Windows 10: My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time

Discus and support My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time on my HP laptop. If I tap the backspace it will delete letters one at a time but if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rebcal, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Rebcal Win User

My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time

My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time on my HP laptop. If I tap the backspace it will delete letters one at a time but if I press down on it to remove a whole line it does nothing. I have to delete letters one by one or highlight text and delete. I checked the keyboard attached to my 2nd monitor and I do not have the same issue. I then checked the 'pg dn' and 'pg up' buttons on my laptop keyboard and both the keys do nothing when held down.

:)

Rebcal, Feb 13, 2019
  2. P. Antal Win User

speed of backspace, space, key repeat

my Win 10 Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 460 has SLOW performance of keys such as "backspace," "space," and key repeat

P. Antal, Feb 13, 2019
  3. hoyomi Win User
    Hold Key Doesn't Repeat in Every Application in WIndows 10

I am using Dell XPS13 9360 running Windows 10 with everything up to date (Windows update, Dell update, Bios, Intel Chipset, etc).

Recently, possibly after last bios upgrade, holding keys no longer repeat properly in every applications. A few examples:

• Office 2016 - backspace repeats but arrow and delete keys don't
    • Chrome/IE11 - nothing repeats
    • Edge - all keys repeat as expected

I tried all the suggestions around ticking or unticking "User Filter Keys" option. It didn't solve the problem. On-screen keyboard has the same behavior

The only way to "fix" the issue is to uninstall all keyboard drivers in device manager and reboot following the prompt. Once the PC is back up, every key repeats normal, but only till the next reboot where the issue reoccurs.

Is there anything else I can try to solve the problem once for all?

hoyomi, Feb 13, 2019
  4. My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time

Repeating Keys don't repeat

windows 10, Lenovo laptop yoga.

For one logon the repeating keys ( Backspace and Space) do not repeat when held down. The On-screen touchscreen keys do repeat correctly. Repeating keys work correctly with any other logon.

No extra hardware on machine.

JerryBee2016, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time

1. My backspace key won't repeat when pushed down for a long time - Similar Threads - backspace key won't

2. My backspace key, as an example, doesn't work when I hold it down but only in microsoft...

in Windows 10 Customization
    My backspace key, as an example, doesn't work when I hold it down but only in microsoft...: My backspace key, as an example, doesn't work when I hold it down but only in microsoft programmes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-backspace-key-as-an-example-doesnt-work-when-i/1960a9c2-7c2f-4b38-bda8-0de470f47800
  3. Keys will not repeat on my keyboard when I hold them down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys will not repeat on my keyboard when I hold them down: My wireless usb keyboard will not repeat keys when i press them down, if I wanted to delete something, instead of holding down backspace, I have to press it continuously over and over again until it deletes it. My keyboard on my laptop is fine, it's the wireless keyboard that...
  4. Keys will not repeat on my keyboard when I hold them down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keys will not repeat on my keyboard when I hold them down: My wireless usb keyboard will not repeat keys when i press them down, if I wanted to delete something, instead of holding down backspace, I have to press it continuously over and over again until it deletes it. My keyboard on my laptop is fine, it's the wireless keyboard that...
  5. When held down, the Ctrl key rapidly repeats

When held down, the Ctrl key rapidly repeats: With the last two versions of Windows 10 pro, my ctrl key cannot be held down without the result rapidly repeating. This is evidenced by a circle on the screen which appears to be blinking really fast. Normally the ctrl key would indicate where the mouse is. It still does,...
  6. My backspace key will not delete continually as I hold it down

My backspace key will not delete continually as I hold it down: My backspace key will not delete continually as I hold it down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-backspace-key-will-not-delete-continually-as-i/62118512-75b0-4663-9549-06e2810cd952
  7. Backspace Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backspace Key: Anytime I press the backspace it the cursor moves back once and goes back to the start. This only happens that i know of on discord and microsoft word online or Microsoft Office Home....
  8. How do I get keyboard to repeat letters when I hold down a key. Backspace.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I get keyboard to repeat letters when I hold down a key. Backspace.: Would like to get repeat when I hold down backspace key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-keyboard-to-repeat-letters-when-i/fcae12e1-9d3a-45e4-9839-4bb79b4a8244
  9. Holding down keys and holding down backspace are way too slow.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Holding down keys and holding down backspace are way too slow.: Every time I change the speed back to fast, it reverts back to slow and I don't know why. It is quite frustrating. Can I get help with this?...
  10. enter, backspace, spacebar, up and down keys not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    enter, backspace, spacebar, up and down keys not working: Certain keys does not work in my HP Pavillion Laptop with Windows 10 Education 64 bit. After some googling a suggested workaround is to turn on the Airplane mode\disable the wifi adapter via device manger,after which the keys seem to work fine. However once airplane...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. backspace key wont repeat

2. how to make backspace key repeat

3. backspace button wont repeat when held down

4. keys wont repeat when held down,
  5. when i hold down backspace does not delete,
  6. backspace key not working when pressed,
  7. windows backspace must be pressed every time,
  8. thinkpad holding down backspace,
  9. thinkpad key long press repeat,
  10. new keyboard backspace does not repeat if held down,
  11. hp keyboard backspace not repeating when held down,