Windows 10: My computer is bitlocker encrypted, I just want to wipe it clean and use it again.

Discus and support My computer is bitlocker encrypted, I just want to wipe it clean and use it again. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need to know how to create an installation media to download windows 10 and format my HP Envy laptop. I can't find the bitlocker key, I have looked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mtwoguns, Jun 28, 2020.

1. mtwoguns Win User

My computer is bitlocker encrypted, I just want to wipe it clean and use it again.

I need to know how to create an installation media to download windows 10 and format my HP Envy laptop. I can't find the bitlocker key, I have looked for weeks. I just want to be able to use it again. I didn't have anything saved on it, because I haven't had it long. Any help is appreciated.

:)

mtwoguns, Jun 28, 2020
  2. mrje1 Win User

Wiping my Windows 10 pro PC.What Method should I use to wipe-Reinstall

This clean install you are recommending it sounds like the one I mentioned in my original post. Correct? If not, what clean install are you suggesting? Also, I have never used bitlocker, why and/or when should I use that feature?

Thank you!

mrje1, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Can't get Bitlocker to encrypt C: drive

Thanks for your reply. I have not looked at the BIOS settings. Have not changed the BIOS since I originally encrypted the drive a couple of years ago, and it worked fine then, but it's worth a look.

I'll take a look at the settings when I'm in my office again and report back.

- - - Updated - - -

OK. Looked at BIOS, enabled Secure Boot and UEFI, computer would not boot. Went back to Legacy Boot and UEFI disabled. Booted.

Went though Bitlocker setup again, this time at final stage, unchecked "Run Bitlocker system check," and encryption started. Tomorrow I'll see if I have created other problems. If so, probably next step is to wipe the hard disk and start over.

Stan

- - - Updated - - -

Final post: What I did above worked. Drive is encrypted. When I restarted, I got the expected blue screen asking for my password. So all is well . . . at least so it seems.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. I appreciate your input so much!

Stan

sbumgarner, Jun 28, 2020
  4. tekkie Win User

My computer is bitlocker encrypted, I just want to wipe it clean and use it again.

BitLocker hardware encryption cannot be activated on Win10 10586/1511

Hey,

I'm having trouble enabling hardware encryption with BitLocker using Windows 10 build 10586 on a clean install with a Samsung 850 SSD. The encryption worked flawlessly before on build 10240.

I've spent hours and attempted multiple solutions and made several tests.

As mentioned, on the same machine, if clean installing build 10240 (RTM, before November update) right now, the encryption works.

I have UEFI on with Legacy/CSM off, Fast Boot on, Secure Boot on, and a clean GPT installation after using the 'diskpart clean' command.

As always, it's required to change a group policy to allow additional authentication at startup. I did that.

On a clean installation of build 10586, the wizard will say 'parameter is incorrect' when attempting to start encryption.

Microsoft did announce some BitLocker-related changes for build 10586: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403325

There are also new group policies added. I've tried all combinations. They now allow you to try and force a specific encryption cipher. Samsung uses XES-AES256. I tried forcing that (as well as all other combinations) but the same error returns.

Now, here's where it gets interesting, and possibly why no reports about this have surfaced yet:
    If you enable the encryption on build 10240, and then upgrade to 10586, the encryption will remain and will work properly on build 10586.

If you then attempt to 'Reset this PC', and choose the 'keep nothing' option, it will warn you that BitLocker will be disabled. Once it's done cleaning, if you attempt to enable encryption, it will again show the error.

Even if you don't reset the PC, but simply disable BitLocker on 10586 and then attempt to re-enable it, it will no longer work.

tl;dr: Hardware encryption via BitLocker on build 10586 cannot be enabled on a clean install. Currently-known workaround is installing 10240, encrypting it, then upgrading to 10586.

Any solutions would be appreciated, thanks!

tekkie, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

1. My computer is bitlocker encrypted, I just want to wipe it clean and use it again. - Similar Threads - computer bitlocker encrypted

2. wipe computer clean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wipe computer clean?: I have a new computer and I need to know how to clean off all the files. Thank you. It is a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wipe-computer-clean/67ec7867-b919-4832-afe0-e97cd38e292e
  3. wipe computer clean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wipe computer clean?: I have a new computer and I need to know how to clean off all the files. Thank you. It is a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wipe-computer-clean/67ec7867-b919-4832-afe0-e97cd38e292e
  4. wipe computer clean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Why not just use BitLocker to wipe a drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why not just use BitLocker to wipe a drive?: I have some old external and internal hard drives as well as an SSD I need to wipe before giving away.There are a lot of software solutions out there to wipe a drive clean single or multipass writes, military grade algorithms, etc. but they can take anywhere from hours to...
  6. Why not just use BitLocker to wipe a drive?

Why not just use BitLocker to wipe a drive?: I have some old external and internal hard drives as well as an SSD I need to wipe before giving away.There are a lot of software solutions out there to wipe a drive clean single or multipass writes, military grade algorithms, etc. but they can take anywhere from hours to...
  7. Why not just use BitLocker to wipe a drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Wipe My Computer Clean

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wipe My Computer Clean: Currently, I am preparing my computer to return to an employer. We were allowed to use it for personal use however some word documents that were for personal use were placed on the desktop. I've since cut those personal docs from the desktop and pasted to my thumb drive. My...
  9. Wipe My Computer Clean

Wipe My Computer Clean: Currently, I am preparing my computer to return to an employer. We were allowed to use it for personal use however some word documents that were for personal use were placed on the desktop. I've since cut those personal docs from the desktop and pasted to my thumb drive. My...
  10. Clean wipe a computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean wipe a computer: Hello, I would like to give away my old computer which is still working with windows 10 pro, but as you know from my previous posts, it fed me a lot of troubles. But first I want to "clean" all my documents, passwords kept on google chrome browser, pictures and videos, etc....