Windows 10: My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos

Discus and support My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I press the backslash button on its own \ doesnt appear. When I press it holding the windows key, it does appear. And when I press it holding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tomek Kupis, Jul 10, 2024.

1. My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos

When I press the backslash button on its own \ doesnt appear. When I press it holding the windows key, it does appear. And when I press it holding shift appears. I cant think of any sensible reason as to why only one function of the key wouldnt work. Ive seen just 2 other people make a post with the same issue and the only workaround they got was digging around the language and layout options, but it didnt work for them and it didnt work for me. I have a weird keyboard which has two backslash keys and the other one works so ill be fine, but its still just so weird and I cant help but questio

:)

Tomek Kupis, Jul 10, 2024
  2. BryantN Win User

Backslash Key Won't Work Regularly, but Works With Other Key Combos

As of a few hours ago, my backslash \ won't work/type on its own when pressing that solely. If I use Win + \, it types the backslash like normal. Using Shift + \ will type the | normally. It's clearly not a keyboard issue considering this was working earlier today, and restarting the PC and unplugging the keyboard does not fix the issue. Any ideas?

BryantN, Jul 10, 2024
  3. BryantN Win User

Unfortunately, this takes a large step backwards from what I'm looking for. My keyboard is United States based, with the backslash next to my backspace button, tilde to the left of the 1 key, so on so forth. Attached is an image of my keyboard to better explain what keyboard I'm working with. The button does not type the character on its own anymore as of yesterday, but using Windows button + \ works and Shift + \ creates the |, which ultimately makes no sense.

My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos f192186f-f7f5-4d82-a503-efe7dc39f1f6?upload=true.jpg

BryantN, Jul 10, 2024
  4. My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos

Hi,

Your picture of your keyboard is a little too small for me to see what it is. What is the make and model of it please?

Can you just try this for me too please. Using your keyboard, press the Windows Key + Spacebar together and then let go and then try typing your \ backslash and see if this works?

Let me know.

Kindest regards,

Neil

Smug Puppy, Jul 10, 2024
Thema:

My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos

1. My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos - Similar Threads - backslash key doesnt

2. My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos: When I press the backslash button on its own \ doesnt appear. When I press it holding the windows key, it does appear. And when I press it holding shift appears. I cant think of any sensible reason as to why only one function of the key wouldnt work. Ive seen just 2 other...
  3. My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My backslash key doesnt work on its own, but does when using combos: When I press the backslash button on its own \ doesnt appear. When I press it holding the windows key, it does appear. And when I press it holding shift appears. I cant think of any sensible reason as to why only one function of the key wouldnt work. Ive seen just 2 other...
  4. Why my backslash key doesn't work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my backslash key doesn't work?: I'm using HHKB Professional Classic keyboard. I wasn't using backslash key too often, but when I did, it was working fine. When I use it with Shift key, pipe is written correctly, so that's why I think it is not a hardware issue. First time I've noticed that was few days ago,...
  5. Why my backslash key doesn't work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my backslash key doesn't work?: I'm using HHKB Professional Classic keyboard. I wasn't using backslash key too often, but when I did, it was working fine. When I use it with Shift key, pipe is written correctly, so that's why I think it is not a hardware issue. First time I've noticed that was few days ago,...
  6. Why does my backslash not work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my backslash not work?: All other keys work perfectly fine, but when I type with my backslash, it gives random characters from the 3rd row of a keyboard. KASDFHL\;'456GJ. It also applies CAPS LOCK. If wondering, I use a GMMK keyboard and have reset my settings several times for it....
  7. Why does my backslash not work?

Why does my backslash not work?: All other keys work perfectly fine, but when I type with my backslash, it gives random characters from the 3rd row of a keyboard. KASDFHL\;'456GJ. It also applies CAPS LOCK. If wondering, I use a GMMK keyboard and have reset my settings several times for it....
  8. Backslash Key Won't Work Regularly, but Works With Other Key Combos

Backslash Key Won't Work Regularly, but Works With Other Key Combos: As of a few hours ago, my backslash \ won't work/type on its own when pressing that solely. If I use Win + \, it types the backslash like normal. Using Shift + \ will type the normally. It's clearly not a keyboard issue considering this was working earlier today, and...
  9. Backslash Key Won't Work Regularly, but Works With Other Key Combos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backslash Key Won't Work Regularly, but Works With Other Key Combos: As of a few hours ago, my backslash \ won't work/type on its own when pressing that solely. If I use Win + \, it types the backslash like normal. Using Shift + \ will type the normally. It's clearly not a keyboard issue considering this was working earlier today, and...
  10. backslash doesnt work on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    backslash doesnt work on windows 10: For some reason the backslash doesn't work on my computer. The "|" does work which is on the same key. I've tried multiple keyboards but still no luck. I've also plugged in both keyboards to a different computer and the backslash key does work. For this reason I'm certain the...