Windows 10: My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...

Discus and support My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; We have been having failed backups due to a VSS error on our VMs Hyper-V. Our backup provider - BackupAssist - determined that their software uses a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kelley_IC, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Kelley_IC Win User

My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...

We have been having failed backups due to a VSS error on our VMs Hyper-V. Our backup provider - BackupAssist - determined that their software uses a specific backup provider, and that the Hyper-V IC Software Shadow Copy Provider is interfering with our backup. Their solution is to delete the registry key for the Hyper-V IC Software Shadow Copy Provider. What sort of repercussions could follow the deletion of this provider besides the typical registry modifications issues?

:)

Kelley_IC, Sep 29, 2022

2. Backups fail: Volume Shadow Copy errors 22 & 12292

I have been having this issue on my Surface, trying to backup to my Essentials Server 2012 R2, and could not find an acceptable resolution until today. I came across this support case about Acronis Backup and Recovery:

[RESOLVED] VSS error 12292 with B&R 11.5 for Windows Server | Acronis Forum

It suggested there should only be one entry under the VSS providers (Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0) in the registry. I checked the registry on my Surface and found there were two providers. One of which had the CLSID indicated in the error
    in my event log. It was related to Hyper-V, in my case.

Since I had not had any luck with previous searches to my issue, I decided to backup the VSS registry entry (i.e. right-click the 'Providers' key, and then choose Export), and then delete the Hyper-V provider that was also listed. The support article suggests
    you reboot the machine after deleting the extra VSS provider keys, however, I did not. I just started the backup process and it worked.

Hope that helps.

Michael Suthern, Sep 29, 2022
  3. How do I delete registry files?

type in regedit in the search box and press enter. Then from here on, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNLESS U KNOW WHAT UR DOING!! Go to Hkey_Local_Machine > Software > Then a list of program registry keys will pop up, delete anything that is uninstalled. Make sure u backup the keys unless something goes wrong. To backup, you do: Select a group of keys on the left pane > Right click > Export > name it "whatever.reg" > save it. To import the backup, click the reg file and click "merge"

spearman914, Sep 29, 2022
  4. My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...

Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 29, 2022
Thema:

My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...

1. My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow... - Similar Threads - backup provider says

2. My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...: We have been having failed backups due to a VSS error on our VMs Hyper-V. Our backup provider - BackupAssist - determined that their software uses a specific backup provider, and that the Hyper-V IC Software Shadow Copy Provider is interfering with our backup. Their solution...
  3. My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My backup provider says we need to delete the registry key for Hyper-V IC Software Shadow...: We have been having failed backups due to a VSS error on our VMs Hyper-V. Our backup provider - BackupAssist - determined that their software uses a specific backup provider, and that the Hyper-V IC Software Shadow Copy Provider is interfering with our backup. Their solution...
  4. Hyper-V for securing iPhone Backups

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hyper-V for securing iPhone Backups: I got Windows 10 Pro, and I backup my iPhone contains to my computer using iTunes. I don't use iCloud because I do not want to buy another subscription for another service. I know about the iTunes encryption backup feature. My worry is due to human error I accidently infect...
  5. Delete Hyper-V Snapshots

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete Hyper-V Snapshots: Hi, I am running out of space on one of my drives which contains many checkpoints/snapshots, some of which dated as far back as 2018. I have looked online for the best way to remove these to recoup some space, however, other than "do not delete by hand" I cannot seem to...
  6. Hyper-V plus incremental backups?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V plus incremental backups?: I'm a relative newcomer to the Windows 10 world, so forgive me if this is all misguided... I get the sense that backing up a machine onto a Hyper-V / virtual drive is an appealing strategy, in that you can boot from the drive and verify that you have a complete working...
  7. Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider: Hi. I am having a technical issue with my Windows 10 OS I don’t want to have to do a Factory restore it’s not big issue I am having it’s the issue with Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider. I went in to the Registry and fixed one of the values I had to fix this one...
  8. Installing a Macrium image backup on a new Hyper-V VM.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Installing a Macrium image backup on a new Hyper-V VM.: I am sure this is obvious to many users, but I puzzled about it a lot today but got there in the end. I had created a Macrium image backup from audit mode as per the video links on Saturday as described by Kari. The image I created is a dual boot image - W10 (oobe), and...
  9. Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files: Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager? I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the...
  10. Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution: I am a new user of Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host, and have just installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit. I have two queries from my initial use, and am hoping that experienced users can give me some guidance. (1) When Linux is first launched I am given a warning...