Windows 10: Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart

Discus and support Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What I did before: I installed iTunes and iCloud, the latter needed the PC to restart, so I did. The PC restarted, and the lock screen appeared.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Phippey, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Phippey Win User

Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart

What I did before: I installed iTunes and iCloud, the latter needed the PC to restart, so I did. The PC restarted, and the lock screen appeared. However, I couldn't type or click anything, both my keyboard and mouse seemed to not be recognized at all. I pressed and held the power button to restart the PC once again. This time, I got a black background with white text at the bottom saying it was repairing my D drive where I have my music and videos folder stored on. It looked like this if I remember correctly:Image

After it had completed doing this, I could log into my account. That's when I saw that there weren't any videos in my videos folder, it was totally empty. Same with my music folder. Everything else seems to have been left unchanged. So what happened here? Is there a way to recover or maybe even just find the files?

What's odd but also give me some hope is that there is still as much space left on my D drive as before this incident. At least that's what it shows for the D drive under "This PC":

Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart 5c20f048-e940-429a-bf61-c2e3ffeb652d?upload=true.png

My videos and music combined were around 1-1.5 TB in size for reference.

As for recovery tools: Recuva wasn't able to find anything. DiskDrill predicts to take like 20 hours for a scan haven't completed a full scan, but seems to find at least some files. PhotoRec also takes very long and is restoring files, but without their original names.

It looks to me like the files aren't quite deleted yet, but somehow hidden where I can't access them is there a difference then....?. So it there maybe a simple solution to get my files/folders back?

:)

Phippey, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Steve C Win User

What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

You can't redirect the shortcut links which is the subject of the post

Steve C, Dec 17, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart

What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

The link has the following advice that, of course, does NOT work in Win10 !

Workaround

If the My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos links in the Start menu do not point to the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos folders, you must manually redirect these links to the correct folders. To redirect these links, follow these steps:
    1. Click Startthe Start button , right-click the link, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Location tab, replace the wrong target location with the correct target location. For example, to redirect the My Music folder to the Music folder in Windows Vista, enter %systemdrive%\Users\user_name\Music.
    3. Click Apply.

If this was a fix for Vista, it seems kind of sloppy to keep it around !

- - - Updated - - -

If you CHECK THIS BOX they disappear.

theoldwizard1, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart

1. Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart - Similar Threads - Music videos folders

2. Empty music folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty music folder?: Hi,Music files that I store on my pc have become unavailable after a Windows update. I don't access them regularly, so I'm not sure which update it was.All of the files show that there is data for my songs or albums, but if I open a folder it says that the folder is empty....
  3. Empty music folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Empty music folder?: Hi,Music files that I store on my pc have become unavailable after a Windows update. I don't access them regularly, so I'm not sure which update it was.All of the files show that there is data for my songs or albums, but if I open a folder it says that the folder is empty....
  4. Folder empty after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder empty after update: I just restarted my computer as a part of a Windows update and a seemingly random folder is now empty. I'm checking other folders but so far have not found any others. It was a folder in my pictures folder that contained sub folders and video and picture files. Documents,...
  5. Folder empty after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder empty after update: I just restarted my computer as a part of a Windows update and a seemingly random folder is now empty. I'm checking other folders but so far have not found any others. It was a folder in my pictures folder that contained sub folders and video and picture files. Documents,...
  6. Folder empty after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Music folder is empty?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Music folder is empty?: I opened my Windows Media Player, showed all my music like normal and as I'm trying to get it to recognize my phone, WMP refreshed and showed no music. I checked the library folder location in WMP, it was correct. Went to the music folder and it's empty! The only change...
  8. One Drive - empty folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive - empty folders: Background: I have been having issued with my outlook. So IT department says "they have to do a 1909 update and if that doesn't fix it then they will do a reimage." So first, they wanted me to copy all my docs from my computer to OneDrive. Worked great. for about 2 weeks...
  9. One Drive folders empty

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive folders empty: Hi , I am in a terrible state as my One Drive folders are there but are empty inside. Please can someone help? Thanks Lynne https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-folders-empty/edb3e80d-0567-4425-b90b-d86065ad9904
  10. One Drive Folders empty after Windows 10 reset

in Microsoft Office and 365
    One Drive Folders empty after Windows 10 reset: I decided to do a reset this morning. Before I did so I dragged the folders I wanted to keep into OneDrive. After the reset, the folders are there but the files are empty. Any ideas? 137306