Windows 10: My C Drive Keeps losing Space

Discus and support My C Drive Keeps losing Space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My C Drive Keeps losing Space and yesterday i had 14gb then it went to 799mb and it keeps going down every 5 mins... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by XMEzy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. XMEzy Win User

My C Drive Keeps losing Space

XMEzy, Nov 24, 2015
  2. GordonB-P Win User

My C: Drive keeps permantly losing space.

Try the Disk Clean-up function.

In File Explorer right-click on your HDD, choose Properties and then click on Disk Cleanup. Click on "Cleanup System Files"

GordonB-P, Nov 24, 2015
  3. My C: Drive keeps permantly losing space.

I am running now on Win 10 Pro and I have the problem, that my main harddrive keeps permantly losing space. I am using a 128 gb SSD and now i am down to some MBs. Normaly I have around 30-40 GB free space. I let a malware software run because my first idea
    was any kind of malware or virus but it was clean and the harddrive keeps still losing space.

Any Ideas how i could solve this problem?

HarsányiKristóf, Nov 24, 2015
  4. robgr Win User

Try WinDirStat to determine where/what is taking up the space

robgr, Nov 24, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Hi XMEzy:
    Welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

Do you have CCleaner installed? Looks like there may be an automatic Drive Wipe happening.

Edwin, Nov 24, 2015
  6. XMEzy Win User
    I have AVG 2016 and whats an automatic disc wipe

XMEzy, Nov 24, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Nov 24, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

With CCleaner, it essentially fills the free space on your hard drive with 0 byte 'sleeper files' to overwrite deleted data. That's why the drive appears to run out of space rapidly.
    When the process is done you will retrieve your space back plus, perhaps a little extra space.

Edwin, Nov 24, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    I wasn't encouraging you to run a Drive Wipe!
    I thought that a Drive Wipe was happening on your machine due to your screenshot!

Edwin, Nov 25, 2015
  10. XMEzy Win User
    well then what do i do because it only started on tuesday

XMEzy, Nov 25, 2015
  11. robgr Win User
    It would be helpful to know what file(s) are taking up the space, are you able to run WinDirStat (free DL) or similar?

robgr, Nov 25, 2015
  12. XMEzy Win User
    yeh i can run it. Dont know how to use it

XMEzy, Nov 25, 2015
  13. robgr Win User

Run the app, select the drive(s) you wish to examine (all or individual) and then click OK
    In the lower pane you will then see a representation of how the space is allocated, bigger the area of colour, bigger the space taken up
    Click the larger areas and you will see the folders/files (drill down from the top pane)
    This will allow you to determine what files/folders are occupying the space and to take any remedial action

robgr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. My C Drive Keeps losing Space - Similar Threads - Drive Keeps losing

2. my C drive is losing space by the second

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my C drive is losing space by the second: my C drive is losing space for no reason. i haven't downloaded anything and i'm sitting here watching it slowly fill up by the second. there was 40GB of space left 10 minutes ago and now there's 38.9GB of space left. i'm literally just sitting here watching it, i've not...
  3. my C drive is losing space by the second

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my C drive is losing space by the second: my C drive is losing space for no reason. i haven't downloaded anything and i'm sitting here watching it slowly fill up by the second. there was 40GB of space left 10 minutes ago and now there's 38.9GB of space left. i'm literally just sitting here watching it, i've not...
  4. my C drive is losing space by the second

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Keep on randomly losing space on my C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keep on randomly losing space on my C drive: So recently I cleared up around 30 GB of space on my c drive and which is a lot for me as I had around 9GB before. But I've been noticing that I just randomly lose space without even downloading anything. I would notice it while browsing through my computer and I would see I...
  6. Keep on randomly losing space on my C drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep on randomly losing space on my C drive: So recently I cleared up around 30 GB of space on my c drive and which is a lot for me as I had around 9GB before. But I've been noticing that I just randomly lose space without even downloading anything. I would notice it while browsing through my computer and I would see I...
  7. Keep on randomly losing space on my C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Losing Disk Space on Drive C:/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Losing Disk Space on Drive C:/: Hello, I am losing hard drive space on my drive C:/. Yesterday, the drive was at 90.9 GB used. When I woke it up from sleep it was at 91.4 GB used and now it is at 91.7 GB used. This is only on the small SSD and the larger 4TB HDD does not have this problem. The PC is a new...
  9. C drive constantly losing space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C drive constantly losing space: I need a little help with my hard drive. It’s a Windows 10 and it’s consistently losing space by the day. I scanned it for malware multiple times and no threats are detected. I’ve already tried cleaning up the desk and deleting newer files that I didn’t need. What else can I...
  10. C: drive progressively loses space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    C: drive progressively loses space: Hello, My C: drive is progressively losing space the longer my computer is on. I am currently experiencing the worst example of it so far, which has prompted me to post this support request. Three hours ago, I turned my computer on. C: had 32GB of free space. Thirty...