Windows 10: Must Stop Both Automatic Updates and Automatic Notifications!

Discus and support Must Stop Both Automatic Updates and Automatic Notifications! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Greetings, I have Windows 10 Home Edition, like millions of others. Like millions of others, I prefer to hibernate my computer rather than shut it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Toth, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Toth Win User

Must Stop Both Automatic Updates and Automatic Notifications!

Greetings,

I have Windows 10 Home Edition, like millions of others. Like millions of others, I prefer to hibernate my computer rather than shut it down outright most nights. And like millions of others, I am getting awakened IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT because Windows 10 is trying to notify me about updates! Repeatedly.

When I want information about updates, I'll ask. I've turned off the Update Service on the Services tab of the Task Manager. After some hours or some days, it turns itself back on. A cat-and-mouse game with Microsoft. I have stopped the automatic updates themselves but I can't stop the stop the aggressive notifications. Should I be happy? At least the computer is no longer shutting down without warning IN THE MIDDLE OF A PROJECT THAT I'M WORKING ON to update. But it stills turns on at various hours of the night, cooking with its lid closed, to provide me unbidden notifications of updates. THIS IS MAKING ME CRAZY!

I need to stop this NOW, otherwise Microsoft can shove Windows 10 where the sun don't shine. I own this computer, not Microsoft. Can it be done? Or do I go back to Linux?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

:)

Toth, Nov 2, 2015
  2. MarkSLL Win User

Windows 10 automatic sleep function

I tried all of that and no changes. The frustrating part of this is that both my laptop and the desktop were working perfectly until the most recent MS update. Then both computers stopped performing the automatic elapsed time sleep. MS must have
    introduced a new bug in their update.

MarkSLL, Nov 2, 2015
  3. Built in microphone not working after Windows 10 update

I believe that the problem must be with some automatic Windows 10 update. When I first installes Windows 10, it all worked. However, after a couple of days, something must have instaled automatically and then the microphone stopped working. The, I resetted
    it to the time when it still worked ok, and for a couple of hours it still worked, but then, an automatic apdate happened and it stopped working again. It's quite annoying, because I cannot disable the "Automatica update" option. I actually clicked on the
    option do not automatically update drivers, but nothing happened.

Any solutions?

EsterSerra, Nov 2, 2015
  4. Must Stop Both Automatic Updates and Automatic Notifications!

Try those commands, run it as admin in CMD and restart. Not sure, if they are working on Home anymore:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

TairikuOkami, Nov 2, 2015
  5. Toth Win User
    Hi thanks, but I had already made those tweaks some time ago. They don't seem to have done the job.

Just as additional info, I just opened the Services Manager. There you see -- side-by-side -- 'Start: Disabled' and 'Status: Running' at the 'Windows Update' entry. No joke. And I disabled it weeks ago.

I would really like to get Microsoft's sweaty engineer hands out of my underwear.

--

Toth, Nov 2, 2015
  6. TairikuOkami, Nov 2, 2015
  7. Toth Win User
    Hmmm, okay we'll have to see what happens. I had disabled the Update Orchestrator task before, but not the Windows Update task. Perhaps it'll make a difference. We'll see over the next couple of weeks, I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.

Toth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Must Stop Both Automatic Updates and Automatic Notifications!

1. Must Stop Both Automatic Updates and Automatic Notifications! - Similar Threads - Must Stop Both

2. How to stop automatic updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop automatic updates: Windows 10 Pro v22H2. Used to be able to download.install Windows 10 updates when the computer wasn't being used for anything else. Windows updates automatically downloads and install on their own. How are automatic updates turned off?...
  3. How to stop automatic updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop automatic updates: Windows 10 Pro v22H2. Used to be able to download.install Windows 10 updates when the computer wasn't being used for anything else. Windows updates automatically downloads and install on their own. How are automatic updates turned off?...
  4. How to stop automatic updates

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Stop Windows 11 Update Notifications & Automatic Installation

in Windows 10 News
    Stop Windows 11 Update Notifications & Automatic Installation: Almost everyone out there is frustrated with the automatic Windows updates. While updates are important to ensure the smooth functioning of your system, they can get annoying at times. Microsoft started cumulatively installing updates since Windows 10. However, some users...
  6. how to stop automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to stop automatic updates: I have 4 Windows computers I use at work. Automatic updates happen at the worst times and often lock up the system. How do I stop or control these updates. I use my computers for audio playback on set, and you haven't lived until Spike Lee askes you to play something back...
  7. Stop automatic windows update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop automatic windows update: I want to be able to check for updates. But I don't want them automatically installed, in particular not the drivers. (One Realtek USB driver kept causing BSODs. I was ready to RMA the computer!) I also don't want to install additional software just for MS to break it. So...
  8. How to stop automatic updates

How to stop automatic updates: I do not want Microsoft interrupting valuable scientific data crunching on my computer because it wants to force an update. Data has been crunching for a few days and now it wants to do an update while there are potentially many weeks left of data calculations. How do I...
  9. How to stop automatic updates

How to stop automatic updates: Early this year I had to replace my laptop which meant an enforced "upgrade" to Windows 10. Since then, on numerous occasions, I have been denied access to my machine by an automatic update process at the whim of the microsoft geeks; the much vaunted April Update prevented...
  10. Stop Automatic Updates on windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop Automatic Updates on windows: Hello everyone can any body plz tell me how to Stop Automatic updates on windows 10??? 51160