Windows 10: My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.

Discus and support My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one. My profile is still in the Users folder, but it does not show up for log on or to change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by doylenieman, Aug 8, 2022.

1. My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.

My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one. My profile is still in the Users folder, but it does not show up for log on or to change the user. Only my wife's profile, which is a standard one. I have tried to create a new administrator profile, but when I go to the Accounts option in Settings, it does not have the Family and Other option or any option to create a new user. System protection was off, so I can't go to an earlier Restore point. The system still recognizes me and my PIN as an administrator when it asks for permissions, but that is all. It will not let me change

:)

doylenieman, Aug 8, 2022

2. Unable to change my account type to Administrator and cant create a new account.

Hi Aadil,

I suggest you to activate Default Administrator and try creating a new Account with Administrative privileges. Try the below steps and check if you can create a new Account.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin).

• Type the following command and hit
      Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

Now, sign out from the current account and you will be able to see a new Administrator account. Sign in to the new Administrator Account and you may create
    a new user account
    with administrative privileges. You can also change the current local user account to Administrator Account. Follow the below steps to change the current local user account to Administrator Account.

• Begin by right-clicking the
      Start Icon of Windows, then click Control Panel.

• Then under User Accounts and Family Safety, click
      Change Account Type.

• Then choose the account you wish to change, and double-click it.

• Then click on Change Account Type.

• Then choose the Account Type you want the user to be, you can choose between Standard and Administrator.

• Click on Change Account Type.

After creating the new user account or changing the current account to Administrator Account, use the following command at the command prompt (as mentioned above) to disable the default administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

Let us know if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Aug 8, 2022
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Aug 8, 2022
  4. My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.

lost administrator account when creating regular account Now no administrator privileges

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

Please be informed that you may not be able to recover the deleted account. But you can enable Built in Administrator account to create a new Administrator account.

I would suggest you create Windows 10 bootable media using the ISO image and follow the steps. This is a lengthy process kindly be patient.

1. Boot from Windows 10 bootable CD/DVD or USB.

2. When the install now screen shows up click on Repair your computer > Advanced Options >Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.

3. Once you can boot into the command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:yes"

and click Enter. This will activate hidden administrator account.

4. Now, close command prompt and remove installation media. Boot back to Windows 10 normal mode and sign in to Administrator account. You do not need a password for hidden admin account.

5. Create a new administrator account from the admin account.

6. Once you created a new account (Steps to create new account will be provided in the end), sign out of the hidden admin account and then boot into the newly created account.

7. When you have successfully signed into the new account, copy all the files from the following path c:/Users/Forgotten_Account_Name
    to a secure path.

8. Now, you can disable the hidden admin account and use the new account.

9. To disable hidden admin account press Windows key + X and click on
    Command Prompt (Admin).

10. In the Elevated Command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:no"

and click Enter. This will disable hidden administrator account.

You can now use the newly created admin account to login to the system.

To create a new test user account follow the steps below:

• Right click on the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type net user NewAccount password /add
      and click Enter.
    • Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click Enter.
    • Log off from the system and login to the new user account.
    • If your start menu and other applications work fine then you can transfer all your data to the new account.
    • Remember your new account name is "NewAccount" and its password is "password" as mentioned in the commands.
    Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 8, 2022
Thema:

My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.

1. My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one. - Similar Threads - administrator account gone

2. I created a new microsoft account, but my old one is listed as the administrator. Under...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I created a new microsoft account, but my old one is listed as the administrator. Under...: I created a new microsoft account, but my old one is listed as the administrator. Under Accounts > Email & Accounts it will not let me remove the old account. I am deactivating the old account and will only be using my new account....
  3. I created a new microsoft account, but my old one is listed as the administrator. Under...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I created a new microsoft account, but my old one is listed as the administrator. Under...: I created a new microsoft account, but my old one is listed as the administrator. Under Accounts > Email & Accounts it will not let me remove the old account. I am deactivating the old account and will only be using my new account....
  4. My Account Administration has gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Account Administration has gone: Hello!, My account had administration capability on my pc ,but when i logged into it today my privilege's have gone. I have seen a thread from 2015 ,and i still cannot find the solution.I have tried using the Control panel and doing it from there ,but it has not worked.I have...
  5. My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.: My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one. My profile is still in the Users folder, but it does not show up for log on or to change the user. Only my wife's profile, which is a standard one. I have tried to create a new administrator profile, but when I go...
  6. My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one.: My administrator account is gone and I can't create a new one. My profile is still in the Users folder, but it does not show up for log on or to change the user. Only my wife's profile, which is a standard one. I have tried to create a new administrator profile, but when I go...
  7. inexplicably can't create a new folder w/ administrator account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    inexplicably can't create a new folder w/ administrator account: so I've had this problem with my account for a couple of months now, and I can never seem to resolve it even with some information from discussions like these:...
  8. I can't create an administrator account I lost password for the orignal administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't create an administrator account I lost password for the orignal administrator account: how to create new administrator account every time I try to do anything UAC pops up. I can't update anymore. Please help. I have a Microsoft account & created a local account....
  9. How do I delete all accounts including administrator and create new ones

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I delete all accounts including administrator and create new ones: How do I delete all accounts including administrator and create new ones https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adminstrator/e45e3442-8943-4c04-93a2-c652cc1b0880
  10. Delete old administrator and create new one

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Delete old administrator and create new one: My 90 year old father cannot use his computer anymore and does not have any idea what his administrator password was. He does not want the computer, so he gave it to me. I need to change him out as the administrator to me. How can I do this? Do I need to take the computer to...