Windows 10: my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

Discus and support my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Dylan McDaniel, Jun 10, 2023.

1. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my legacy bios supports UEFI.

:)

Dylan McDaniel, Jun 10, 2023

2. Support Had Me Change From UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS Re: DISASTER

This was Acronis True Image 2018 support not MS or Lenovo (P51). Those familiar with True Image know that you can create bootable media on a flash drive to run the software. No problem with True Image 2017 but True Image 2018 did not work. Although the flash drive loaded the program the GUI was garbled and I was unable to navigate. Support had me switch from UEFI back to Legacy and that was a bad idea. Sorry for the caps but this was what I wrote back to Acronis support. FYI the rest of the message was not in caps:

SUPPORT: I have discussed this issue with the Experts team and they have suggested testing whether changing from UEFI to Legacy mode in BIOS fixes the issue or not. This step is suggested for testing purpose only.
    THAT WAS A TERRIBLE SUGGESTION. I WENT INTO THE BIOS AND DID AS YOU INSTRUCTED AND CHANGED FROM UEFI TO LEGACY. I CLICKED EXIT AND SAVE AND WITH THE FLASH DRIVE PLUGGED IN THE 2018 BOOTABLE MEDIA I WENT TO BOOT MENU OPTIONS AND CHOOSE BOOT FROM FLASH DRIVE AND I WAS DROPPED BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU OPTION. SEE ENCLOSED PICTURE. I THEN SELECTED BOOT FROM THE SSD DRIVE AND I WAS AGAIN STUCK IN A LOOP THAT DROPPED ME BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU OPTION. I THEN TRIED BOOTING FROM THE SECOND INTERNAL HDD OPTION AND AGAIN WAS DROPPED BACK INTO THE BOOT MENU. I COULD NOT GET BACK INTO THE BIOS TO CHANGE BACK TO UEFI FROM LEGACY. I HAD TO DO A HARD SHUTDOWN AND POWER BACK ON AND ONLY THEN WAS I ABLE TO GET INTO THE BIOS AND CHANGE BACK FROM LEGACY TO UEFI.

This is a pic of the loop I was caught up in. Why do you all think I was not able to boot either from the flash drive or the SSD or the HDD once I changed from UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS? TIA.

my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. ge-uefi-legacy-mode-bios-re-disaster-picture-boot-menu-loop-after-you-told-me-change-bios-legacy.jpg

phaedruspress, Jun 10, 2023
  3. Alexodd Win User
    Windows fails to detect UEFI BIOS, assumes Legacy instead

Hi,

Due to some string of events, my computer has quick boot enabled in BIOS. I need to load UEFI to change some things, and am unable to because this setting is enabled. I assumed there was a way to reboot into UEFI from inside Windows 10, so I looked up how
    and found the answer: There is an option in the "Advanced startup" menus to do this. Unfortunately, this option seems to be hidden if Windows 10 erroneously detects that you are using legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. This appears to be the case in my current install
    (in MSINFO the BIOS Mode is set to Legacy).

My questions are:

• How do I change BIOS Mode to UEFI in my current install?
    • How do I make sure this remains the case in future OS resets/reformats?
    • Similarly, when building other computers in the future, how do I make sure Windows 10 does not make this same error?

My questions are not:

• How do I access my BIOS despite Windows 10 misidentifying my BIOS Mode?

Thank you for your time,

Alex

Alexodd, Jun 10, 2023
  4. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, Error message: A system image created using UEFI cannot be restored on a computer using legacy BIOS.

Hi,

UEFI BIOS supports two boot modes: Legacy BIOS boot mode and UEFI boot mode. Some devices and operating systems do not yet support UEFI-based BIOS and can boot only from Legacy BIOS boot mode. Choose Legacy BIOS boot mode to allow HBAs and Express
    Module devices to use option ROMs. Choose UEFI boot mode to use UEFI drivers.

Only devices that support the selected boot mode are listed on the BIOS Boot screen. If you select UEFI Boot Mode, only boot candidates that support UEFI BIOS boot mode are listed on the BIOS Setup Utility screens in the Boot Options Priority list.
    If you select Legacy BIOS boot mode, only boot candidates that support Legacy BIOS boot mode are listed in the Boot Options Priority list.

Please refer to the below article to Upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO File.

Redirecting

Hope you can upgrade to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance on upgrading to Windows 10, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jun 10, 2023
Thema:

my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

1. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. - Similar Threads - bios mode legacy

2. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. How to i know if my laptop...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. How to i know if my laptop...: my laptop is hp pavilion sleek book 15 b002ee with intel core i5 3rd gen processor and 4 gigabytes of RAM and 500 gigabytes of Hard disk drive. Now tell me how do i know if it supports uefi or not?...
  3. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. How to i know if my laptop...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. How to i know if my laptop...: my laptop is hp pavilion sleek book 15 b002ee with intel core i5 3rd gen processor and 4 gigabytes of RAM and 500 gigabytes of Hard disk drive. Now tell me how do i know if it supports uefi or not?...
  4. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI. How to i know if my laptop...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot acces the BIOS in UEFI mode, only LEGACY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot acces the BIOS in UEFI mode, only LEGACY: Hi,I've tried a lot of things like in this video How to Enter the BIOS / UEFI on Windows 11, even upgraded the BIOS, but nothing works. Currently, I'm using win11PRO as operating system.The laptop model is Asus Vivobook 15 X512DK.Do you have other ideas? I want to access the...
  6. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Customization
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.: im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my...
  7. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.: im wanting to enable virtualization but thats impossible with legacy bios as the only thing in boot is troubleshoot>>>advanced options>>>startup options. and thats it, so if you know how to enable virtualization wthout need uefi please help, or if you know how to check if my...
  8. my bios mode is legacy but im not sure if it supports UEFI.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...