Windows 10: My computer forced an update. Now a lot of programs are randomly not starting up or crashing

Discus and support My computer forced an update. Now a lot of programs are randomly not starting up or crashing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I currently have a problem that I need help with. In the past, my computer would crash while in the middle of updating, so I would most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AutoRealism, Apr 4, 2021.

1. My computer forced an update. Now a lot of programs are randomly not starting up or crashing

Hello, I currently have a problem that I need help with.

In the past, my computer would crash while in the middle of updating, so I would most of the time avoid such updates. I've done everything I can to remedy this by disabling automatic updates or just refusing to update when asked to. However, as everyone makes mistakes I accidentally restarted my computer, which prompted a new update. The newest update that was forced onto my computer is KB4601319. After this update, a lot of programs just aren't working. One example is that modded versions of java edition minecraft are not only intensely slower to load but also crash when a world file is loaded. Another example is that google chrome will not even open. I've tried opening by right clicking and even going into incognito mode but nothing happens, and now I'm stuck using firefox. Please help me find a solution to this and also stop my computer from giving constant "you're computer needs to restart for a new update" prompts. Thank you

:)

AutoRealism, Apr 4, 2021
  2. Naby Win User

10 Crashing Randomly and During Updates and File Downloads

This is a re-post from here.

I have a Windows 10 PC that I run 24/7. I have Windows Updates disabled through the Group Policy Editor. I still perform updates manually every few days. Windows Defender updates work fine. Other Windows updates cause the PC to crash, no BSOD or anything, it just turns off. I've looked for 1074, 6006, and 6008 event log files to explain why and I haven't been able to find anything.

Other times the computer just randomly crashes and also sometimes when downloading files. The symptom is the same, I check on it and find it powered down or it just shuts off while I'm using it. It boots back up fine and I see no cause listed in the event logs.

I have been through the 3 tests suggested to me on the old thread. SMART looked good, memtest ran for 33 hours for 8 passes with no errors, and prime was run for 3 hours with no errors.

I think the next step was to run V2 Log collector, that data is attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Naby, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Vaindil Win User
    Programs crashing, random BSODs, lots of instability

My brother's computer keeps getting BSODs, and he's having other issues where programs are randomly crashing as well. It can happen to any program, and Windows services are randomly crashing too according to Event Viewer. I've done the usual stuff: updated all drivers, ran Windows updates, ran sfc /scannow and the DISM equivalent, but nothing is fixing it. Logs are attached. He was having the problem on 1903, I updated him to 1909, still happening.

Vaindil, Apr 4, 2021
  4. My computer forced an update. Now a lot of programs are randomly not starting up or crashing

Computer starts slowly and freezes a lot.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10. 

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

This issue might occur, due to any third party application conflict.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to
    Run Maintenance task

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.

• Follow on screen instructions.
    If issue persist, I suggest you to try method 2.

Method 2:

Step 1: Clean boot

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Step 2: Safe Mode

To start your system in safe mode follow the below steps:

• Press and hold Shift key and
      restart your Computer.

• Select Troubleshoot.

• Select Advance Option.

• Select Startup Repair.

• Follow the on Screen instruction.
    For more information refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/user-accounts-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: Applies to Windows 10 also.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

My computer forced an update. Now a lot of programs are randomly not starting up or crashing

1. My computer forced an update. Now a lot of programs are randomly not starting up or crashing - Similar Threads - computer forced update

2. Computer random crashes and a lot of UE / Unity crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer random crashes and a lot of UE / Unity crashes: Hi,I've done a clean reset of the computer and, supposedly, everything is installed correctly and working. Drivers are up to date, temperatures look normal, etc.However, my computer every now and again randomly crashes and resets. I rarely see the BSOD but, it still restarts....
  3. Computer random crashes and a lot of UE / Unity crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer random crashes and a lot of UE / Unity crashes: Hi,I've done a clean reset of the computer and, supposedly, everything is installed correctly and working. Drivers are up to date, temperatures look normal, etc.However, my computer every now and again randomly crashes and resets. I rarely see the BSOD but, it still restarts....
  4. Why a lot of programs crashing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why a lot of programs crashing?: A lot of crashes: 1. PDF crashing on both local file and Internet page view I use Microsoft Edge to view PDF. After few seconds I see this smile: 2. Microsoft Edge crashing very often during web browsing and always during reading PDF regardless of where it is. ME are often...
  5. Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot: I have been having this issue for about a month now. Seemingly randomly, i get this while playing games, browsing the web, switching tabs, etc. my main monitor will turn black, and my system will freeze the rgb on my ram also stops. Sometimes it stutters a couple times when...
  6. Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot: I have been having this issue for about a month now. Seemingly randomly, i get this while playing games, browsing the web, switching tabs, etc. my main monitor will turn black, and my system will freeze the rgb on my ram also stops. Sometimes it stutters a couple times when...
  7. Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Random "program" in start up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random "program" in start up: I was just trying to shut off something from my startup and I saw this [ATTACH] I cant open file location, or check properties. My friend said that it was just because I had a program in startup that I uninstalled but I doubt it. Responses would be appretiated....
  9. Programs crashing, random BSODs, lots of instability

Programs crashing, random BSODs, lots of instability: My brother's computer keeps getting BSODs, and he's having other issues where programs are randomly crashing as well. It can happen to any program, and Windows services are randomly crashing too according to Event Viewer. I've done the usual stuff: updated all drivers, ran...
  10. My computer crashes a lot

My computer crashes a lot: I have a decent gaming pc and recently my computer been having some blue screen problems. Also, whenever I run a game they either crash after a little while, crash while loading or have low performance. So, I was wondering if anyone here can help me?...