Windows 10: My computer is locked up. It is black and in the sleep mode.

Discus and support My computer is locked up. It is black and in the sleep mode. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I opened my computer and typed my password and then I got a message that they would text me at a phone number that I never had to make sure I was who I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by fvagrammy, Nov 17, 2019.

1. fvagrammy Win User

My computer is locked up. It is black and in the sleep mode.

I opened my computer and typed my password and then I got a message that they would text me at a phone number that I never had to make sure I was who I said I was. And when I responded they said I had to go to another computer and put in this mile long number to open my computer and then everything went black. Nothing I did could open it. What in the world happened?

:)

fvagrammy, Nov 17, 2019

2. sleep mode

Hi disgruntledWC,

There could be other settings on your computer that triggers your computer to go on sleep even though the sleep settings is set to never. To ensure that the sleep and display settings are properly set, I suggest that you look into the Advanced Power Settings.
    Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click Power Options.
    • On your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep option, and make sure to set the following:
    Sleep after : Never

Hibernate after : Never

5. Click Apply, then OK.

Please check also the screen saver option.

• Navigate to Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
    • Click Screen saver settings.
    • Set your Screen saver to None.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, please observe if your computer still goes to sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 17, 2019
  3. PJS
    pjs Win User
    PC hibernates / goes into sleep mode upon logout / screen lock

I am using my work computer. It's a laptop with a power connection (not running on battery.) The laptop is hocked up to two monitors (a total of three monitors, counting the laptop's own screen - I usually keep my laptop closed, however.)
    Since I am at work I always lock the screen when I leave my computer. (I use the windows+L shortcut to lock the screen.) This all works fine.

However, after about a minute the computer goes into sleep mode / hibernation. At least I think it does, because the two monitors goes black - and it takes a few seconds to "wake up the system" (the monitors doesn't come back to life immediately when I press a key on the keyboard / move the mouse, as they would if a screen saver was active.)
    This is very annoying if I step away from my computer for only a short while (like going to the bathroom.)

Here's what I want:
    With power (not running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 15 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

Without power (running on battery):
    When I lock the screen, I want the screen to stay on for 1 minute, then go to screen saver for 5 minutes, then go to hibernation/sleep mode.

My best bet is that this is some sort of power saving scheme thingie, but I can't seem to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Can someone please help me with a step-by-step guide to configure my system the way I want? Thank you.

4. My computer is locked up. It is black and in the sleep mode.

Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

My computer is locked up. It is black and in the sleep mode.

1. My computer is locked up. It is black and in the sleep mode. - Similar Threads - computer locked black

2. Sleep Mode doesn't Lock Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Mode doesn't Lock Computer: Hi all,I just upgraded computers and therefore went from Windows 10 to 11. Windows 11's "Sleep" option doesn't seem to work the same way as it used to. When I use it, the computer just powers down, but its easily accessed by myself or anyone else maliciously if they just move...
  3. Sleep Mode doesn't Lock Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep Mode doesn't Lock Computer: Hi all,I just upgraded computers and therefore went from Windows 10 to 11. Windows 11's "Sleep" option doesn't seem to work the same way as it used to. When I use it, the computer just powers down, but its easily accessed by myself or anyone else maliciously if they just move...
  4. my computer locks up with a black screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer locks up with a black screen.: Just had a new nvidia GEForce GRX 1070ti installed with the latest driver by a tech expert. The problem appears to be dashboard widgets? here is my problem report, can anyone here make head or tail?SourceMicrosoft® Windows® Operating SystemSummaryStopped...
  5. my computer locks up with a black screen.

my computer locks up with a black screen.: Just had a new nvidia GEForce GRX 1070ti installed with the latest driver by a tech expert. The problem appears to be dashboard widgets? here is my problem report, can anyone here make head or tail?SourceMicrosoft® Windows® Operating SystemSummaryStopped...
  6. My computer doesn't wake up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer doesn't wake up from sleep mode: This has been going on for a few days where I'll use the start menu to put my computer into sleep mode, but I then can't wake it up. I press the power button to wake it up, nothing happens. I try to use my mouse and keyboard, they don't respond despite having them set to be...
  7. My computer doesn't wake up from sleep mode

My computer doesn't wake up from sleep mode: This has been going on for a few days where I'll use the start menu to put my computer into sleep mode, but I then can't wake it up. I press the power button to wake it up, nothing happens. I try to use my mouse and keyboard, they don't respond despite having them set to be...
  8. Computer sleep but not sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer sleep but not sleep mode: I discovered this after I left a semi-intensive program running overnight after a certain amount of time maybe 15 mins I'm not sure, my computer would freeze the program. No warning no error message but after some testing it appeared to have gone into some sort of power...
  9. My computer is not waking up from sleep mode,

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My computer is not waking up from sleep mode,: Hi, My computer is not waking up from sleep mode, I end up having to hold down the power button for a few seconds forcing a restart. anyone know a fix for this?...
  10. Why is my computer waking up from sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is my computer waking up from sleep mode?: When I finish working on my computer and after a certain period of time, it goes to sleep. However, in hibernation it starts cyclically for approximately 10 minutes. Turn on the fan, the screen, ... and the windows login window....