Windows 10: My computer connects to an external monitor but not its own

Discus and support My computer connects to an external monitor but not its own in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It's a Lenovo X1 Carbon third gen. How could I fix this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mkbw50, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Mkbw50 Win User

My computer connects to an external monitor but not its own

It's a Lenovo X1 Carbon third gen. How could I fix this?

:)

Mkbw50, Oct 6, 2018
  2. Rose Cal Win User

external monitors switch off randomly - possibly connected to Skype for Business usage?

Hi Robert,

It is possible that you're experiencing issues with your external monitors due to corrupted or outdated drivers. To assist you better, I'd like to gather more information:

• Are you using the same device when connecting your laptop to your external monitors?
    • Have you tried updating your drivers?

Meanwhile, if not, I suggest that you follow the steps in this article about updating drivers in Windows

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 6, 2018
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    External Monitor with Quicken

Hi Mark,

It is possible that the display resolution automatically adjusts after connecting to an external monitor. For us to properly isolate this issue, we have some questions for you:

• Are you experiencing the same issue even without using the Quicken tool?
    • Have you checked if the display resolution settings of the Surface device and the external monitor is the same?
    • Have you tried checking for a graphics device driver update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to isolate the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Oct 6, 2018
  4. My computer connects to an external monitor but not its own

Windows 10 upgrade: can no longer connect to an external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the external monitor in Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

As you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps, let us know the following to assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you try to connect to the external display?
    • Were you able to see the light on the external monitor (Tuned on/ not)?
    • Is there any error message with this issue?

Step 1: As this may look very silly, I suggest you to check if the turned on or not, if it is on let us know the color of the light displayed.

Step 2: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard and try to perform clean boot to check if there is any issue with the device and to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

My computer connects to an external monitor but not its own

1. My computer connects to an external monitor but not its own - Similar Threads - computer connects external

2. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  3. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  4. Laptop recognizing its own monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop recognizing its own monitor: Hello, my laptop recently stopped recognizing its own screen as a monitor. The only way to use it is to plug it into a secondary external monitor via an hdmi cord. I checked an ensured that the drivers were up to date and tried booting it in safe mode to no avail. So, I'm...
  5. Laptop recognizing its own monitor

Laptop recognizing its own monitor: Hello, my laptop recently stopped recognizing its own screen as a monitor. The only way to use it is to plug it into a secondary external monitor via an hdmi cord. I checked an ensured that the drivers were up to date and tried booting it in safe mode to no avail. So, I'm...
  6. My computer restarts on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer restarts on its own: My computer restarts on its own when I launch a game. I use a configuration under Am5. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-restarts-on-its-own/88010eb1-df91-42c9-a222-08c0a0de7096
  7. My computer restarts on its own

My computer restarts on its own: My computer restarts on its own when I launch a game. I use a configuration under Am5. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-restarts-on-its-own/88010eb1-df91-42c9-a222-08c0a0de7096
  8. Display changed on its own on one of my monitors

Display changed on its own on one of my monitors: I am currently using two Dell Monitors with a laptop, all connected thru a docking station. All was good until today, suddenly one of my monitors has a black bar at the top and bottom, the taskbar is blurred and barely readable, and the option to choose system icons in the...
  9. Why is my computer restarting on its own?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my computer restarting on its own?: The last couple of days my PC has been restarting itself sometime at night I'm assuming. I have been doing a lot of large file transfers which is why I've been leaving my PC on overnight recently and I notice that in the morning it's on the logon screen. Here are the logs...
  10. My computer registers keystrokes on its own

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer registers keystrokes on its own: Hey! I recently bought a hp gaming laptop with Win10. But recently i have been facing some problens with the computer. The system eandomly regosters keystroke especially the key "a" and the down navigation key. But when i want to use the key it wont work. I tried...