Windows 10: My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive

Discus and support My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive. I've tried to go into Disk Management and I cannot find anything that helps.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bkokenos, Dec 15, 2018.

1. bkokenos Win User

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive. I've tried to go into Disk Management and I cannot find anything that helps.

:)

bkokenos, Dec 15, 2018
  2. cobrasl Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

cobrasl, Dec 15, 2018
  3. AnneFox1 Win User
    I can not find my WD external hard drive on my newest computer to download?

I have opened the file you suggested but how does that assist me to get the WD external hard drive connected to the computer

AnneFox1, Dec 15, 2018
  4. vallero Win User

external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

1. My computer does not recognize my WD external hard drive - Similar Threads - computer does recognize

2. Computer not recognizing new WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not recognizing new WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive.: I need help with an external hard drive not working on my laptop computer. The external drive is a WD My Passport 2tb. I'm running Windows 11. I am not a computer literate when it comes to something not working right out of the box. I did try several "hacks" recommended on...
  3. Computer not recognizing new WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not recognizing new WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive.: I need help with an external hard drive not working on my laptop computer. The external drive is a WD My Passport 2tb. I'm running Windows 11. I am not a computer literate when it comes to something not working right out of the box. I did try several "hacks" recommended on...
  4. my computer does not recognize an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer does not recognize an external drive.: I have attached an external hard drive via a usb port but this computer does not recognize the drive. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-an-external-drive/bcc73174-e3ee-4198-8b4a-631207a46f1a
  5. my computer does not recognize an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer does not recognize an external drive.: I have attached an external hard drive via a usb port but this computer does not recognize the drive. What am I doing wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-recognize-an-external-drive/bcc73174-e3ee-4198-8b4a-631207a46f1a
  6. My computer does not recognize my WD External DriveWD Elements 1023

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer does not recognize my WD External DriveWD Elements 1023: My drive works normally and fine until yesterday I plugged it in at school to copy a system image. It doesn't show up in Explorer and neither in diskmgr. Then I tried to find it in device manager, but there was no my disk or anything about "USB Mass Storage Device". Its light...
  7. External hard drive not recognized in My Computer

External hard drive not recognized in My Computer: I have a USB External hard drive which is not showing up in My Computer although it was formerly. What can I do to correct this or access my data on it. I'm using Win10 with the latest updates. Thanks....
  8. Windows does not recognize my external hard drive

Windows does not recognize my external hard drive: Windows 10 used to recognize my external hard drive when i plugged it in to the USB port. Suddenly, it doesn't. How do I get it to see the external drive?...
  9. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  10. Computer does not recognize external hard drive

Computer does not recognize external hard drive: Hi all,I googled this but I really can't find an answer,hear goes.I have 2 seagate external hard drives with all my movies and tv shows.I plug it into my dvd player and watch them on my smart tv.I bought a new one which says seagate external expansion drive.It is not...