Windows 10: mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

Discus and support mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After a volunteer moderator wrote that the solution was to do a clean install, the prior discussion was closed. Doing a clean install is NOT a valid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Bluechip64, Oct 24, 2019.

1. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

After a volunteer moderator wrote that the solution was to do a clean install,

the prior discussion was closed. Doing a clean install is NOT a valid solution. It is a time waster.

After several Windows updates this problem remains. It was NOT fixed.

:)

Bluechip64, Oct 24, 2019

2. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

Hi Watson,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

We would suggest you to follow the below step and let us know if that helps you.

Check for the mutant file "ms-resource:AppName/Text".
    and delete it from the below location.

• C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Oct 24, 2019
  3. D_Watson Win User
    mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click
    choce that gets rid of it. It can be clicked on but does nothing.

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text [​IMG]

Apparently there used to be a "Start Menu Troubleshooter" tool, but none of the historic links to it seem to link to anything now. DISM scanhealth found nothing wrong.

How do I get rid of this thing short of a) create a new user profile, b) resetting entire install and starting over, c) replacing computer?

D_Watson, Oct 24, 2019
  4. D_Watson Win User

LoL. That was one of the first things I checked last night.

I wasted the better part of four hours in seven different chat/Quick Access sessions with MS Support Level 1 and 2 last night. I won't go into the whole pathetic story, but it yielded nothing.

For the record, I've tried:

• check other user profile on machine--It doesn't have the "ms-resource:AppName/Text" item in its All Apps, but it does have a pinned tile with a "A great app is on its way!" tool tip and a down arrow but it never actually gets the "great app" (see screenshot
      of that problem below
    • confirmed not in user or system "Start Menu" folders
    • r-clicking in problem items and all choices offered there (uninstall not offered)
    • inspect for anomalies in Control Panel>Programs and Features
    • inspect for anomalies in Settings>Apps
    • sfc scannow
    • dism healthcheck
    • Troubleshoot Windows Store apps
    • reset Photos app (not clear what that was supposed to solve but the tech said it somehow solved most of these cases)
    • selective startup
    • safe boot
    • refresh install from ISO/Media Creation Tool, retain user data and apps
    • create new local admin test user--didn't have ms-resource:AppName/Text problem

Here's the screenshot of the "great app" tile:

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text [​IMG]

Oh, and, yes, I've created a problem feedback. For all the good its likely to do.

D_Watson, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

1. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text - Similar Threads - mutant entry Start

2. Mutant Battle Arena

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Mutant Battle Arena: How do I access the game after purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mutant-battle-arena/66a7c2a1-3b4c-48d9-83ba-7f4312b073ab
  3. Delete ms-resource:AppName/Text entry in Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    Delete ms-resource:AppName/Text entry in Windows 10 Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users have reported seeing ms-resource:AppName/Text mutant/rogue entry on Start menu after upgrading to later versions of Windows 10. In this post, we describe what this item is and how to get rid of it. The good news [...] This post Delete...
  4. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread)

in Windows 10 Customization
    mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text (locked thread): ref now locked thread mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text One of the MVP mods locked the thread after posting this: This issue happens because an app is discontinued by Microsoft in a newer version. When you upgrade from version X to version Y, the apps which...
  5. Text entry problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Text entry problem: I have a text entry problem in that I cannot input text from my keyboard or the touchscreen keyboard. They are not unresponsive. If I just push random keys, things happen. There was a similar thread elsewhere, but the solutions involve running things using run or cmd prompts,...
  6. Slow text entry at the curser

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow text entry at the curser: When I type at the cursor, frequently the text does not appear while I am typing. After a few seconds it begins to appear one character at a time. Is this a sign that my SSD might be failing? 134482
  7. ms-resource

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-resource: Impossible to get rid of "ms-resource" apps that appears after system restore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-resource/50a3b08d-fb6e-4d14-86d9-c469d411e6f4
  8. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text: I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click choce that gets...
  9. mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text

mutant entry in Start: ms-resource:AppName/Text: I've been playing whack-a-mole with some problem Store had installing "App Installer". I've finally gotten to the point where it seems to be installed correctly. But now I have a mutant entry in Start that reads "ms-resource:AppName/Text". There is no r-click choce that gets...
  10. Add entries for Text Suggestions?

Add entries for Text Suggestions?: Is there a way for me to add 'custom' text to the Windows Text Suggestions? For example, if I type in '65', I'd like to get a suggestion for '6530-A'. Thanks for any help or advice!...