is this because I have the home version?? Mark... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MarkAllen1975, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Multiple / Virtual Desktop

I have a Surface Pro 7, running Windows 10 2004.

Why can I not get multiple Desktop's??

Is this because I have the home version??

Mark

:)

MarkAllen1975, Oct 8, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 8, 2020
  3. sirBait Win User
    Virtual desktops

In the article you linked it says talks about 4 goals Microsoft has with virtual desktops:

• Give you more desktop space to group related windows
    • Help you quickly locate and switch to any window or group of windows
    • Let you easily re-organize your groups and move windows as tasks evolve
    • Keep you in control of the degree of separation between your grouped windows
    Not being able to control what desktop the program opens on really doesn't fit in with these goals.

Give me one good reason for why it is suppose force me to change virtual desktop when I open a program, just one good reason and I will consider to drop the issue. To me this sounds like virtual desktops isn't ready yet and you refuse to acknowledge that
    there are bugs, because this makes it very hard to work with multiply virtual desktops.

sirBait, Oct 8, 2020
  4. Multiple / Virtual Desktop

Ramesh.Kumar, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

Multiple / Virtual Desktop

1. Multiple / Virtual Desktop - Similar Threads - Multiple Virtual Desktop

2. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup: I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the desktop on both screens. I want only the active or primary display should switch display when the action triggers. I am open to...
  3. Virtual Desktops between multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops between multiple displays: When are you going to incorporate the option for multiple desktops between multiple displays, instead of just an extended display? This would be really useful. Thank you....
  4. Multiple Virtual Desktops on one view

Multiple Virtual Desktops on one view: OS Build 18363.1316 I have a very large monitor that I would like to "split" into four sections and with each section running a separate virtual desktop. I hope to have four virtual desktops "active" on one monitor at a time Is is possible to snap virtual desktops rather...
  5. Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10: I bought a second monitor recently and everything was working as expected till I started switching between the Virtual Desktops. Whenever I switch the Virtual Desktops in one monitor, it switches in the other monitor as well, is there a way I can display a different virtual...
  6. Is it possible to have multiple "Desks" (Not virtual desktops)

Is it possible to have multiple "Desks" (Not virtual desktops): Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your time. My doubt is: is it possible to have multiple "desks", with different shortcuts on them? Every search I do takes me to the Virtual Desktops option, which is very useful for me but not what I'm looking for. The reason can...
  7. Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor

Switching multiple virtual desktops on external monitor: Hi everyone, I need some help with switching virtual desktops. I used to have a MacBook pro and I was able to switch between multiple desktops on both my laptop and the monitor external display. I wasn't to be able to do the same, however when I switch desktops on my...
  8. Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors

Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors: I was delighted to find Windows now has Virtual Desktops which I love. I like having all my work windows on one desktop and then any personal browsing and messaging applications on another. However and this is my use case I work on two monitors with my IDE Development...
  9. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...
  10. Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops: Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T. 7293