Windows 10: My Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It.

Discus and support My Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A while ago I decided to fix up my storage to make it more convenient. My laptop has the C: drive, which is a 256 GB SSD. It also has a 1TB HDD. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SashaKlein, Aug 14, 2019.

1. My Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It.

A while ago I decided to fix up my storage to make it more convenient. My laptop has the C: drive, which is a 256 GB SSD. It also has a 1TB HDD. I partitioned that HDD into two smaller parts, which are now named Data (DMy Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It. :) and Files (FMy Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It. :). My plan was to keep my applications and other important things on the SSD, so as to have faster access to them, and to keep my other files on the two partitions because of their large amount of space.

Now this was a while ago, so I don't perfectly remember what happened, but I believe I attempted to move my documents folder off of the C: drive, and on to either the D: drive or the F: drive. What ensued was utter chaos. My F: drive now recognizes itself as my desktop; I no longer have a desktop, it's just called (FMy Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It. :). If I try to access my F: drive through my file explorer, it shows me what's on my desktop, and any change I make on my desktop are visible on my F: drive, and vice versa. I now have no clue how to clear space on my computer because I can't tell if my F: drive is still it's own partition or if it now counts as part of my C: drive, since the Desktop directory is normally within the C: drive. I've looked up lots of ways to fix it but I don't think anyone else has been dumb enough to try to move directories around without knowing what they're doing.

At this point I'm seriously considering backing up my things and just having my computer reset, because even people I know who are very knowledgeable about computers can't begin to fathom what on earth I did to my poor laptop.

Please help.

Thanks.

:)

SashaKlein, Aug 14, 2019
  2. jmcslob Win User

2 x SSD Raid 0 - is this right?

T ski b4 your done with this post can you list a step by step fix of what you did, I would appreciate it if you would...Thanks

jmcslob, Aug 14, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

My Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It.

Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

Hi George,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Did you make any changes in BIOS?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to update Storage controller drivers and check if it helps.

Steps 1:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Select Device manager.

• Expand Storage controller.

• Right click on the driver and Update the drivers.

Steps 2: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue
    is with device. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

My Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It.

1. My Computer Storage is a Mess... And I Can't Fix It. - Similar Threads - Computer Storage Mess

2. My Computer Is messed up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer Is messed up.: I updated my Windows 10 computer to Win11 several years ago!, earlier this year I went to bed leaving my computer running and updating before shutting down. Now my computer takes 30 minutes to boot and many programs won't run at all. I can't find my Windows key but will...
  3. My Computer Is messed up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer Is messed up.: I updated my Windows 10 computer to Win11 several years ago!, earlier this year I went to bed leaving my computer running and updating before shutting down. Now my computer takes 30 minutes to boot and many programs won't run at all. I can't find my Windows key but will...
  4. How do i fix my storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i fix my storage: So i was transferring my videos over to my d drive and i deleted some also and the next day I only had 3 mb left and I was so confused so I looked through my folder and I didnt find anything I could've missed it but I'm not sure so i uninstalled stuff and it filled to max and...
  5. How do i fix my storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i fix my storage: So i was transferring my videos over to my d drive and i deleted some also and the next day I only had 3 mb left and I was so confused so I looked through my folder and I didnt find anything I could've missed it but I'm not sure so i uninstalled stuff and it filled to max and...
  6. My computer storage is a mess

My computer storage is a mess: Earlier in the year, I partitioned my C: drive. I wanted to use the new D: drive for my media, so I moved all my music and videos into the new drive. I think I accidentally changed some settings like optimizing specific folders for music and whatnot. Somehow, the drive was...
  7. [Help] My computer has no storage and I can't delete a thing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] My computer has no storage and I can't delete a thing: I have a C drive with windows on it (the full drive) and a D drive with 545 GB free. Even when I download apps on D drive I still have "no available storage". I've tried to reset my PC in multiple different ways and it always says "free some space". I've tried to delete data...
  8. My touchpad driver is messed up and I can't fix it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My touchpad driver is messed up and I can't fix it.: My touchpad driver worked fine when I first bought my HP EliteBook, however, my driver has not been allowing me to change scroll settings and scrolling doesn't work on it. I am posting this now because my mouse just broke and I only noticed it today, however, I need the...
  9. My Computer's Storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Computer's Storage: My computer claims to have little to no storage space left and recommends that I delete some things; However, once I attempt to do that, the files taking up the most room will not go away. I haven't downloaded or have taken any pictures and have deleted any I had on this...
  10. I messed up my foldetr paths and i can't fix it

I messed up my foldetr paths and i can't fix it: (let you know now that my L key is mostly locked up). To make it simple, i was trying to make space on my C:/ drive and I though of moving my desktop,documents, downloads, and pictures to my other drive. when i was doing this i thought that windows would have made folders for...