Windows 10: Must I use a MS account before OS reinstallation or it wont activate?

Discus and support Must I use a MS account before OS reinstallation or it wont activate? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My aunt bought a used Windows 10 laptop, OEM licence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is legal, since a OEM licence is tied to a particular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kmph, Jul 15, 2020.

1. kmph Win User

Must I use a MS account before OS reinstallation or it wont activate?

My aunt bought a used Windows 10 laptop, OEM licence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is legal, since a OEM licence is tied to a particular device, so one can sell their copy of Windows as long as they also sell the device? (that is, it is legal for my aunt to use this Windows laptop?)

Because the laptop is used, to be on the safe side, I asked my aunt for permission to do a clean OS reinstall. It seems reasonable for me to wipe the disk and do a clean OS reinstall if buying a used computer.

However, there is one thing that stops me. From the article Reinstall Windows 10 on support.microsoft.com:

Wait, what? After version 1607 it is not enough for Windows to take the activation key from the motherboard, as it used to be? If I simply wipe the disk and reinstall Windows it won't activate, I MUST first create a Microsoft account and link it to the system before wiping the disk? So I need to connect to the internet a system that contains who-knows-what and use it to set up an account?

Inspection of the bought system revealed that it only has one local account and is not linked to any Microsoft account. Good - it seems that connecting the licence to a new Microsoft account is possible. Nonetheless, I would like to avoid it if possible, for the following reasons:

1. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but again, I have doubts about connecting to the internet a system that contains who-knows-what and use it to set up an account;
    2. The computer belongs to my aunt and not to me and as far as I'm aware my aunt is VERY strict with not providing her personal data to anyone if possible and, as far as I'm aware, Microsoft accounts now require a phone number;
    3. Really, is it now necessary to have an internet connection and provide a phone number to Microsoft to use a computer because else the system won't activate? This seems kind of ridiculous to me.

But running winver in the bought computer revealed windows version 2004, build 19041.329, which is newer than 1607. Also the laptop seems fairly recent so it seems probable that the laptop's manufacturer preinstalled a Windows version newer than 1607 in the first place.

Do I have to set up a Microsoft account and link it to this computer before reinstalling the OS?

:)

2. JackKnapp Win User

Windows 10 Reinstall using different MS Account

I have reinstalled windows a couple different times (Reset, Recovery, and clean install) but every time I cannot activate - the Activation window is blank.

Could it be I am using a different MS Account for the reinstall? Checking my two MS accounts I see that this serial version of windows is now linked to both accounts (but it is NOT activated). Any suggestion on what to do? Do I need to disconnect the
    serial from the old MS account so it can be activated using the new MS account?

Thanks

JackKnapp, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jul 15, 2020
  4. gzt7d8 Win User

What User Account should I use for PC to be sold

I'm going to sell my PC but before I do, I'm going to put a clean install on the machine. As part of a normal installation steps, you normally login to your MS Account. But I don't want to put my account on the machine, I'm hoping you have a solution that will allow me to put some local/temp user account that the new owner can then login with their MS account name and password after they purchase the PC.

I looked through the User Tutorials but nothing jumped out at me.

What do you suggest?

Greg

gzt7d8, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Must I use a MS account before OS reinstallation or it wont activate? - Similar Threads - Must account before

2. Win 10 Activation. Must reinstall?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Activation. Must reinstall?: I have installed Win 10 via Boot Camp on an apple MBP using an iso from microsoft. I was a fight, and I don't want to reinstall windows. If I buy an activation code must I enter it durring the installan prosses, None of the instructions on line mention adding the code to an...
  3. Win 10 Activation. Must reinstall?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Activation. Must reinstall?: I have installed Win 10 via Boot Camp on an apple MBP using an iso from microsoft. I was a fight, and I don't want to reinstall windows. If I buy an activation code must I enter it durring the installan prosses, None of the instructions on line mention adding the code to an...
  4. Win 10 Activation. Must reinstall?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Must duplicate display before extending

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Must duplicate display before extending: After a graphics driver update about a month ago some of my display settings are not working properly, mainly that sometimes my computer will snap out of extending to both my monitors for a number of reasons and in order to get it back I have to first select duplicate,...
  6. Must duplicate display before extending

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Must duplicate display before extending: After a graphics driver update about a month ago some of my display settings are not working properly, mainly that sometimes my computer will snap out of extending to both my monitors for a number of reasons and in order to get it back I have to first select duplicate,...
  7. Backup files or system image before reinstalling OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup files or system image before reinstalling OS?: Hi guys, So i'm trying to do a clean OS reinstallation (Windows 10) and I would love if my files as well as all my application can be restored easily so I would have exactly the same system as before (but with a clean install of the OS). This means my windows settings,...
  8. Must sign out of other user accounts before I sign into a new user account

Must sign out of other user accounts before I sign into a new user account: Hi, After a windows update build 1909 several setting were changed on my laptop. I've been able to use group policy to re-enable task manager and using the shutdown/lock/log out buttons on the start menu. However, windows is insisting that I logout of all other user...
  9. Windows 10 Reinstall using different MS Account

Windows 10 Reinstall using different MS Account: I have reinstalled windows a couple different times (Reset, Recovery, and clean install) but every time I cannot activate - the Activation window is blank. Could it be I am using a different MS Account for the reinstall? Checking my two MS accounts I see that this serial...
  10. Must restart before I can log on

in Windows 10 Support
    Must restart before I can log on: Hello, This is not an urgent, "my computer is broken" sort of thing, but rather a "this annoys the crap out of me" sort of thing. SO, it's simple: every time I turn on my computer, I must restart it exactly one time before I can log on. This includes when my computer...