Windows 10: My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What...

Discus and support My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Today, when I unplugged my laptop from my docking station, a blue screen flashed, and my computer restarted. The screen said something about drivers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Willzholl, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Willzholl Win User

My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What...

Today, when I unplugged my laptop from my docking station, a blue screen flashed, and my computer restarted. The screen said something about drivers not being equal, or something like that. My computer appears to be working properly now, but this is not the first time my computer has given me the blue screen. About two months ago, this same computer suddenly went blue screen and we couldn't fix it. We ended up getting a new hard drive, reflashed it and started over. After we did this, my computer started working again. --> I am very worried that my computer will stop working again. I'm lucky that my computer booted back up this time, but I'm worried that this will happen again. So, what should I do to figure out if there is something wrong with my computer, and prevent it from blue screening again, or possibly dying? I'm a college student, and I really can't have my computer die on me now. Everything is backed thankfully, but I'm worried this will happen again. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

:)

Willzholl, Oct 13, 2020
  2. jimhoyle Win User

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Oct 13, 2020
  3. Windows 10 boots fine but bluescreen when using restart function

Hi, Desiree - thanks for the reply! The only step I have taken is to re-download and install the Dell BIOS. But same problem exists. I have not taken any other troubleshooting steps yet because the computer works fine as long as I just turn it off/on and
    don't use the "restart" function. I have searched the internet for solutions, but have not found anyone with this same issue. So I have been using it without using "restart" function but I know eventually I will need the restart function so I would like to
    solve it.

I just tried "restart" so I could get you a screenshot and here it is (NOTE: I get out of bluescreen by going into "advanced options" of automatic repair and selecting "turn off" - then I just turn computer back on and it works fine):

My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What... 9f5d9d31-050e-4aa6-82a1-87cba869907d.jpg

DarrellWayne69, Oct 13, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What...

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 13, 2020
Thema:

1. My computer just bluescreened, but I restarted it and now it 'appears' to be fine. What... - Similar Threads - computer bluescreened restarted

2. my pc bluescreened when I restarted it and now it won’t boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc bluescreened when I restarted it and now it won’t boot.: I have an image, hope it helps.I think it’s running version 1909 and also has windows 7 on itI just hope there’s a way to fix it without losing my data.I also have a windows xp desktop....
  3. This just appeared on my PC. No idea what it is

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This just appeared on my PC. No idea what it is: [ATTACH] Hi, just turned on my pc today for work and these 2 folders have turned up. They look hidden and I don't know how to delete them. Any help will be appreciated. cant delete i've tried this submitted by /u/BLADENYT [link] [comments]...
  4. My Computer keeps freezing or just restarting what is wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer keeps freezing or just restarting what is wrong?: My computer is freezing periodically or just plain restarting randomly, this is really killing my school work flow and my photography productivity i attempted to fix the issue over chat with tech support with my SSD but now it cant even download windows onto it and i am...
  5. My Computer keeps freezing or just restarting what is wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer keeps freezing or just restarting what is wrong?: My computer is freezing periodically or just plain restarting randomly, this is really killing my school work flow and my photography productivity i attempted to fix the issue over chat with tech support with my SSD but now it cant even download windows onto it and i am...
  6. My Computer keeps freezing or just restarting what is wrong?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. So.. I booted up my computer and it was working just fine but when I restarted this BSOD...

So.. I booted up my computer and it was working just fine but when I restarted this BSOD...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TiFerTV [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kmhjik/so_i_booted_up_my_computer_and_it_was_working/
  8. What it that? It just appeared on my computer.

What it that? It just appeared on my computer.: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/3v1c1l0dx6561.jpg?width=602&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=41918e65c2afba848f34e6a2f21fac000be0562e I was afk and my PC was idle. When I came back, this thing showed up in the taskbar's hidden icons. I right clicked it and clicked "Open nahimic...
  9. My computer just froze and now wont restart

My computer just froze and now wont restart: Hello My son was on PC and it just went blank. It's a new computer Jan 20. It asks me on a blue screen to choose an option I have tried them all! It states it's running an automatic repair and that just requests restart PC or further troubleshoot. I've tried both to no...
  10. I Just Got My Computer And I Have A Screenshot Of What Appears To Be An Issue I'm Not...

I Just Got My Computer And I Have A Screenshot Of What Appears To Be An Issue I'm Not...: Hello I recently bought an HP computer and there seems to be an issue with the OS. I use Windows 10. My computer model is an HP Slimline Desktop - 290-a0009 The main reasons I decided to come here are: 1. Youtube videos have poor quality sound and video. 2. My...