Windows 10: My Boot drive went to RAW and Windows does not load or repair

Discus and support My Boot drive went to RAW and Windows does not load or repair in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; PC was working fine for months with no issues and then my PC crashed and booting up it said "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot". I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JoseG1313, Nov 26, 2020.

1. JoseG1313 Win User

My Boot drive went to RAW and Windows does not load or repair

PC was working fine for months with no issues and then my PC crashed and booting up it said "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot".

I selected F2 on next boot and see all the drives listed and in the same order.

Read up on it and many sites say to run chkdsk x: /f but I cannot access the drive.

Tried booting up from Windows installation and then getting to advance and then to DOS as Admin but it then says:

CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

I removed the drive and tried from my external caddy but my other machine locks up on Disk Management but it will show it up as RAW eventually after a long while. I cannot initialize, format or any other option s on right click. Drive is not online or Device is not ready.

I also have EaseUS and it is not listed and that also hangs for sometime.

Is there anything else I can try to recover the info on that drive?

Tried many other free tools but they do not see the drive listed. Only Disk Management and shows it as Basic and RAW.

Is all hope gone....Must be another 2020 thing....

:)

JoseG1313, Nov 26, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW drive
    3. select disk # ======> is the number in step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

topgundcp, Nov 26, 2020
  3. uebduejfb Win User
    Boot Error - C: Drive is raw?

My laptop (Windows 10) would not boot either due to me being to rough with it or me turning it off at the wrong moment. I think it is a hard drive issue.

When it turns on, it first says "preparing automatic repair," then continues to a black screen. After a lot of loading it comes to the Windows boot option menu. I have tried the startup setting button, the system restore button and automatic repair.

I also used the command prompt button and tried the commands I am about to mention and these are the results.

"c:" and "cd c:"

The command could not be performed because of an I/O error.

"chkdsk /r c

The type of the filesystem is RAW.

CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

When I tried to refresh the PC I was told that it couldn't be performed because "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

I found a possible solution to this issue that would let me refresh the PC and tried to change the active partition in order to fix this using diskpart commands. But it wouldn't let me change active partitions and I can't remember why, but it takes a
    long time for the PC to load again and for cmd to open (~2 hours) so I will come back later to present the error later.

Any help or explanation would be appreciated. I'd guess the hard drive is broken but would like to recover files if possible.

uebduejfb, Nov 26, 2020
  4. VER
    Ver Win User

Command Prompt to Repair Disk

No drive was recognized. I assumed to leave it on D: and this is what it says:

D:\>bcdedit /enum
    The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
    The requested system device cannot be found.

D:\>bcdedit |find"osdevice"
    'find"osdevice"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

- - - Updated - - -

So I went ahead and proceeded with zbook's steps. I've pasted the steps I'm now stuck at. I don't have any volumes that display RAW as per step #21, so I don't have a drive letter to enter for step #24.

21) type: list volume
    (look in the column Fs for any volume that displays RAW instead of NTFS)
    22) type: list partition
    23) type: exit
    24) type: chkdsk /f /r G: (change G to the drive letter of the volume displaying RAW)
    It may display "The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt."
    This may then cont the RAW volume to NTFS.

Thema:

1. My Boot drive went to RAW and Windows does not load or repair - Similar Threads - Boot drive went

2. Repair damaged RAW Drive without formatting or losing Data

in Windows 10 News
    Repair damaged RAW Drive without formatting or losing Data: [IMG]This post features solutions for repairing damaged RAW drive without formatting or losing data. A RAW drive is a storage device that has a RAW file system and hasn’t been formatted or assigned to a file system like FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS/NTFS. Drives can sometimes get...
  3. Windows Repaired drive C on boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Repaired drive C on boot: Hello, I noticed on boot that Windows did some sort of repair to drive C: I didn't manage to see it completely because I came exactly when it finished. It said something about Repairing or Fixing drive C: Now it's a new Samsung 970 Evo NVME. And this drive is already a...
  4. C Drive is Raw and unmoutable boot device bsod

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C Drive is Raw and unmoutable boot device bsod: Idk how to convert it to ntfs while keeping files through windows re https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-is-raw-and-unmoutable-boot-device-bsod/6a16cc64-6df3-49eb-8526-43e67c688fb2
  5. USB drive RAW

USB drive RAW: It said i need to format the drive to use it,but i dont want to,since there are important files in it,i cant check for disk errors since there was no recognized file system,please help if you can,thanks....
  6. Windows 10 Drive Repair on Boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Drive Repair on Boot: One of my Non boot drives appeared to be failing and after a longer than expected boot, Windows 10 decided to "repair drive" during boot up. After this happened drive was no longer accessible Can anyone advise what Windows was running as a repair method and how I might...
  7. Windows 10 Won't Boot, Load or Repair

Windows 10 Won't Boot, Load or Repair: I have an HP laptop that until a few weeks ago, worked perfectly. The OS is Windows 10 (64 bit). If I try rebooting, I get a screen with several options, none of which helped with getting Windows 10 to boot. I tried the 3x hard shutdowns to get to the repair menu...none of...
  8. raw hard drive

raw hard drive: hallo I have a hard drive that was gpt ntfs used as secondary drive. (storage) I set a wrong id for the volume and then i understand my mistake and i set again the good id (ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7) But now the ntfs is shown as raw. The check disk show:...
  9. Recovering a "RAW" drive

Recovering a "RAW" drive: Ordinary 6TB HDD plugged into an external carrier, USB3 to the laptop. Worked fine. Had a situation where the power went off and on to the carrier several times and suddenly the HDD says it's NOT formatted, it's a 'RAW' drive. I don't want to recover the 250,000 or so files...
  10. Repair Boot Drive

Repair Boot Drive: My computer was setup using 2 HDD and EasyBCD boot menu. That file seems to have become corrupt or damaged as I am getting a message; Reboot and Select Boot Drive or insert boot media in selected drive and press a key. I have followed Windows Repair Boot Drive instructions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. easybcd boot crash raw