Windows 10: My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why?

Discus and support My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My CD/DVD drive in my desktop computer (HP) will sometimes not do anything when I insert a CD. At times, when I attempt to open it by the use of file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by A. WayneGreen, Feb 17, 2019.

1. My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why?

My CD/DVD drive in my desktop computer (HP) will sometimes not do anything when I insert a CD. At times, when I attempt to open it by the use of file manager, it will open the drive, as if to "throw out" the CD, One CD I tried to use was a new program I bought. I tried it on my laptop and it worked like it was supposed to.

I have auto read turned on.

What is going on?

:)

A. WayneGreen, Feb 17, 2019

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why? [​IMG]

My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why? [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Feb 17, 2019
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Feb 17, 2019
  4. My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why?

Windows only recognized DVD Drive when Music CD or Software CD/DVD inserted.

Since the upgrade to the final version of Windows 10, my DVD/CD drive does not recognize blank discs or a disc that has been formatted on another computer. Music CDs are recognized. I ran the troubleshooter and it did not find a problem with the drive
    and in Device Manager, it is marked as functioning properly. I tried the trouble shooter "View All" but the "Playing and Burning of DVD...." is not in the list of troubleshooting packs available. This drive functioned just fine until the final W10 version
    was installed.

BJWalker Jr, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why?

1. My CD/DVD drive will sometimes not recognize or play a CD when inserted, why? - Similar Threads - DVD drive sometimes

2. CD/DVD not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD not Recognized: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop that doesn't see the DVD/CD player. I think this happened after one of one of the Windows Update. The CD/DVD is shown in the BIOS. When I go into device manager I see the CD/DVD. I then uninstalled the device, restarted the PC and it...
  3. Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer doesn't recognize it when I insert a CD or DVD: When I insert a DVD or CD into the external CVS Player attached to my computer, there is no response, so I am unable to play or record discs. How can I correct this situation so that my pc acknowledges a disc or whatever else I might might want to enter....
  4. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.: My CD/DVD drive is not recognized by my HP Elitebook. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system several times. When I restart, the drivers are reinstalled and Device Manager reports that the drive is working correctly. However, the drive does not show up in...
  5. DVD/CD'S Not Playing

DVD/CD'S Not Playing: Dvd's/cd's are no longer playing on my ACER Aspire E15 laptop. I downloaded Windows 10 last year. I have not used my dvd drive since installing Windows 10. When I put a DVD in, the green light comes on and then goes off and nothing else happens. The DVD/CD drive shows on...
  6. CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows

CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  7. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  8. No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive: Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the...
  9. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...
  10. Auto play on inserting a dvd or cd

Auto play on inserting a dvd or cd: Good evening to all. I decided to make an image of my C drive on my windows ten spare laptop,Using the free Macrium Reflect software. followed all the info on how to proceed with the software,It all went well I burnt the recovery disc as directed. Now this is where...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my computer do not recognize cd inserted

2. pc does not automatically recognize a usb or cd inserted