Windows 10: My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

Discus and support My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My CD/DVD drive is not recognized by my HP Elitebook. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system several times. When I restart, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rob_Benjamin, Apr 17, 2019.

1. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

My CD/DVD drive is not recognized by my HP Elitebook. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system several times. When I restart, the drivers are reinstalled and Device Manager reports that the drive is working correctly. However, the drive does not show up in File Explorer. If I put a CD or DVD into the drive, I can hear drive activity but the files do not open and nothing happens.

:)

Rob_Benjamin, Apr 17, 2019

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized. [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Nofsdad Win User
    No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the registry and nothing works. This is one of several problems I've had with device drivers since the upgrade.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    AMD FX-4130 3.80Ghz
    8Gb Installed memory

Nofsdad, Apr 17, 2019
  4. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

1. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized. - Similar Threads - DVD drive longer

2. Cd/dvd Drive no longer displays as installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cd/dvd Drive no longer displays as installed: Hi. I just noticed that my E-drive/ cd-dvd drive no longer shows up as an installed device. I followed an Microsoft forum troubleshooting guide and uninstalled the driver. I then restarted the laptop. The driver did NOT install upon restart.System is windows 10, HP laptop....
  3. CD/DVD Drive no longer recognized as existing in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Drive no longer recognized as existing in Windows 10 Home: My CD/DVD Drive no longer shows up in device manager, disc manager, explorer window, etc. in Windows 10 Home. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  4. CD/DVD not Recognized

CD/DVD not Recognized: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop that doesn't see the DVD/CD player. I think this happened after one of one of the Windows Update. The CD/DVD is shown in the BIOS. When I go into device manager I see the CD/DVD. I then uninstalled the device, restarted the PC and it...
  5. CD/DVD drive no longer works

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CD/DVD drive no longer works: I upgraded my Acer Aspire 7551-7422 to Windows 10 and the CD/DVD Super Multi DL Driver no longer works and Acer will not support windows 10. So, is there a CD/DVD driver available to download compatible with my Laptop?...
  6. My CD/DVD drive is no longer working, help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My CD/DVD drive is no longer working, help!: The CD/DVD drive is recognized, but won't read the data. The cd/dvd gets ejected when I try to 'open' the data, music, or games, (see attached screenshots). The cd/dvd drive use to work, until the Windows 10 update, v1803, in may this year. Just trying to open content from...
  7. CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows

CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  8. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  9. No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive: Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the...
  10. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cd drive no longer recognised