Windows 10: Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names

Discus and support Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi folks For people wanting a similar facility to Mp3vtag on Linux whether as a VM or Host -- puddletag works brilliantly -- also by right clicking on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Jul 11, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names

Hi folks

For people wanting a similar facility to Mp3vtag on Linux whether as a VM or Host -- puddletag works brilliantly -- also by right clicking on the file it will pull in the relevant player for the file type --in this example it pulls in VLC for FLAC

I recommend this over Windows because if you have loads of music etc Windows has a hideous path + directory + file name (which might include the track name too) of around 250 chars -- not enough these days --> 250 chars you get an unreadable 8.3 file name --Linux has no such restrictions so I do all my Music stuff in Linux these days. I have around 3 - 4 TB of music files.

Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 11, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Media tagging --Mp3vtag with long file names --alternative here

Hi there.

Mp3vtag is obviously an excellent program for tagging multi media etc but unfortunately it suffers the same problem as other windows programs that make use of file explorer (or api calls to it) - namely you come up against the file / directory / length limitation (260 chars approx) which you can easily reach if you have large music collections on big HDD's and want decent descriptions in directory / file names.

However if you have a VM that can run Linux or have your multi-media files stored on a NAS server there's a program called puddletag (free naturally) which does the same thing as mp3vtag and doesn't have the file name restriction.

example of long file names etc that windows can't handle

Loads of useful functions too

Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 11, 2019
  3. pupko Win User
    mp4 music files>right tagging

hi there,

could somebody try to explain how i have to tag mp4 music files for the belle music player to read the tags correctly? i converted some albums with nero aac decoder, the files play fine on my 701, but no information is shown (unknown artist, unknown album)
    although the tagging is correct. Desktop players like foobar2000 show all the album information (album cover, artist, song name).

any suggestions?

thank you very much for reading and have a nice day.

vc

pupko, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names

Music player/manager.

Is there any music player like winamp but can search within a playlist to let you que up songs to play before the other items in the list you are playing? Or instead of duplicating files in a list to get them to play more you can just raise their shuffle priority?

So many music players hate winamp playlists or can’t handle drag and drop to make a new playlist or just have screwy UI(music bee/ AIMP seem half broken), I’m almost desperate enough to try itunes again, from when I had a Itouch it was not that bad..well importing/exporting playlists was dumb now that I recall..

The only other music player that I kinda liked was mediamonkey but it was kinda bloated, tho since I am no longer needing to run foobar as a thing for podcasts since I used plugins to resume multi hou long pod casts, I may can try it…but I dunno.

I don’t care about tagging,ect I go mainly by file name, queing songs or playlists to play one by one before going back to the main inf repeat shuffled playlist you are playing would be nice but audio balancing/replay gain to try and keep audio levels balanced is kinda a must as is easy of drag and drop to make playlists.

ZippyDSMlee, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names

1. Music tags and player on Linux VM - like Mp3vtag with LONG file names - Similar Threads - Music tags player

2. File name too long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File name too long: I still have an issue with the error "the file name is too long", although it is not. Ihave changed the value in the longpathsenable Keyloccalmachine using registry editor, restarted and same issue !Please advise !...
  3. Re-named Music Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-named Music Files: Up until this afternoon, my Music Files only had the artist & song title in Alphabetical order but after trying to stop Windows Office from opening Word & Excel Files, as I have purchased Office 365, I deleted Windows Office which I believe had an affect on then, not being...
  4. Re-named Music Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-named Music Files: Up until this afternoon, my Music Files only had the artist & song title in Alphabetical order but after trying to stop Windows Office from opening Word & Excel Files, as I have purchased Office 365, I deleted Windows Office which I believe had an affect on then, not being...
  5. Re-named Music Files

6. get_iplayer users -fix missing AtomicParsley for tagging - Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    get_iplayer users -fix missing AtomicParsley for tagging - Linux VM's: Hi folks Those of you using the get_iplayer on Linux VM's to download programs from BBC and are getting AtomicParsley errors when the application wants to tag the programs you need AtomicParsley version 0.9.7 here's the fix : run these in a terminal : "wget...
  7. File name too long

in Windows 10 Support
    File name too long: I run Win10: [img] And a browser save on the HDD disk, with filename counting 255 letters. And I cannot rename it, move it, or delete it. And I have enabled in the group policy Win32 long file names: Enable or Disable Win32 Long Paths in Windows 10 How can I get rid of...
  8. Music Tags Disappears

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Music Tags Disappears: All tags and details from a music mp3 file disappear after I try to add a contributing artist. The cover art disappears as well, however, the music file still plays. How to fix? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  9. Media tagging --Mp3vtag with long file names --alternative here

Media tagging --Mp3vtag with long file names --alternative here: Hi there. Mp3vtag is obviously an excellent program for tagging multi media etc but unfortunately it suffers the same problem as other windows programs that make use of file explorer (or class to it) - namely you come up gainst the file / directory / length limitation (260...
  10. Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!)

Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!): Hi folks If you use Linux on a NAS or on a VM (Virtual Machine) there's an alternative to the Windows Mp3tag (very good but unfortunately suffers from problem windows has with long file names -- not Mp3tag's fault I hasten to add). Program is puddletag -- on Ubuntu /...