Windows 10: My backup settings are resets after every Windows major update

Discus and support My backup settings are resets after every Windows major update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use "Backup using File History" feature to backing up folders to another drive, and after every Windows major update their settings will resets. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [ziggi], Nov 25, 2019.

1. [ziggi] Win User

My backup settings are resets after every Windows major update

I use "Backup using File History" feature to backing up folders to another drive, and after every Windows major update their settings will resets. I mean what my folders are no longer backing up after update anymore.

Is it normal behavior? If yes, so, it is possible to make some script to check my folders existence in "Backup using File History" list?

:)

[ziggi], Nov 25, 2019
  2. Erik Win User

Is it possible to prevent Windows to reset many system settings to default after a major update (Fall Creators Update)?

I recently installed the Windows 10 Creators Update on many of my PCs, and as with previous "major" update releases, I noticed that many of the system settings, including things like:

• Energy options in device manager ("allow device to wake the computer from sleep"
      re-enabled for mice and keyboards which is annoying because I
      intentionally turned these off)
    • basic mode of displaying the taskmanager and many more get reset to
      their defaults.

Since major updates are coming approximately twice a year, I was wondering: why does Windows do that, and is there a way to turn this behavior off? It is especially annoying if you install a computer for a novice user, and after an update you have to redo all these customization steps again.

On the other hand, many things like explorer settings stay the same, for example things like "show hidden files" or "show file extensions".

So the main questions are:

• which settings are reset after an update, and what's the criteria behind that selection, where others aren't?
    • is there a list of the things that are reset during a
      major update for reference?

3. P4-630 Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Nov 25, 2019
  4. BunnyJ Win User

Update to version 1511 build 10586 changed lots of settings...

With 10 when a major update comes down it's like restarting the OS from scratch and the settings will go back to as they would be from a fresh instillation. All custom settings will be reset and this is not going to change in the future. All I can suggest is keep a list of what needs to be redone and automate as much as possible.

BunnyJ, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

1. My backup settings are resets after every Windows major update - Similar Threads - backup settings are

2. Settings reset after every restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings reset after every restart: For some time now my setting have been reset every time i power on my compuer. The main thing is my mouse settings. Every time i turn on the computer "Enhance pointer presicion" gets checked. The Pointer speed also get higher every time. Sometimes the vertical scrolling...
  3. Settings reset after every restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings reset after every restart: For some time now my setting have been reset every time i power on my compuer. The main thing is my mouse settings. Every time i turn on the computer "Enhance pointer presicion" gets checked. The Pointer speed also get higher every time. Sometimes the vertical scrolling...
  4. Windows Resets settings after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Resets settings after updates: I am running windows 11. I have used winero to tweak my settings for fonts, etc. After windows runs an update - all fonts & setting revert back to default. I never had this issue with windows 10.Is there a way to STOP this from happening?...
  5. Windows Resets settings after updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Resets settings after updates: I am running windows 11. I have used winero to tweak my settings for fonts, etc. After windows runs an update - all fonts & setting revert back to default. I never had this issue with windows 10.Is there a way to STOP this from happening?...
  6. Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Major Updates Resetting My Settings: Why is it exactly that every time Windows 10 has a "major update", all of my carefully set settings are wiped out and reset??? Let me first point out that this is NOT the same as some of the other posts on this site, where the system has created a copy of the profile...
  7. Windows 10 update reset my desktop/apps and keeps resetting after every update

Windows 10 update reset my desktop/apps and keeps resetting after every update: A few days ago I did a Windows 10 update on my DELL laptop. When trying to login after the update I could not although I was typing the right password showing the message “user profile can not be loaded”. After solving this problem, I noticed that this update had removed...
  8. Feedback: Screen saver settings getting reset on every major update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Feedback: Screen saver settings getting reset on every major update: This isn't a question. I just finished looking all over this site for a place to simply leave feedback on Windows 10. Failed to find any such place. Does Microsoft not want user feedback? Getting some anyway. Every time Microsoft sends out a major update to Windows 10...
  9. Windows update reset settings and resets every time I restart

Windows update reset settings and resets every time I restart: Ever since I downloaded the Windows update back in late February my settings were reset to default and every time I shut down and restart my computer the settings revert back to default again so I have to redo all my default programs like chrome rather than edge and adobe...
  10. Desktop restarts every couple of seconds after major Windows update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Desktop restarts every couple of seconds after major Windows update: This is on an HP EliteBook 8460p, if this is of any relevance. It hadn't had any Windows 10 Updates for ages (a year, maybe?), so I was going through those outstanding without paying particular attention. Following a major update (Creators Update, perhaps?), when bringing...