Windows 10: My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10

Discus and support My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; On the 5th May 2019, my bank account with a well-known international bank was hacked. The bank still doesn't know how the hackers by-passed their... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Taffy087, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Taffy087 Win User

My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10

On the 5th May 2019, my bank account with a well-known international bank was hacked. The bank still doesn't know how the hackers by-passed their two-stage password security but they did confirm that I did nothing wrong.

I'm still getting two or three fraud emails every week so it's clear that they know my email address. All of the emails are from fake Japanese email address - some are quite clever and would probably fool someone who's never been hacked before. Others are very poor e.g. spelling mistakes and would fool no-one.

My bank advised me that as I'm clearly able to spot all the fraud emails there's no need for me to change my email address but I disagree. Although I'd have to notify about 100 companies as well as family and friends, I believe it's worth the effort.

What do you think please?

:)

Taffy087, Jan 31, 2020

2. Changing a hacked email address associated with Windows 10 account

Hello - I had a email address ( *** Email address is removed for privacy *** - YAHOO ) that has been hacked. I now have a Gmail account and all of my personal accounts have been changed. The last remaining one is my Windows 10 account. I have used the form provided by Microsoft to confirm
    my account (which of course uses the hacked email account to confirm) and they have responded that they cannot confirm my ownership...yet I have no problem logging into Windows 10 - although my Office Outlook 2010 is pretty much dead in the water. I need to
    find out if there is a way to associate my Gmail account to my Microsoft account and dump the hacked sbcglobal.net one. Any good suggestions ? Hopefully I can get an answer on my Outlook.com account. Thank you in advance - Steve in Kentucky

StevenOverton, Jan 31, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Unauthorized Emails from my account?

It is more than likely that your email account was hacked, either by a virus sniffing your password, or just simply hacked.

Either way, change your password on your email account. Unfortunately the damage by already be done. They already have your contact list and your email address associated with that contact list. There is nothing stopping them from sending out emails using their own SMTP servers to everyone on your contact list and claiming the emails are from your email address. They don't actually have to have access to your yahoo account or even any yahoo server to send emails to people that come from your address.

newtekie1, Jan 31, 2020
  4. My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10

email account hacked. please help

Also may I suggest you change email accounts to one of the following.....

Gmail
    Outlook

The reason is they both use "Step two verification". This style of verification means even if a hacker gets your password they cannot log in to your account. You see every time someone try's to log in that hasn't been verified you will get a text or a phone call giving you a final code to log in. Its very easy and simple to setup also. The great thing is once you setup your Email application with a specific "application password" from that account you never have to log in again AND your account is protected from being logged in from foreign entities.

I like the new outlook personally however Gmail is also damn good. Gmail also has an IP tracker that allows you to see WHERE the account has been logged in from. Anyway let us know if you wanna change over and have any questions. We will be happy to help and welcome to TPU!

TheMailMan78, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10

1. My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10 - Similar Threads - bank account was

2. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** hacked my account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** hacked my account.: Hello Microsoft, I need some help.My account have been hacked by *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, rambler.ru have alredy hacked a lot of accounts of the community, they changed the email address and I can't even enter Minecraft with that account, In that account...
  3. *** Email address is removed for privacy *** hacked my account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    *** Email address is removed for privacy *** hacked my account.: Hello Microsoft, I need some help.My account have been hacked by *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, rambler.ru have alredy hacked a lot of accounts of the community, they changed the email address and I can't even enter Minecraft with that account, In that account...
  4. Account hacked and email changed to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Account hacked and email changed to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***: This happened maybe a few months ago and I decided to finally make a post about it. It's been annoying me for a while now and one day my email was just changed and so was my password, they changed the backup email and phone number too. Is there any way I can get my account...
  5. My previous Microsoft account is hacked and it is changed to *** Email address is removed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My previous Microsoft account is hacked and it is changed to *** Email address is removed...: Hello,I just came back after a check-up and failed when I tried logging into my Microsoft account. I attempted to use different methods, but that didn't work either. It turns out that my account got changed from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to *** Email...
  6. My previous Microsoft account is hacked and it is changed to *** Email address is removed...

My previous Microsoft account is hacked and it is changed to *** Email address is removed...: Hello,I just came back after a check-up and failed when I tried logging into my Microsoft account. I attempted to use different methods, but that didn't work either. It turns out that my account got changed from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to *** Email...
  7. My account was hacked and now I can't login into it because the account email is changed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My account was hacked and now I can't login into it because the account email is changed...: I was trying to get into my account when suddenly my password doesn't work, so I tried to reset it, but it said that the account doesn't recognize or exist. There was a data breach for me a while back.While I was trying to put my password in again, there's an email that I...
  8. My account was hacked and now I can't login into it because the account email is changed...

My account was hacked and now I can't login into it because the account email is changed...: I was trying to get into my account when suddenly my password doesn't work, so I tried to reset it, but it said that the account doesn't recognize or exist. There was a data breach for me a while back.While I was trying to put my password in again, there's an email that I...
  9. My account was hacked and now I can't login into it because the account email is changed...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My bank account was hacked last year - should I now change my email address. Windows 10: On the 5th May 2019, my bank account with a well-known international bank was hacked. The bank still doesn't know how the hackers by-passed their two-stage password security but they did confirm that I did nothing wrong. I'm still getting two or three fraud emails every...