Windows 10: My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

Discus and support My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer told me that my hard drive has failed and I took it apart and went to the hard drive section. I have taken out the hard drive and it is out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MADEN05, Sep 17, 2020.

1. MADEN05 Win User

My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

My computer told me that my hard drive has failed and I took it apart and went to the hard drive section. I have taken out the hard drive and it is out of the computer and the computer is still disassembled. Many websites say that I should clone it but I don't know if I should clone a failed hard drive to a new one. Also, I want to switch to ubuntu Linux and get rid of the old hard drive. So can anyone tell me what I should do with the new hard drive and how I should install linux.

Device is a HP all in one pc. It has a 1tb Toshiba hard drive.

:)

MADEN05, Sep 17, 2020

2. Recovery from failed hard drive

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions;

• What is the make and model of the hard drive?

• Did you get any error messages while using the failed hard drive?

• When you say failed hard drive, are you referring to external hard drive or internal hard drive?

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article, which explains about the recovery option in Windows 10 and check if it help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Sep 17, 2020
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Sep 17, 2020
  4. My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

Google Claims Hard Drives Don’t Fail Because of High Temperature or Usage

One common argument in the world of computing is that high temperatures make hard drives more likely to fail, and the same is said for high usage levels. However, when conducting internal research, search giant Google suggests that this is only true for hard drives in their first months of operation or once they are over five years old. According to Google, there are so many other variables that the biggest factor in the lifetime of hard drives is actually the model itself rather than the conditions. In fact, Google saw a trend suggesting that drives are more likely to fail at lower temperatures or extremely high temperatures, and generally speaking, hard drives failed less as temperature increased (until these extremes were reached). As for high usage, the research showed that hard drives only seem to be affected by high usage in the first months or after it is five years old, and other than that the rate of failure was the same as drives in low-usage environments.

Source: TG Daily

Jimmy 2004, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

1. My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions. - Similar Threads - computer said hard

2. My hard drive failed and I need to have Windows reinstalled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive failed and I need to have Windows reinstalled: Product key: D7P3X-MVHRF-4YHDP-8G8KV-9378TX16-96072Can I get a boot disk to reinstall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-drive-failed-and-i-need-to-have-windows/f4ae8d1b-c3f0-46a0-8cf4-c9b9f3b7b2a2
  3. My hard drive failed and I need to have Windows reinstalled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive failed and I need to have Windows reinstalled: Product key: D7P3X-MVHRF-4YHDP-8G8KV-9378TX16-96072Can I get a boot disk to reinstall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-drive-failed-and-i-need-to-have-windows/f4ae8d1b-c3f0-46a0-8cf4-c9b9f3b7b2a2
  4. My hard drive failed and I need to have Windows reinstalled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I have some questions

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have some questions: Not a problem with any apps on my pc or my phone but I would like to ask you some questions, some might be off-topic but before I begin, suppose you made QnA video on Facebook or YouTube, remind me when it's time. Okay, let's begin with: 1 How are the projects going ? I...
  6. Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not sure where to post this, but I have some questions about hard drives/OS: I have a win 10 pc, and my friend just gave me a 500gb hard drive from his older windows vista pc. If I put that in my D: drive, how would that work? And how would I be able to wipe that drive clean for my use? submitted by /u/MediocoreRedstoner [link] [comments]...
  7. My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My computer said the hard drive failed, I have some questions.: My computer told me that my hard drive has failed and I took it apart and went to the hard drive section. I have taken out the hard drive and it is out of the computer and the computer is still disassembled. Many websites say that I should clone it but I don't know if I...
  8. I have some questions about replacing a hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some questions about replacing a hard drive: (My english isnt very good so just bear with me) I have been thinking about replacing my 250 gb hard drive on my pc for a 1tb hard drive. But this is my first time replacing something on my pc so i have a few questions What do i have to do before replacing my hard drive...
  9. my computer said I have a trojan... I scanned my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my computer said I have a trojan... I scanned my computer: my computer said I have a trojan... I scanned my computer and how do I know if I got it in time? I tried downloading the malicious software removal tool for windows 10 but it keeps telling me its no longer available what do I do ??...
  10. my hard drive said full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my hard drive said full: the hard drive said full. said to delete apps ,so I did .now nothing opens FILES .WHAT COMES UP IS CAN NOT FINE FILES .?WHAT DO I DO? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hard-drive-said-full/94016524-5edc-48ab-bc91-99c782c86a8b