Windows 10: My aux port can't be used as an input, only an output

Discus and support My aux port can't be used as an input, only an output in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have Windows 10, Realtek Audio and a Dell Inspiron. A window used to pop up whenever I plugged something into my aux port asking if it was a mic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MaxCohen2, Nov 12, 2019.

1. MaxCohen2 Win User

My aux port can't be used as an input, only an output

I have Windows 10, Realtek Audio and a Dell Inspiron. A window used to pop up whenever I plugged something into my aux port asking if it was a mic input, line in input, headphones or speakers. It doesn't do that anymore. How can I fix this?

:)

MaxCohen2, Nov 12, 2019
  2. EdwardDow Win User

aux cable recognised as output instead of in.

I have an aux cable running into the single aux jack on my laptop. It is recognised as an output, however I want it to be used as an audio input device. I can not find a way in settings to change this. I will then use the laptops built in speakers as an
    output.

Thank you, Edward

EdwardDow, Nov 12, 2019
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    Aux input problems.

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the make and model of your system?
    2. Which build of Windows 10 is running on your system? To check that, click on
      Start, type winver and press
      Enter.
    3. Was there any change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    4. Are you able to hear the audio through your external speakers?
    5. Do you receive any prompt or error message when you connect your external speakers into the auxiliary input?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the article to

Fix sound problems in Windows 10
    , please refer the section ‘Set default device’ and check if it is useful to you.

Note: The steps are also applicable for connecting an audio device using Aux port.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Nov 12, 2019
  4. My aux port can't be used as an input, only an output

HDMI port , is it input/output/both?

How to tell if port on computer is input or output or both?

KenBugler_889, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

My aux port can't be used as an input, only an output

1. My aux port can't be used as an input, only an output - Similar Threads - aux port can't

2. Only DVI port outputs video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only DVI port outputs video: I've reinstalled windows recently and changed the monitor. PC used to work with Display Port or HDMI and card also has DVI. Now no port neither in graphics card or motherboard besides DVI has video output. When plugging something into Graphics Card HDMI, Nvidia Control panel...
  3. Output only device set as input.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Output only device set as input.: I recently got a new set of earbuds and I kind of screwed over the settings for it, so now the earbuds are stuck as an input device even though it has no microphone. It now refuses to output sound, and doesn't even register as a output device. Is there an easy way to switch...
  4. Output only device set as input.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Output only device set as input.: I recently got a new set of earbuds and I kind of screwed over the settings for it, so now the earbuds are stuck as an input device even though it has no microphone. It now refuses to output sound, and doesn't even register as a output device. Is there an easy way to switch...
  5. Output only device set as input.

6. Video Input with Aux Port

Video Input with Aux Port: Is there a way to use a video input using an aux cord? A camera I have has an aux cord output and I want to see if I can register it as a camera. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-input-with-port/288385ba-7349-4aa7-8219-ad6188525670
  7. how to fix a specific aux port having no mic input?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to fix a specific aux port having no mic input?: It works on anything but one specific system, and I tried using a voice meeter software and screwed up its input on that system. Output works no problem. submitted by /u/nathan22211 [link] [comments]...
  8. Aux input settings

Aux input settings: I just got a new mic that plugs into my AUX jack on my laptop. But when I plug it in I don't get a pop up asking if I plugged in a Mic, Headset, or Line in because I accidentally checked the box that says to not show this again. So the computer just automatically assumes I...
  9. Aux input problems.

Aux input problems.: Good day, my auxiliary input on my pc works but I cannot select which input device to use when I plug in my external speakers. It used to give me a window which allowed me to select external speakers/headphones and then the size as well for example small, medium or large. Any...
  10. Aux port problems

Aux port problems: Hi Community, Some time ago I had a problem in the aux port which I beleive might be a driver problem. Whenever I plug in the aux cable, earlier it used to show a prompt to select whether I had connected the line in cable, hesdphones, speaker, etc. Now thta prompt isn't...