Windows 10: mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread)

Discus and support mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; ref now locked thread mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text One of the MVP mods locked the thread after posting this: This issue happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by D_Watson, Oct 23, 2019.

1. D_Watson Win User

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread)

ref now locked thread mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

One of the MVP mods locked the thread after posting this:

This issue happens because an app is discontinued by Microsoft in a newer version. When you upgrade from version X to version Y, the apps which are no longer available on version Y may show as MS-(NAME), for example, ms-resource:AppName/Text.

Removal of entries for those apps may be involve tedious process. However, an instant resolution would be to make a clean install of newer version.

This may be partially true, but omits two key things:

1) There is absolutely nothing "instant" about a clean Windows install. Just read the link posted in the original thread. If that sounds "instant" to you, go for it. It is not instant for anybody and certainly not anybody who has lots of apps installed and lots of local data. Windows 10 is not used like ChromeOS for many users. The "tedious process" posed in the other thread is orders of magnitude less tedious and more instant than an "instant" clean Windows install. A clean install of Windows to prevent one bogus entry in Start Menu is like buying a new car to prevent getting a dirty windshield. Wouldn't it be easier to just clean the windshield? (If, that is, it were possible.)

2) Microsoft is more than welcome to take this behavior into account when an update discontinues an app. The pre-install process already takes minutes. What's a few more seconds to test the list of installed apps against the list of replaced apps and gracefully uninstall the discontinued ones? Indeed, this seems so obvious that we really shouldn't have to point it out to them. But here we are.

Finally, Microsoft moved Start Menu metadata into this inaccessible black hole of obscurity for their own reasons. And discontinued or never developed things like Troubleshooter apps to test that the data is consistent and logical and doesn't do things like show these mutant entries. Worse, they haven't added obvious functionality like a "Delete" r-click for an entry like this. It's a joke and a mess and it's all on Microsoft. And then they wonder why people mock Windows.

:)

D_Watson, Oct 23, 2019

2. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

Hi Watson,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

We would suggest you to follow the below step and let us know if that helps you.

Check for the mutant file "ms-resource:AppName/Text".
    and delete it from the below location.

• C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 23, 2019
  3. D_Watson Win User
    mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click
    choce that gets rid of it. It can be clicked on but does nothing.

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread) [​IMG]

Apparently there used to be a "Start Menu Troubleshooter" tool, but none of the historic links to it seem to link to anything now. DISM scanhealth found nothing wrong.

How do I get rid of this thing short of a) create a new user profile, b) resetting entire install and starting over, c) replacing computer?

D_Watson, Oct 23, 2019
  4. D_Watson Win User

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

LoL. That was one of the first things I checked last night.

I wasted the better part of four hours in seven different chat/Quick Access sessions with MS Support Level 1 and 2 last night. I won't go into the whole pathetic story, but it yielded nothing.

For the record, I've tried:

• check other user profile on machine--It doesn't have the "ms-resource:AppName/Text" item in its All Apps, but it does have a pinned tile with a "A great app is on its way!" tool tip and a down arrow but it never actually gets the "great app" (see screenshot
      of that problem below
    • confirmed not in user or system "Start Menu" folders
    • r-clicking in problem items and all choices offered there (uninstall not offered)
    • inspect for anomalies in Control Panel>Programs and Features
    • inspect for anomalies in Settings>Apps
    • sfc scannow
    • dism healthcheck
    • Troubleshoot Windows Store apps
    • reset Photos app (not clear what that was supposed to solve but the tech said it somehow solved most of these cases)
    • selective startup
    • safe boot
    • refresh install from ISO/Media Creation Tool, retain user data and apps
    • create new local admin test user--didn't have ms-resource:AppName/Text problem

Here's the screenshot of the "great app" tile:

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread) [​IMG]

Oh, and, yes, I've created a problem feedback. For all the good its likely to do.

D_Watson, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

1. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread) - Similar Threads - mutant entry Start

2. " This thread is locked "

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    " This thread is locked ": Is this the new way of ms defending itself ? Wherever I look tonight threads are locked.I.E. ms do read these, but are unable to solve their own problems.Within the locked threads there are still various weird ands wonderful ways around problems. Now it may or may not...
  3. thread locked?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    thread locked?: Hello community! Can anyone tell me, why this thread is locked? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/upgrade-to-windows-10-2004-fails-0x80004005/3d06bd76-aeb5-4bf1-a3a9-8a6da7b30cb6?tm=1593940266180 I want to post the solution........
  4. Locked thread

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked thread: I asked a question in this web area last july and although it was never answered it is now locked ????? Why ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locked-thread/12f9f12d-8c69-4739-b9c0-51efeb96e112
  5. Delete ms-resource:AppName/Text entry in Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    Delete ms-resource:AppName/Text entry in Windows 10 Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users have reported seeing ms-resource:AppName/Text mutant/rogue entry on Start menu after upgrading to later versions of Windows 10. In this post, we describe what this item is and how to get rid of it. The good news [...] This post Delete...
  6. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

in Windows 10 Customization
    mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text: After a volunteer moderator wrote that the solution was to do a clean install, the prior discussion was closed. Doing a clean install is NOT a valid solution. It is a time waster. After several Windows updates this problem remains. It was NOT fixed....
  7. Text entry problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Text entry problem: I have a text entry problem in that I cannot input text from my keyboard or the touchscreen keyboard. They are not unresponsive. If I just push random keys, things happen. There was a similar thread elsewhere, but the solutions involve running things using run or cmd prompts,...
  8. ms-resource

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource: Impossible to get rid of "ms-resource" apps that appears after system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-resource/50a3b08d-fb6e-4d14-86d9-c469d411e6f4
  9. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text: I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click choce that gets...
  10. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text: I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click choce that gets...