Windows 10: My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing.

Discus and support My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 home, 64-bit. Starting yesterday the sound on my desktop has been acting wierd. I always have my desktop with the speakers plugged in at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ConnorPiper, Nov 28, 2019.

1. My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing.

Windows 10 home, 64-bit.

Starting yesterday the sound on my desktop has been acting wierd. I always have my desktop with the speakers plugged in at the jack at the back and my headphones out the front. I can easily switch between the two by going to my sound options at the bottom right of the task-bar.

Now when I turn on my computer, the sound options will show briefly: headphones, speakers, NVIDIA. Within a second it will then change to: NVIDIA, speakers and the headphone option is gone (The headphones are still plugged in). When I have the headphones plugged in all the sound goes through them and when they are unplugged it then goes through the speakers. The entire time there is no 'headphones' option showing, even in the control panel.

I've tried updating, disabling, enabling the drivers to no effect.
    I tried intalling the reatek audio manager also to no effect, it just gets stuck in a restarting loop.

It's the same for any other hardware I plug in as well such as different speakers, other headphones or earphones.

It's not a major issue but I preffered having the option to manually switch between the two.

Any advice...

:)

ConnorPiper, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Ivy Mun Win User

Speakers and headphones work at the same time

Hi.

Let us isolate your concern by answering these few questions.

• Have you tried connecting your headphones directly to your desktop?
    • Does your speaker work normally when connected to your desktop?
    You may try the following steps to help resolve your concern:

• Unplug or Disconnect your speaker from the desktop.
    • Connect your headphone directly to the desktop.
    If the headphone works properly when directly connected to the desktop, we suggest that you contact your speaker manufacturer for assistance.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivy Mun, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Windows 10 thinks headphones are speakers

Thank you for the reply.

I did what you suggested and it seems like it did nothing at all despite saying that it fixed the problem. I ran the troubleshoot a couple more times, with my headphones plugged in and with them unplugged, and every time it said the same thing of "Hardware
    changes might not have been detected". Saying it was fixed as well. I've run it probably ten times now and its said the same thing every time and nothing has happened. My computer still thinks my headphones are speakers and the problems are persisting. I have
    tried to look online about downloading the sound drivers and chipset, but I only get results of reviews about the headphones and stores to purchase the headphones from.

My comp is a Cyberpower PC with an AMD quad core processor and a 64 bit operating system

rascleman500, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing.

No Speakers or Headphones detected

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by a corrupted Audio driver or defective audio port.

To better understand this concern please answer the following questions:

• Are you still able to play music using a built-in speakers?
    • Have you tried using other headphones or external speakers?

We also suggest that you run audio troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Type "troubleshooting" on the search box.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the result.
    • Click View all.
    • Choose Playing Audio then follow the instructions.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to post back.

Ryan Fra, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing.

1. My computer thinks the speakers and the headphones are the same thing. - Similar Threads - computer thinks speakers

2. Speakers and headphones grouped as the same thing by Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speakers and headphones grouped as the same thing by Windows.: As written above my speakers and headphones are grouped as the same thing by Windows. This is the reason why if I unplug my headphone cord, play a sound and then plug my headphones in again the sound is still playing on the speakers. I do know how to get on my headphones I...
  3. Speakers and headphones grouped as the same thing by Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speakers and headphones grouped as the same thing by Windows.: As written above my speakers and headphones are grouped as the same thing by Windows. This is the reason why if I unplug my headphone cord, play a sound and then plug my headphones in again the sound is still playing on the speakers. I do know how to get on my headphones I...
  4. Speakers and headphones grouped as the same thing by Windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My headphones keep repeating the same thing.

My headphones keep repeating the same thing.: My headphones keep repeating the same noise over and over again it is also the same noise as my monitor turning on and off and even after restarting my computer the noise will still play any idea on how to stop it?...
  6. Mi PC thinks my headphones are speakers

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Mi PC thinks my headphones are speakers: I bought a cyberpower pc 8 months ago, with windows 10 home then I bought my headsets, my computer recognized my headphones as a speacker, making it impossible for me to use the headsets' microphone. I tried to update the drivers from the device manager and restart my...
  7. Headphones and speakers considered the same device.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones and speakers considered the same device.: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/ug82cbczuwk41.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=1a287333edbf70185411f2e7e7e0de31dea5b07c For some odd reason both headphones and laptop speakers are being recognised as the same device. How do I sort them out as two separate devices...
  8. Laptop thinks my headphones are my speakers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop thinks my headphones are my speakers: Okay so i have a gaming headset that uses my usb port, i got it awhile ago but for some reason when i plugged it in a few days ago it made my laptop think that my default and only speakers. my laptop speakers dont work, neither do any headphones i plug in. i have restarted,...
  9. Headphones and speakers playing at the same time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Headphones and speakers playing at the same time: Yesterday i was trying to fix an issue with microphone echo on my new lenovo laptop which led to me reintalling my audio drivers after this both my speakers and headphones are playing at the same time. my headphones are not showing up in playback devices or recording devices...
  10. Using headphones and speakers at the same time.

Using headphones and speakers at the same time.: I recently bought a new headset and desktop. I just tried out the headset and found it to be amazing, but I was wondering how I could get sound to go through both the headset and speakers on my speakers system. The desktop is in Windows 10, and it's a Lenovo, and I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 thinks speakers are headphones