Windows 10: My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown

Discus and support My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I own a HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook laptop for Windows 10 (HP PAV 15-AK 085NA with 64-bit). Recently my computer did an update which seemed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MatthewFranks, Aug 26, 2019.

1. My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown

Hi,

I own a HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook laptop for Windows 10 (HP PAV 15-AK 085NA with 64-bit). Recently my computer did an update which seemed to install correctly, but whenever I shutdown then close the lid, after a few seconds the computer turns itself back on again. It's been going on for a while now, I've tried troubleshooting options, updating drivers, changing power and lid settings and even various solutions online proposed for people with a similar issue but nothing is working. I'm running out of ideas and I could really use some help. Any suggestions?

:)

MatthewFranks, Aug 26, 2019
  2. rmoreau Win User

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Closing Laptop Lid Powers On Computer

After shutdown, I have to close the lid when I see a black screen to turn it off. If I shutdown and wait, closing the lid reboots the computer. The power button doesn't work after shutdown. I have to open and close the lid to power on.

I disabled fast startup which helped properly shut it down, but closing the lid powers it back on. I changed the "choose what closing the lid does" to "do nothing" on both battery and plugged in and that didn't work.

I think it might be a corrupted driver issue but I'm unsure the proper way to reinstall all the drivers. Thanks.

BlakeCamden, Aug 26, 2019
  4. My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Welcome to the forum My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown :)
    If you are saying that the laptop won't shutdown because you need to choose an option to save MSWord or not then I don't think it's possible to change that procedure when the lid is closed. But, maybe someone knows a registry hack or something to accomplish it
    If you want to force all running apps and software to close without saving then a Command Prompt shortcut is probably the easiest.
    See the Shutdown tutorial Option 8 and decide which Command Prompt is best for you, it will probably be

shutdown /s /f /t 0

My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown [​IMG]
    Note Immediately force running apps to close, and then performs a full shutdown of the computer.
    or
    shutdown /s /hybrid /f /t 0

My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown [​IMG]
    Note Immediately force running applications to close, and then performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
    • Copy the Command Prompt
    • Right click on an empty space on the Desktop
    • Select New > Shortcut
    • Paste the Command Prompt in the location box
    • Next
    • The name shutdown should appear in the box, edit that if you want
    • Finish
    Move the shortcut to wherever you like and/or pin to Taskbar or Start

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

FrillyBits, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown

1. My computer turns itself back on when I close the lid after it has shutdown - Similar Threads - computer turns itself

2. XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed: I recently purchased an XPS 17 9730, Windows 11.When I select 'shutdown' and close the lid, the laptop then either starts to run the fans, or, after a few minutes, turns itself back on. Sometimes both.This is 'shutdown', not 'sleep' and I have not enabled 'hibernate'.I have...
  3. XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed: I recently purchased an XPS 17 9730, Windows 11.When I select 'shutdown' and close the lid, the laptop then either starts to run the fans, or, after a few minutes, turns itself back on. Sometimes both.This is 'shutdown', not 'sleep' and I have not enabled 'hibernate'.I have...
  4. Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my laptop shutdown when the lid is closed?: Title. Also, I'm not sure if it hibernates or anything but after I close the lid for a certain amount of time the computer shutdowns maybe? and I have to start it again with Win11 logo displaying. My PC starts off a bit slow when doing this and becomes normal againMy power...
  5. Shutdown when I close the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutdown when I close the lid.: I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop and one day I changed the 'sleep time when plugged in' to 5 hours and now I can't sleep my laptop when closing the lid. I've reset power settings and disabled the Intel Management Engine, and almost did everything in the internet. How...
  6. Computer turns itself back on immediately after shutdown -Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turns itself back on immediately after shutdown -Windows 10: This happened right after i installed a PCIe usb3 card and moved my graphics card. Also plugged PCIe into my power supply. Please help. Jumpers look good....
  7. My computer keeps turning itself back on by itself.

My computer keeps turning itself back on by itself.: I have followed the steps suggested by others regarding why my computer keeps turning itself back on after I turn it of...and have had no success in making it stop. Anything else I can try? The only way I can keep it off is to push the power button which sometimes causes...
  8. Why does my laptop shutdown when I close the lid?

Why does my laptop shutdown when I close the lid?: Why does my laptop always shutdown when I close the lid? I always have to restart my work and it is super annoying.[ATTACH] These are my settings....
  9. Shutdown whenever i close the lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutdown whenever i close the lid: Hello there! Recently (maybe after the latest Windows 10 pro,i cant recall actually) I’ve noticed that whenever i close my laptop lid, the windows shutdown. I know about the power setting and it’s set up to sleep when i close the lid. Did anybody noticed this problem? If...
  10. when to close the lid of laptop after shutdown

when to close the lid of laptop after shutdown: hello when i shutdown my laptop it the screen become dark after 6 secs (approx) but the two led lights at the right corner of keyboard still blinks for 15 secs(approx) so shall i wait for the ligjt to stop blinking or shall i just close the lid pannel after screens goes...