Windows 10: My computer is dying and upgrade is just around the corner

Discus and support My computer is dying and upgrade is just around the corner in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi and as the subject states, my personal computer is dying and its either the MB or chip. I bought the computer as a new build 5 years ago and was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by robbiewm, Jul 26, 2020.

1. robbiewm Win User

My computer is dying and upgrade is just around the corner

Hi and as the subject states, my personal computer is dying and its either the MB or chip. I bought the computer as a new build 5 years ago and was charged for a Windows 10 home key which was £100 at the time, my Question is once my new computer is built my old NOW computer will be destroyed as such and not passed on or sold, However I have been looking at some similar post about the way Windows was purchased, ie: did your computer come with Windows 10 already installed, or did you purchase it from retail? I am struggling with did you purchase it from retail as my purchase was from a computer shop and not from a lad down the road? So does this mean my purchase was retail OR does it still come under the fact It was already installed on my PC when I first ordered it, I have the product key for my original purchase and was just wondering If I can re use this on my new build OR is this also going to cost me Another £100+ to have OS, IF so for future upgrades How do I actually become the owner of a Key I purchased, being it from a computer shop OR through Microsoft's direct purchase and can be re-used by myself on any new builds in further futures? if that makes sense.

TBH if I need to buy Windows key again for my own personal use in my house then I think I will be pretty disappointed, considering my Now Computer is near its end, and you's will know I am not duplicating this Key onto 2 PC's.

A little clarity would be very useful before my decision purchase from the computer shop over me buying it for fool proof re installs

Also If I was charged by the PC shop £100 being the going rate at the time, why would it benefit them being the retail purchaser over me being the owner! surely this should be passed onto the person who owns the PC regardless of the key's purchase.

Sorry for Rant just need a littler clarity before new PC purchase, so at least I know how this Retail over OEM works

So if I get it right OEM means Shops can add Windows for you under licence but maybe for a fraction of the price, But the customer meaning ME gets charge the going rate for Windows regardless and still gets a key, if I was to build a PC and buy Windows and install myself for the same money I can move this onto another re build?

Thanks in advance for any help with this query

:)

robbiewm, Jul 26, 2020
  2. BenMoon Win User

Dying computer and Windows 10 free upgrade

My computer is dying and I would like to upgrade to the new Windows 10 to a new computer(when available). Will I need to transfer the current Win 7 to that computer then upgrade or is there a way to use my old installation on the dying computer to upgrade
    to the new computer?

BenMoon, Jul 26, 2020
  3. Dying computer and Windows 10 free upgrade

michaeldufey, Jul 26, 2020
  4. My computer is dying and upgrade is just around the corner

Mouse is erratic at upper left corner

Hello!

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (i.e., updates, software installation)
    This has been happening since the Windows 10 update, no issues prior to the Windows 10 update

• Is this the first time you experienced the issue?
    It has occurred non-stop since the Windows 10 upgrade, no issues prior to that upgrade.

• When did the issue first begin?
    After the Windows 10 update.

• To make sure we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve this?
    I have found a work around by decreasing the resolution on my laptop to be at 1024x768 instead of the recommended 1366x768. I cannot increase resolution from 1024x768 without the mouse being erratic and uncontrollable in the upper left corner .

Meemmeem_811, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

My computer is dying and upgrade is just around the corner

1. My computer is dying and upgrade is just around the corner - Similar Threads - computer dying upgrade

2. A consumer subscription version of Windows may be just around the corner

in Windows 10 News
    A consumer subscription version of Windows may be just around the corner: Rumors about a consumer subscription version of Windows have been floating around for several years. It is the next logical step for Microsoft in its quest to make continuous revenue from its products. Microsoft transitioned Office already. While still available for a...
  3. Just upgraded to windows 11, now my computer will not boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just upgraded to windows 11, now my computer will not boot: Upgrade completed now my computer will not boot completely. It appears to be freezing. I have no access to mouse after about 20 seconds. If I can get my entire password entered and access my desktop, my screen will flash off and on. Any help is appreciated...
  4. Just upgraded to windows 11, now my computer will not boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Just upgraded to windows 11, now my computer will not boot: Upgrade completed now my computer will not boot completely. It appears to be freezing. I have no access to mouse after about 20 seconds. If I can get my entire password entered and access my desktop, my screen will flash off and on. Any help is appreciated...
  5. I was trying to wipe the hard drive then my computer died, now it’s just constantly...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was trying to wipe the hard drive then my computer died, now it’s just constantly...: I went into the options for restarting my computer and decided to wipe my hard drive and totally clean it. But my computer died like a fourth of the way through it and now it is just shutting down and repeating the same screen over and over and over again. And then it shows...
  6. I was trying to wipe the hard drive then my computer died, now it’s just constantly...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I was trying to wipe the hard drive then my computer died, now it’s just constantly...: I went into the options for restarting my computer and decided to wipe my hard drive and totally clean it. But my computer died like a fourth of the way through it and now it is just shutting down and repeating the same screen over and over and over again. And then it shows...
  7. I just want to die

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just want to die: So I got new headphones with mic and plugged them in, the mic was very quiet so I tried diffrent usb input and it was the same problem, so I downloaded drivers for this product and windows just didn't want to accept them, I unistalled them and tried another input this time it...
  8. My cursor constantly bounces around in the corner

in Windows 10 Support
    My cursor constantly bounces around in the corner: Hello, first post here. This problem is driving me so berserk *Banghead that I had to create an account just to ask about it. So as soon as I get to the lock screen, my cursor starts spazzing out in the lower-left corner of my screen with a weird pointer, it looks sort of...
  9. tablet cant upgrade..... just want my computer to work!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    tablet cant upgrade..... just want my computer to work!: I have an acer aspire one. A little 10.1 inch 32 gb windows 10 tablet. It has been hung up on trying to install 1803 for months. I run the update problem solver and it tells me I have updates pending and starts the update process.... again... and again. I have over 8 gb...
  10. Computer died

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer died: Hello, this may not be an issue for this forum, but I don't know where else to start. When I got up this morning, my screen was blank. I tried to re boot it, but nothing happened. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but the start button did nothing. I have a power supply...