Windows 10: Mutliple desktops, open a copy of app on the desktop I'm using, not in the other desktops...

Discus and support Mutliple desktops, open a copy of app on the desktop I'm using, not in the other desktops... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise and making more use of the Desktop (Task View) functionality. Maybe I'm using it counter-intuitively,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by notonyourtintype, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Mutliple desktops, open a copy of app on the desktop I'm using, not in the other desktops...

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise and making more use of the Desktop (Task View) functionality. Maybe I'm using it counter-intuitively, but what I need are desktops organized around the people-facing tasks I do:

• Desktop 1 is focused on work email, products, files, web pages, SharePoint elements, and such.
    • Desktop 2 is focused on a large book-writing project
    • Desktop 3 is focused on self-development, learning, and courses in a specific area I'm studying

EACH of those desktops needs to run, and have open, the "normal" set of OFFICE programs as and when I need them there. Each needs browser windows.

But... suppose I've got Excel open in Desktop 2, for example, but I had to switch to Desktop 1 and I'm working there, and I use Windows Explorer to hunt up a spreadsheet related to the work I'm doing in Desktop 1. I double-click on the .xlsx file .... and I get switched to Desktop 2, where a new instance of Excel opens (new window, new task) with the file I just double-clicked on.

What I expected and need is for that file to open right in the desktop I'm in, and not on another desktop.

The same happens with browsers. If I'm using Firefox in Desktop 1, and I move to Desktop 2 and double-click a shortcut or an embedded URL... bammo, I'm back in Desktop 1 in a new tab in Firefox there, not where I need it in Desktop 2.

I read somewhere that this "task list" view is app or task centric.

I've tried setting "show this window on all desktops" or "show windows from this app on all desktops," but what I want is a "show windows from this app on the desktop that they were triggered or invoked on, without disturbing what's on the other desktops."

Help?

:)

notonyourtintype, Feb 7, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 7, 2019
  3. favourites to desktop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues with Windows.

I would suggest you to try the steps given below.

• Copy the URL from the favorites.
    • Paste it on the desktop.
    • Then double click on the URL the website will open.
    • You can also drag and drop the URL from the favorite to desktop and double click to open.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Mutliple desktops, open a copy of app on the desktop I'm using, not in the other desktops...

Desktop?

Can anyone come up with a list of parts or an already built desktop, that can handle java based games, after effects , stuff like that for under 300

A Sneaky Negro, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Mutliple desktops, open a copy of app on the desktop I'm using, not in the other desktops...

1. Mutliple desktops, open a copy of app on the desktop I'm using, not in the other desktops... - Similar Threads - Mutliple desktops open

2. Using desktop apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using desktop apps: Good afternoon,There is an issue with signing into my employee email account it constantly says there isn't an email associated with my address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-desktop-apps/484d9263-f7e2-43be-aff7-a0da3c87f4bb
  3. Using desktop apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using desktop apps: Good afternoon,There is an issue with signing into my employee email account it constantly says there isn't an email associated with my address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-desktop-apps/484d9263-f7e2-43be-aff7-a0da3c87f4bb
  4. Using desktop apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No desktop, can open task manager and use it to open other apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No desktop, can open task manager and use it to open other apps.: I've been trying to fix this but I wasn't successful, what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-desktop-can-open-task-manager-and-use-it-to/6530382f-5028-48f0-8ba8-fc50a8084648
  6. No desktop, can open task manager and use it to open other apps.

No desktop, can open task manager and use it to open other apps.: I've been trying to fix this but I wasn't successful, what can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-desktop-can-open-task-manager-and-use-it-to/6530382f-5028-48f0-8ba8-fc50a8084648
  7. No desktop, can open task manager and use it to open other apps.

8. Desktop diplay - Apps and other windows

Desktop diplay - Apps and other windows: When I open an app or a menu , the bottom half of the screen often turns white and covers part of the app. This seems to happen more often when accessing apps from the search bar which also moves to the top part of the screen when clicked. I have tried looking on other sites...
  9. app on desktop will not open

app on desktop will not open: Several apps on desktop will not open when clicked. I am using win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-on-desktop-will-not-open/89fff10e-bdb9-4f62-bcd0-4a335effffb2
  10. Copying files to Desktop: "There is not enough space on Desktop"

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files to Desktop: "There is not enough space on Desktop": Hello, Copying files from external HD to my new PC and: "There is not enough space on Desktop. You need an additional 210 GB to copy these files" I have 2 drives on the machine: SSD (for apps) HD (1.8 Tb for files) .. when I copy files to desktop, they should...