Windows 10: My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor

Discus and support My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Recently, I think it was January, my computer started facing issues while booting. I could not determine the cause of the issue, but I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alex87, May 11, 2020.

1. Alex87 Win User

My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor

Hello,

Recently, I think it was January, my computer started facing issues while booting. I could not determine the cause of the issue, but I have found a workaround that "fixes" it temporarily (once). Once I press the power button on my computer there are generally several cases of stuff that can happen:
    1. Computer enters bootloop. Restart button does not work. The bootloop looks like this (there are two distinct boot failures):
    Computer turns on, there is no video output, stays for 12~ seconds, turns off
    Computer turns on, keyboard flashes, Gigabyte logo appears, black screen with mouse pointer appears, turns off
    Go to 1. This process repeats endlessly.

2. Computer turns on, but there is no video output, stays on until turned off by long pressing "on" button. Restart button does not work.
    3. Computer turns on and windows successfully boots

The temporary fix that I found to work is to remove any number of RAM sticks. I usually remove one and just stack them until I'm left with two, then I put all of them back (I have 4 sticks). Any stick can be removed for this fix to work. Once the computer is turned on, it will stay on, there are no BSODs, it works flawlessly as far as I can tell. I keep it on until I'm forced to apply windows updates. I have tested the RAM with memtest, they checked out.

:)

Alex87, May 11, 2020

2. No signal from computer to my monitor???

HELP with this WEIRD problem!!

I'm having a similar problem, but it's baffling me. Please if anyone has anything to say about this, I'm at my wits' end. *Frown My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor :(

So I boot up my computer, running my Radeon X1950Pro card, everything inside the computer boots, but the monitor receives no signal. (I get both bootup beeps)

I tried switching around the RAM sticks (2 500Gb) as suggested above, just for good measure. Nothing changes, always everything inside the computer boots fine, monitor gets nothing.

I switch out the Radeon in favor of my old GeForce 5600Ultra. Same thing.

Again, just for good measure as I rack my brain, I unplugged my CD drive in case it's a power problem. No change.

All this is just frustration, the reason why I'm so baffled is the story leading up to my monitor apparently dying (though it still turns on, it just gets no signal). Here it is:

I've been playing Mount&Blade recently. For about a month, it ran totally fine without a hitch at high graphics settings. All of a sudden the past few weeks, the game started unexpectedly crashing, but when it crashed, it would crash the whole computer by somehow inhibiting the display. When the game crashed, my monitor would no longer receive signal from the computer and I would need to reboot. on reboot, the monitor would be fine. I started running the game in a window instead of full screen, and I drastically lowered the graphics settings. STILL every so often the game would crash and the monitor would lose signal. How do I know that it was specifically the game, and not that the game was making the computer go screwy and crash entirely? Because after about a week, the game slowly started to ONLY CRASH ITSELF. WTF?? It went from crashing the whole computer (I couldn't hear it respond when I hit CtrlAltDel or AltF4 or anything) to just crashing itself and not responding, so that I needed to exit Mount&Blade but the computer still continued running. So fastforward to yesterday, I was playing the game, avoiding the specific spots in the game where crashing seems most likely, but then, as I was playing, the whole screen flickered (mind you, I'm still running it in a window, but it was the whole screen that did this) and then turned blue, like there was a filter over it. It stayed this way for a few minutes, even after I exited the game, but then the monitor lost signal. Since then I've been doing the work inside the computer that I wrote about above, and no dice.

I would say that the monitor just died and has been screwing with me bc it's in the death throes, but this story is TOO WEIRD. Why is it so specifically tied to this one program? And why did it first start by crashing the whole computer, not just the monitor. And then, why did that CHANGE, so that it only crashed the program and neither computer nor monitor????

The only thing that i haven't tried yet is switching out the monitor or monitor cable, since I don't have any others, but even though I haven't tried that, it doesn't seem like that's the problem, since the monitor still gets power and works.

Please lend any suggestions that you have, I luvs my computer, I don't want it to die!
    thanks
    Derek

psycholicon, May 11, 2020
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, May 11, 2020
  4. My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor

Windows 10 Update Installed & Now No Signal to Monitor

Hi,

For us to isolate your concern with your monitor's signal, we would like to know the following:

• When you say "signal", are you referring to the Internet?
    • Are you getting any error messages? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, May 11, 2020
Thema:

My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor

1. My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor - Similar Threads - computer sometimes crash

2. My monitor is receiving no signal.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My monitor is receiving no signal.: I’ve used this monitor on a previous device and it was working great. Now that I got a new laptop, I plugged in everything the way I did before. The hdmi cable works perfect, as I have checked on a different device, and the port on my laptop also works. I’m thinking it’s an...
  3. My monitor is receiving no signal.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My monitor is receiving no signal.: I’ve used this monitor on a previous device and it was working great. Now that I got a new laptop, I plugged in everything the way I did before. The hdmi cable works perfect, as I have checked on a different device, and the port on my laptop also works. I’m thinking it’s an...
  4. All my games are crashing and sometimes my computer crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my games are crashing and sometimes my computer crashes: It started crashing about a week ago and ever since I couldn't start anything.I updated my driversI checked for malwareI did a factory resetand a tone more but it still doesn't work, I need help....
  5. All my games are crashing and sometimes my computer crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my games are crashing and sometimes my computer crashes: It started crashing about a week ago and ever since I couldn't start anything.I updated my driversI checked for malwareI did a factory resetand a tone more but it still doesn't work, I need help....
  6. My computers monitor loses signal, but PC remains on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computers monitor loses signal, but PC remains on: Recently I have been having a problem where my PC will lose signal randomly after around 10-20 minutes of starting it. My monitor says it lost connection while my computer is still on. Whenever I press the power button, it does nothing, even when I hold it down. The only way...
  7. No Signal on Monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Signal on Monitor: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jamesbrad04 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgy9k5/no_signal_on_monitor/
  8. Monitor no signal

Monitor no signal: My system unit boots perfectly, the videocard is working etc. But it says on my monitor that it has no signal. I checked every wirings and all. Is this a faulty ram ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-no-signal/584e85e7-7d09-4afb-86e0-8f837b1263dd
  9. My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor

My computer sometimes crash and no signal on monitor: Hello, Recently, I think it was January, my computer started facing issues while booting. I could not determine the cause of the issue, but I have found a workaround that "fixes" it temporarily (once). Once I press the power button on my computer there are generally several...
  10. My monitor gets no signal but my computer turns on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My monitor gets no signal but my computer turns on: What could it be? I need help man submitted by /u/Savitar2056 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ff3a3d/my_monitor_gets_no_signal_but_my_computer_turns_on/