Windows 10: Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked

Discus and support Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The music and pictures system folders, that appear in 'this PC', have become linked somehow. The two folders that these link to are on a separate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by abba2566, Jun 16, 2017.

1. abba2566 Win User

Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked

The music and pictures system folders, that appear in 'this PC', have become linked somehow.

The two folders that these link to are on a separate hard drive and so after installing windows, I right clicked>Properties>Location>move>location on other drive.

This worked fine for Documents, Downloads and Videos but in doing this, the pictures and music folders ended up being linked, so they both linked to the same folder. Doing the same move as above now moves the target of both folders meaning I can either have them both linking to music or both linking to pictures.

Is there any way of fixing this?

:)

abba2566, Jun 16, 2017

2. Error 0x80090016

Thank you for the reply,

When I opened the localservice folder, the appdata folder isn't there. The folders that I have are:

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Favourites

Links

Music

Pictures

Saved Games

Videos

winhttp

NTUSER.DAT

Is it worth trying to add those folders or are they/have they become hidden?

Regards

John

JohnBeesley, Jun 16, 2017
  3. music and pictures files seem to have merged

Ok I pre did this before reading your answer. you would use the bottom step of go to location that is incorrect. "THIS PC" I will post the whole thing.

Q 1. So C:\ Users\YOUR NAMED Folder

shows 1 music and 1 pictures folder only right?????????

Q 2. But in This PC Location (Folders And Drives) Show the 2 duplicate folders and a missing folder, from your photo posted here right?

Because I was going to tell you how to fix it, but this makes the circumstances a bit different. I just want to verify this. I will be back in about 20 minutes.

Ok, I don't see how This PC\Folders and C:\Users\YOUR NAME\

could show 2 different scenarios.

They both are the same location and Target Locations of C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music & C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Pictures

>>>>****** If they are the same in This PC and C:\Users\YOUR NAME of duplicates of one folder and the other one is missing Then;

For precaution of preserving your files:

Did you have music or pictures in these folders.

if so, first in C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music folder, cut and paste all music contents inside of it in to a new created folder on desktop.

Then change the name of Music to Public

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music

Right click >> properties

General Tab >> Rename it to >> Pictures

Location Tab >> Rename it to >> C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Pictures

select apply and or OK and allow the process "OK" with the verification windows.

in the end it may say it will not complete lost location, just click on cancel and it will change.

Now it is C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Pictures

open it and cut and paste all picture contents inside of it in to a new created folder on desktop.

Ok now, right click on Pictures Folder

select Cut and right click on desktop and click paste.

You will have a 2nd System Pictures Folder, which is different than just creating a new folder and naming it.

There is one on Desktop and one in C:\Users\YOUR NAME

as the cut and paste function will also leave the Pictures folder in C:\Users\YOUR NAME, unlike moving a normal folder by cut and paste.

Now go to the Pictures Folder on Desktop

Right click >> properties

General Tab >> Rename it to >> Music

Location Tab >> Rename it to >> C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Music

select apply and or OK and allow the process "OK"with the verification windows.

in the end it may say it will not complete lost location, just click on cancel and it will change.

Now you should have System Music and System Pictures Folders in C:\Users\YOUR NAME

Now cut music content from new created folder on desktop and paste into Music folder

Now cut pictures content from new created folder on desktop and paste into Pictures folder.

>>>>****** If they are different in This PC and C:\Users\YOUR NAME, such as one is correct and the other is incorrect, go to the incorrect location; and do the same above procedure.

except first, save the music and picture content from inside these 2 folders that are in correct location in to temp created folders on desktop as mentioned earlier.

When done, put music and pictures content from temp folders back in to Music and Pictures.

Then delete the 2 temp folders you created.

Restart PC

If there is a folder left on the desktop named Pictures or Music delete it. But before you empty the recycle bin, go to C:users\YOUR NAME

and make sure that the 2 folders are there and content is inside.

Then empty recycle bin.

This can be done more easier for me in safe mode and also using the security settings to reset system folders. The system folder compared to regular folders have a LOCATION TAB and it can be tricky to fix system folder corruption. And you are already working
    with a corrupt folder that needs to be reset to its proper target location and since you have a duplicate that makes it ......

I actually did this on mine (it worked but I restored mine back with system image in 10 minutes), although I did not have a duplicate M or P folder, I deleted My Pictures system folder and then used the other one like I explained above, Music, and the duplicate
    created music folder to desktop "cut and paste" was changed to a system pictures folder and succeeded to my C:\users\my name folder as Pictures system folder.

Good Luck.

seahawks65, Jun 16, 2017
Thema:

Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked

1. Music and Pictures 'System Folders' have become linked - Similar Threads - Music Pictures 'System

2. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is it normal in Windows not to have a separate folder for Music? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know...
  3. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is that correct? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know how to do that without causing issues....
  4. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is that correct? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know how to do that without causing issues....
  5. Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...: I bought myself a new ssd. I was moving files, photos to the smaller drive in order to use the bigger drive for more games however when I changed the location of the folders music and pictures, it duplicated the 2 folders into one ex: both are now photos despite picturing...
  6. Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pictures and music system folder files duplicated after changing folder location to another...: I bought myself a new ssd. I was moving files, photos to the smaller drive in order to use the bigger drive for more games however when I changed the location of the folders music and pictures, it duplicated the 2 folders into one ex: both are now photos despite picturing...
  7. Music and Pictures folder issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Music and Pictures folder issue: Hello. My HDD with my files was dying, so I got a new drive. I had changed the location in properties from my C drive to the now drive before. I copy and pasted all my music, photos, and documents to the new drive. I then removed the old drive, and changed the drive letter of...
  8. Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add system folder like Documents, Pictures, Music, etc?: Hello! I started making games in Unity and I want to create a system folder called "Games". I created one in my "C:/Users/(myname)/" folder, and found out how to change the icon (here's a pic). Kind of obsessive, I know, but is there any way to make it have a folder as part...
  9. Rename music/pictures folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rename music/pictures folder: [ATTACH] hi somehow my music folder on my computer got renamed to 'Pictures' and i cant seem to change the name to Music without also having the actual Pictures folder renamed to Music, resulting in two different folders with the same archives, if that makes any sense. ill...
  10. Two 'Music' and 'Pictures' folders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Two 'Music' and 'Pictures' folders in Explorer: Hello, After installing Windows 10 a couple of years ago I followed this tutorial to relocate my 'Music' and 'Pictures' folders to my D: drive. Now, whenever Windows 10 updates, if I browse to %USERPROFILE% I see two 'Music' folders and two 'Pictures' folders in Explorer:...