Windows 10: My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

Discus and support My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TonyTran2005, Dec 18, 2022.

1. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive in my laptop, the drive would power on, but the laptop doesn't recognize it. In fact, the DVD drive wouldn't show up in Device Manager or File Explorer. That same problem also happens on other laptops that I tried on. My external DVD drive was working fine earlier before now, when that problem happened. Is there anything I should do to fix that problem?

:)

TonyTran2005, Dec 18, 2022

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 18, 2022
  3. Windows 10 and External DVD drive

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I would suggest you to open the device manager and check if the drive shows up in device manager.

Follow the steps given below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press enter to open device manager.

3. Expand DVD/CD-Rom drives and check if the external DVD drive is listed.

4. If so, right click on it and uninstall it.

5. Restart the computer.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 18, 2022
  4. Karla Alm Win User

My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

How to get Windows DVD Player to recognize my external DVD drive using Windows 10

Hello Bill,

We would like to know more about your concern. Kindly clarify the following:

• What is your OS build and version?
    • Did you make any changes before you experience this?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to access your external drive using Windows DVD Player?

For the meantime, you can refer to this link to help you in troubleshooting
    the issue. Listed on the link are steps to be able to make your external drive recognizable.

We will wait for your response regarding our probing questions and if the provided link worked.

Karla Alm, Dec 18, 2022
Thema:

My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

1. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive - Similar Threads - computer can't recognize

2. My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer can't recognize the external DVD drive: I've recently decided to use my Rioddas external DVD drive model number: BT638 on my Windows 11 laptop. However, when I plugged my external DVD drive in my laptop, the drive would power on, but the laptop doesn't recognize it. In fact, the DVD drive wouldn't show up in Device...
  3. my computer does not recognize an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer does not recognize an external drive.: I have attached an external hard drive via a usb port but this computer does not recognize the drive. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-an-external-drive/bcc73174-e3ee-4198-8b4a-631207a46f1a
  4. my computer does not recognize an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer does not recognize an external drive.: I have attached an external hard drive via a usb port but this computer does not recognize the drive. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-an-external-drive/bcc73174-e3ee-4198-8b4a-631207a46f1a
  5. My dvd drive is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My dvd drive is not recognized: My dvd drive is not recognized by windows 10. I try play many dvd but it is not playing any dvd and I think this happen after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized/38261ea3-e7c9-4d4b-9dd4-c2be23d02d44
  6. dvd drive not recognized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dvd drive not recognized: I upgraded windows 7 to 10 when it came out but I failed to install the dvd player at the time, I went to purchase it from microsoft but the app doesnt recognize the drive f at all and the driver say cd not dvd not sure what to do at this point *Moved from Windows Vista to...
  7. External hard drive not recognized in My Computer

External hard drive not recognized in My Computer: I have a USB External hard drive which is not showing up in My Computer although it was formerly. What can I do to correct this or access my data on it. I'm using Win10 with the latest updates. Thanks....
  8. DVD drive not recognized?

DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  9. DVD drive not recognized?

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD drive not recognized?: The DVD drive in the Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) does not recognize the CDs. [ATTACH] The CDs are shown in file managers / other programs, there the drive letter is shown: [ATTACH] Drive Manger, Win: [ATTACH] How could the CD shown by all programs? 128554
  10. Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD part of my external DVD/CD drive

Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD part of my external DVD/CD drive: Windows 10, Cocopa external DVD/CD writer. Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-does-not-recognize-the-dvd-part-of-my/b0d37d42-8936-4ffa-b689-3d511ed2ca19