Windows 10: My computer offers an update, how do I prepare?

Discus and support My computer offers an update, how do I prepare? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So my Asus Windows 10 is offering an update to server 2004 or something. Im asking if when I update, will I have to setup everything again? submitted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WackyH, Oct 17, 2020.

1. /u/WackyH Win User

My computer offers an update, how do I prepare?

So my Asus Windows 10 is offering an update to server 2004 or something. Im asking if when I update, will I have to setup everything again?

submitted by /u/WackyH
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WackyH, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

windows update keeps offering the same update

We understand that it is important to you to update your Windows 10. The
    SoftwareDistribution
    folder contains the files of Windows Update. The files inside that folder may be corrupted that is why you're encountering the issue. We suggest that you rename the folder to SoftwareDistribution.old folder so
    that Windows will create a new SoftwareDistribution folder. To do this, follow these steps:

• Access the link that we've provided in our last reply, and then follow the 2nd step.
    • Access File Explorer. Go to C:\Windows, and then look for
      SoftwareDistribution folder.
    • Right-click the folder, and then select Rename.
    • Rename the folder to SoftwareDistribution.old.
    • Access the link that we've provided again, and then follow the 9th step.
    • Restart the computer.

Windows Update is failing to install the updates that is why it keeps offering you the same updates. There may be a third party program running in the background that is why you're encountering the issue. We suggest that you
    perform a clean boot for us to know if you can update your Windows 10 while your third party apps are disabled.
    You can perform a clean boot on your computer after following steps 1-5.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, Oct 18, 2020
  3. What does Windows 10 do while it is "preparing to install updates"?

It's my understanding Windows is creating a shadow copy during this step, though I'm not able to find any sources to confirm this. However, I will offer the observations that:

• A shadow copy must get created at some point during the update process in order for System Restore to work.
    • Shadow copy creation always takes a noticeable amount of time time, even with an ideal system configuration. Further, depending on the number of VSS-aware applications installed, this can take "longer" than on other similar hardware configuration as the multiple VSS writers quiesce the data they're responsible for.
    • The computer's storage subsystem performance can further exacerbate the time to complete a shadow copy, as this is a disk intensive process.

I doubt this is the only action being performed during the "Preparing Updates" phase, but it would account for a significant portion of the time required.

Twisty Impersonator, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Argel Obm Win User

windows update keeps offering the same update

Thank you for the detailed information. If you see a SoftwareDistribution.bak folder inside the Windows folder, it meas that you've already performed the steps that we've provided before. The Windows Update services may still be running
    that is why you cannot rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. There may be an issue with the system files of Windows 10 and also with the image of Windows 10 that is why the same updates are always being offered. We suggest that you check the system files
    and Windows 10 image by running the System File Checker and the
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool. To know how to run those tools, follow the steps found in this
    article.

We also recommend that you provide the exact model of your computer for us to check if there is a compatibility issue between your computer and Windows 10. To determine the exact model of your computer, follow these steps:

• Simultaneously press the Windows key and the letter "R".
    • In the Run text box, type msinfo32.
    • On the right pane of the System Information window, look for
      System Model.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Argel Obm, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

1. My computer offers an update, how do I prepare? - Similar Threads - computer offers update

2. How do I get my computer to update??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get my computer to update??: I have not been on my computer in a long time and now that I need it, it will not update to Version 10. There are a hanful of updates open and they all just say "pending" it will update to a 100% and then just restart. I have ran troubleshoot and I have completely reset my...
  3. How do I get my computer to update??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get my computer to update??: I have not been on my computer in a long time and now that I need it, it will not update to Version 10. There are a hanful of updates open and they all just say "pending" it will update to a 100% and then just restart. I have ran troubleshoot and I have completely reset my...
  4. how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer: how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-microsoft-pop-up-for-offers-when-i/8cbb8f8e-7135-432b-a5e7-570c488359b1
  5. how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer: how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-microsoft-pop-up-for-offers-when-i/8cbb8f8e-7135-432b-a5e7-570c488359b1
  6. how do i stop Microsoft pop up for offers when i open my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. my computer states "preparing windows" and is not working correctly - how do i fix

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my computer states "preparing windows" and is not working correctly - how do i fix: how do i fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-states-preparing-windows-and-is-not/418096fe-b2a0-4b67-b2dd-3be5f3e6b6f9
  8. How do I get rid of Microsoft offers that pop up when I start my computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I get rid of Microsoft offers that pop up when I start my computer: I have never seen this before and I don't want to ever see it again. I restarted my computer this morning and got an advertisement for Microsoft services that wouldn't close unless I clicked "skip for now". I didn't want to click that because "for now" doesn't describe my...
  9. How do I remove the one drive offer to change my password from my WIFE'S computer!!!?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I remove the one drive offer to change my password from my WIFE'S computer!!!?: I logged into my microsoft account in order to get help for my wife's Quickbooks 2019 being disabled by a Windows Update. Despite many attempts to eradicate my information from her computer, things like One Drive list my information, and most disturbingly, offer to reset...
  10. Microsoft offers IT guidance to prepare for Windows as a Service

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft offers IT guidance to prepare for Windows as a Service: When Windows 10 arrives this summer (and Windows Server 2016 next year), Microsoft is going to be making some noticeable changes to how and when it delivers security fixes, hotfixes and rollups. [img] What can IT pros do now to prepare for the new Windows world order?...