Windows 10: My computer has a virus and its stopping Windows Defender from running

Discus and support My computer has a virus and its stopping Windows Defender from running in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi how's it going? I was hoping maybe somebody could help I have contracted virtual coronavirus, Windows defender is unavailable. I have tried... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MyPcGotTheCovid, Apr 28, 2020.

1. My computer has a virus and its stopping Windows Defender from running

Hi how's it going?

I was hoping maybe somebody could help

I have contracted virtual coronavirus, Windows defender is unavailable.

I have tried everything here -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problems-starting-windows-defender-in-windows/808253bb-db89-4db9-a4e5-1c91a86489e9

- notably, deleted MsMpEng and added DisableAntiSpyware, and Windows defender is still not working.

It opens, but all that can be seen is

"

d health of your device

"

And what looks to be a white white box covering the left of the screen the Windows Security header, the arrow below and the three horizontal lines below that are visable, and at the bottom of the window, the gear and settings too, but nothing else..

Trying to scan a drive or folder with a right click brings up

"Page Not Available

Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you have tried to access is not available. Contact IT help desk for more information [OK]

I've tried restoring to an earlier image before contraction from Recovery but it's not helping..

I'd rather not have to reinstall, any help would be appreciated.

:)

MyPcGotTheCovid, Apr 28, 2020

2. Windows Defender Not On

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run virus scan to make sure the computer is free from virus.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove virus, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Method 2:

Turn the Defender on. Follow the below steps:

• In search, type Defender.
    • Now make the option ON by moving the slider accordingly.

Method 3: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.
    • Select “Run as Administrator”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Apr 28, 2020
  3. windows defender scanning stopped

Hi Mary,

As per the issue description you are unable to scan your computer using Windows Defender. While scanning your system you are getting an error message "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or
    restart you computer, which will start the service."

The issue could be if the service responsible for Windows defender either get corrupted or is stopped. Try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows Defender are running. If it is running make sure the status is Automatic. You may follow the steps provided below to check the services.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each service and start the service if not running.

Method 2

If issue persists, try to refer the articles mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 28, 2020
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

My computer has a virus and its stopping Windows Defender from running

win 10 defender issues

Hi,

Windows Defender helps in making your computer secure from any viruses or malware. Listed below are some reasons why the program will not work properly:

• Software conflicts (usually cause with other anti-virus application)
    • Virus and malware infection
    • Corrupted system files

To help you with the issue, we suggest following the steps provided by
    PrashantKumar96
    on this thread
    that can help in running your Windows Defender successfully.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

My computer has a virus and its stopping Windows Defender from running

1. My computer has a virus and its stopping Windows Defender from running - Similar Threads - computer has virus

2. Windows Defender is stopping me from running my games

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender is stopping me from running my games: Hifor the last few weeks windows defender has been stopping me from running games that I have had installed for years and worked perfectly.the error that it's picking up is that steam_api.dll is a virus. the thing is that while this is a cracked file I've been using it for...
  3. My computer has virus

My computer has virus: I touch computer when i have COVID does my computer have virus???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-computer-has-virus/6683940a-d2ec-476f-85ea-5521507e0ba8
  4. Is My Computer Has A Virus?

Is My Computer Has A Virus?: What Is Happening In My Computer? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-my-computer-has-a-virus/5569b8ed-6365-4b26-b3b2-cb218fcf76e3
  5. my window defender has stopped

my window defender has stopped: hello my window defender has stopped. I already tried the tutorials but nothing,still the same. tells me that the IT administrator limited access to some areas of this app and the item you are trying to access is not available. Contact YOUR Technical Support. I need help :,u...
  6. Windows defender is not running on my computer

Windows defender is not running on my computer: Windows defender is not running on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-is-not-running-on-my-computer/69b5f32e-bfee-4974-8797-d0b136e853d9"
  7. Windows Defender has Stopped

Windows Defender has Stopped: Split from this thread. hi my windows defender has stopped and I cannot open my outlook please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-has-stopped/f77a8930-918b-419b-b216-b9a640340205
  8. Windows Defender has stopped.

Windows Defender has stopped.: pls start window defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-has-stopped/3604ac00-6dc5-4468-9738-ff8acaec71fd
  9. Windows Defender - Virus and Threat Protection - Threat service has stopped

Windows Defender - Virus and Threat Protection - Threat service has stopped: Hi, I recently had malware on my pc and windows defender was unable to remove it. I used some malware removers (rogue killer, unhackme and awdcleaner) and got rid of the malware. But in the process I think I also removed MsMpeng.exe which if the exe file of windows defender...
  10. My computer has a virus

My computer has a virus: So there's two issues: 1) My computer has a virus with the svcvmx program and anything related to it. My antivirus won't start or download. I've tried everything possible I could but nothing is happening. 2) My Internet will connect but there's no Internet. I've tried...