Windows 10: My computer restarts instead of shutting down

Discus and support My computer restarts instead of shutting down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I press the power key, or when I click on power>shut down, Windows 10 reboots instead every time. Is this a known fault and if so is there an easy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by boristhemoggy, Aug 23, 2016.

1. My computer restarts instead of shutting down

When I press the power key, or when I click on power>shut down, Windows 10 reboots instead every time. Is this a known fault and if so is there an easy fix for it?

:)

boristhemoggy, Aug 23, 2016

2. Instead of shutting down, computer restarts after installing Windows 10

Jessen P:

I may have responded earlier, but can't find my post now, so I'll resubmit my response.

Thanks for your response to my problem.

I ran the power troubleshooter as you suggested. It found that I use a screen saver (rather than turn off my display); and that I had disabled both sleep and hibernation modes on my computer. The troubleshooter reset these items to their default values.
    I tried to shutdown afterwards, but the computer continues to restart instead. I'll leave these settings at the default for now, but I don't believe they are related to the restart rather than shutdown issue.

I also ran a complete set of hardware diagnostics provided by HP for my computer at the time of purchase. These tests found no hardware issues of any kind.

If you have further suggestions for correcting this problem, please advise.

veritasffg, Aug 23, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Instead of shutting down, computer restarts after installing Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep
    mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

Run the Power troubleshooter and see if it helps.

a: Press
    Windows logo to open the search box.

b: Type troubleshooting, hit enter.

c: Now click System and Security.

d: Click Power.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Aug 23, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

My computer restarts instead of shutting down

Hello Boris, try running this line from Command prompt:
    %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00
    See if it helps and than we can go further.

CountMike, Aug 23, 2016
  5. At work now so I'll wait til my break and try it ta. Can you explain what each thing does please?

6. Excellent....that did indeed make it log off properly!!
    Can you let me know what the switches are for please?

7. CountMike New Member
    This is switch for restart:
    %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -R -F -T 00
    See the difference from OFF switch ?
    %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -S -F -T 00
    If you want you can make a shortcut to them and use the line as Target.

CountMike, Aug 23, 2016
  8. My computer restarts instead of shutting down

How come my shutdown button is not doing it though?

9. CountMike New Member
    Shutdown button on the case ?

CountMike, Aug 23, 2016
  10. The one on the case and the one in Windows, both do the same

11. CountMike New Member
    You can make desktop shortcut and/or pin it to start menu and taskbar for now until somebody find another way to change setting.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

My computer restarts instead of shutting down

1. My computer restarts instead of shutting down - Similar Threads - computer restarts instead

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  6. Computer restarts/shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer restarts/shuts down instead of going to sleep: After i use my computer for a while and put it to sleep, it doesn’t go to sleep correctly. It either restarts or in the last case i had, shuts down. It used to have start up issues but that was resilved when i replaced my boot drive....
  7. Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Windows restarts instead of shutting down: Hi all, I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10. In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected. But at a certain point in time maybe after a Windows update, Windows restarts every time when I select shutdown. The only...
  8. My computer, instead of shutting down, reboots.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer, instead of shutting down, reboots.: Good day. After the new update on 1903. I noticed that my computer stopped working normally. After I click shutdown. My computer, instead of shutting down, reboots. And only for the second time, he turns off. Sorry to me my English I translate in online translator....
  9. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  10. Computer Restarts instead of Shut Down After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Restarts instead of Shut Down After Windows Update: I have had the message on my laptop that said to install windows updates. Its like a rectangle message and it ask you if you want to remind you later, pick a later time or update it now. I delayed updating it for a long time and clicked on remind me later.So basically...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer restarts instead of shutting down

2. computer restarts instead of sleeping

3. shutting down asus computer it shuts down and restarts