Windows 10: My computer is having an identity crisis

Discus and support My computer is having an identity crisis in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to repair my Homegroup, which I use for synchronizing two computers. I have two machines ("Dell" and "Vaio") on a Homegroup. The network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidOdden, Jun 23, 2016.

1. My computer is having an identity crisis

I am trying to repair my Homegroup, which I use for synchronizing two computers. I have two machines ("Dell" and "Vaio") on a Homegroup. The network was created on Vaio, and Dell joined after that. Both systems were running Win 7-64 Pro, and folder sharing has been set up. Up to now, things have run fine for 9 months. I recently upgraded to Win10 on Dell, and the Homegroup still worked. But just recently, something broke. One symptom is that Dell cannot access Vaio (but Vaio can access Dell: I transfered a file from Vaio to Dell without any problem). On Dell, Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup tells me that David Odden on Dell has created a homegroup -- kind of a silly thing to say since I'm on Dell as David Odden (both machines have one user). Since it offers me the option to join the homegroup, I try to join now; I give it the password (which it says I can get from David Odden on Dell -- it is the Dell, so it should know, but it was set up by the Vaio -- this suggests that it is has bad information on who "owns" the network). It takes forever trying to connect using the password, eventually failing (it says it no longer detects a homegroup on the network). The homegroup troubleshooter can't find any problem. Worst part is, there does not seem to be any option to create a (new) homegroup on the Dell. Anybody have any idea what the problem is and how to solve it?

:)

DavidOdden, Jun 23, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

verify my identity crisis

Not a waste of time.

It helps you and others understand the process.

Glad you are on the road to restoring.

garym123, Jun 23, 2016
  3. verify my identity crisis

i used the backup option that came with the windows operating system, sorry for not being clear. The phone boots up fine but its as its restoring my phone from the backup from my microsoft account it asks for identity verification and asks where i want the
    code sending. The options they gave me was:

- we will text a code to the number ending in xxxx (which is the phone im trying to restore)

- we will call you to tell you a code to the number ending in xxxx (which is also the phone im trying to restore)

- i cant do this at this time

if i click the 3rd option it quits the restoring and goes back to factory default, no 3rd party softwhare was used. I hope this clears it up My computer is having an identity crisis :)

stard3stroyer, Jun 23, 2016
Thema:

My computer is having an identity crisis

1. My computer is having an identity crisis - Similar Threads - computer having identity

2. Why do I have to keep "verifying my identity"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have to keep "verifying my identity"?: Every two hours or so, my PC suddenly forgets that I'm signed in and gives me a "Microsoft account error" pop-up that asks me to "verify my identity." All I have to do is enter my PIN to sign in again, but being signed out constantly in the middle of working is getting...
  3. Why do I have to keep "verifying my identity"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have to keep "verifying my identity"?: Every two hours or so, I get a pop-up that says "Microsoft account error: Verify your identity" that essentially stops me from using any Microsoft services logs me out of Word/Office, stops OneDrive syncing, etc.. I only have to enter my PIN to resolve it, but having to deal...
  4. Why do I have to keep "verifying my identity"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I have to keep "verifying my identity"?: Every two hours or so, I get a pop-up that says "Microsoft account error: Verify your identity" that essentially stops me from using any Microsoft services logs me out of Word/Office, stops OneDrive syncing, etc.. I only have to enter my PIN to resolve it, but having to deal...
  5. Two identical newly bought computers having BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two identical newly bought computers having BSODs: Hello there!I'd like to start out by saying I run a small IT business that does IT consultancy for other small and medium businesses.I've been active as a system and network engineer for the past 4 years so I have some idea of what I'm doing.However, it seems I found a...
  6. Verifying my identity

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Verifying my identity: When selecting Settings/Accounts/Your info I am informed that I need to verify my identity by clicking on a blue hyperlink labelled Verify. However, whenever I do click on this link I am presented with the following message in red:- "Sorry, there's a problem with the...
  7. Scamming, a national crisis

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scamming, a national crisis: So, we know that everyone at some point experiences annoying and intrusive telemarketing calls and loads of email spam, but now its not just telemarketers. The FTC Federal Trade Commission has declared that hacking, spoofing, and scamming, has now become a national crisis...
  8. Can not verify my Identity to my computer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can not verify my Identity to my computer.: I am trying to sync my passwords between my devices, but when attempting to, a prompt appears for me to enter a password for an account long gone. I have tried changing the password to said account, but when I try that it tells me the account no longer exists which I knew as...
  9. Dell Alienware Laptop having a Identity Crisis

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Alienware Laptop having a Identity Crisis: Jellybean thinks its a windows enterprise. Windows states that it is version 1903 0s build 18362.535 So in belarc it shows a e on the end of my windows key the format that is xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxe But it does not show it like that in the window "About" it shows it as...
  10. Crisis fail. need to recover

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crisis fail. need to recover: Booted the pc yesterday to find that infinite repair loop I have read about many times. tried to repair with a repair disc and it said I need an installation disc so that's where I am now. it says none of my drives are in the selected restore points except D:\ this is...