Windows 10: My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.

Discus and support My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! So today I installed an extra drive for storage, and as soon as I booted the pc up, windows started scanning for errors. After it scanned, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheOrangeIcon, Aug 7, 2020.

1. My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.

Hello!

So today I installed an extra drive for storage, and as soon as I booted the pc up, windows started scanning for errors. After it scanned, it asked me to reboot again for Security and maintenance. Even after I rebooted, it still asked me to reboot again. So I tried using sfc /scannow and it fixed corrupted files. Then I did fsutil dirty query C: It told me that the drive was dirty. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried doing chkdsk /f /r C: and chkntfs /x C: but none of them worked.

:)

TheOrangeIcon, Aug 7, 2020
  2. jonarooni Win User

When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty

When I run fsutil dirty query c: it tells me that the drive is Dirty.

The computer is only a few months old.

jonarooni, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    After Installing windows 10, only my C Drive and D: Drive is showin my other drive for flash drive is not showing? Everything has become a nightmare

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Do you face this issue specific with this Flash Drive or all the flash drive?

• Did you try connecting the flash drive to another system?
    I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue
    is with your mouse. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB driver for the computer.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows and x key on the start screen and select
    Device Manager.

b) Locate the Universal Serial Bus controller’s driver.

c) Right Click on the USB driver icon and select Uninstall.

d) Restart the computer. After restarting the computer, USB driver will automatically be installed.

Connect the Flash drive through the USB and check if it responds.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks and Regards.

Arun B J, Aug 7, 2020
  4. My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.

Installing to a second Drive. D: or external (Non Boot up Drives)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are looking for an option to move the game location from the C drive to the Drive D, which is an external drive.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to perform these steps and check if that resolves your issue on both laptop and Desktop.

1. As usual install the game on the PC’s in
      C Drive.
    2. Insert the external
      D drive
      to the PC.
    3. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    4. Select Apps and click on
      Apps & features
      from the left pane.
    5. Search for the installed game from the list on the right pane.
    6. Single click on the game and select
      Move.
    7. Select the D drive under
      Choose a drive
      where you want to move the game.
    8. Restart the PC with the external drive connected and then launch the game.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive.

1. My C: is dirty after installing a D: drive. - Similar Threads - dirty installing drive

2. My C drive is dirty.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C drive is dirty.: Hello, today when I booted my pc there was a screen saying "scanning and repairing drive C:...". I found it strange and searched it up immediatly. Most of the tutorials said for me to do lots of stuff and in the end to go in cmd and use the command "fsutil dirty query C:"....
  3. My C drive is dirty.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My C drive is dirty.: Hello, today when I booted my pc there was a screen saying "scanning and repairing drive C:...". I found it strange and searched it up immediatly. Most of the tutorials said for me to do lots of stuff and in the end to go in cmd and use the command "fsutil dirty query C:"....
  4. My C drive is dirty.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive c: dirty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive c: dirty: Hi, I have a issue with my drive c: being dirty. I tried following the answer in this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-needs-repair-on-every-single-startup/ac83ece6-e18a-4839-b1bd-c5b3a88abe68 , however I don't see command prompt on the...
  6. Drive c: dirty

Drive c: dirty: Hi, I have a issue with my drive c: being dirty. I tried following the answer in this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-needs-repair-on-every-single-startup/ac83ece6-e18a-4839-b1bd-c5b3a88abe68 , however I don't see command prompt on the...
  7. C: Drive Dirty error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: Drive Dirty error: Recently started getting repairing and scanning drive every start up because my pc froze one day and wasn't shut off correctly, as in power unplugged. I’ve been on support with Microsoft for 4 hours before giving up and going to bed without an answer. Conclusion was my C:...
  8. C: Drive Dirty error

C: Drive Dirty error: Recently started getting repairing and scanning drive every start up because my pc froze one day and wasn't shut off correctly, as in power unplugged. I’ve been on support with Microsoft for 4 hours before giving up and going to bed without an answer. Conclusion was my C:...
  9. c: drive dirty bit error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    c: drive dirty bit error: Hello, on every boots my computer checks my c: drive and tries to repair it. I have figured out why it is doing this, it is because it has dirty bit. I have already tried booting from a USB drive and using the command "chkdsk c: /f" This unfortuntely does not work. It does...
  10. C drive is dirty

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C drive is dirty: So I was getting black screens in my games and on booting my computer it was scanning and repairing my c drives so I went over to command prompt and ran fsutil dirty query c : and it popped off the message that volume c is dirty how do I remove the dirty bits ? Is this what...