Windows 10: My computer will not fully shut down. I turned off fast startup that got ticked at some...

Discus and support My computer will not fully shut down. I turned off fast startup that got ticked at some... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As title says. When I shut down the computer it still won't full restart. By full restart I mean motherboard stuff pops up, it posts, etc. It just does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LunchPatterson, Apr 4, 2020.

1. My computer will not fully shut down. I turned off fast startup that got ticked at some...

As title says. When I shut down the computer it still won't full restart. By full restart I mean motherboard stuff pops up, it posts, etc. It just does a black screen and does quick start still. How do I get it to actually stop doing Fast startup, even with it unticked in options?

submitted by /u/LunchPatterson
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LunchPatterson, Apr 4, 2020

2. Turn off Fast Startup

Hi Michel,

Please take note that you must be signed in as an Administrator to be able to turn fast startup on or off. Fast startup requires that
    hibernate be enabled. If you disable hibernate, then it will also disable fast startup.

Steps on how to manually turn off the Fast Startup

• Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the
      Power Options
      icon.
    • Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side
    • Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top
    • If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes
    If the option for turning off the Fast Startup is not available, then changing the registry key maybe required.

Note: Please note that configuring Registry key requires extra care as it might cause another issue with your system.

• Type RegEdit in the search field on your Task bar
      and open the Registry tool.On the left pane of the Registry window, locate
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power.
    • On the right pane of the said location, check if the HiberbootEnabled
      is available. If not, we need to create it by clicking the right key of the mouse, select New
      and click on DWORD (32 bit) Value.
    • Replace it with the word HiberbootEnabled under Name
      column.Data value must be zero (0) that will represent as the Fast Startup is turned off.
    • Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Steps on how to disable UAC in Windows 10

• Type UAC in the search field on your Task bar. (If the search field isn't visible, right-click the
      Start button and choose Search.)
    • Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify and click
      OK.
    • You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
    • Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

We look forward to your response.

Kerwin Lee, Apr 4, 2020
  3. simrick Win User
    Computer takes forever to fully shut down.

Hi Gage00 and welcome to Tenforums.
    Have you turned off Fast Startup in Windows?
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

You also will want to get rid of hibernation when using an SSD. In an admin command prompt:
    Code:

simrick, Apr 4, 2020
  4. My computer will not fully shut down. I turned off fast startup that got ticked at some...

HP Pavilion 15 randomly shuts down incorrectly if fast startup enabled

I've just updated an HP Pavilion 15 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (Home 64 bit). If fast startup is enabled, the laptop freezes at the very least step of the shutting down process. The shutting down process goes like this:

1. First you click on shut down
    2. The shut down screen appears
    3. The screen turns off and then the fan starts to spin at high speed
    4. After 4-5 seconds, the fan stops
    5. The laptop is completely turned off, no lights are turned on (in most of PC's)

Well, my problem is that randomly, the Pavilion 15 freezes after step 4 has been completed, with the light of the ON/OFF button turned on forever. Sometimes it turns off correctly, but many other times this happens. If I disable the fast startup, this won't happen and it will always turn off correctly.

What can I do?
    How is it that it's random?

I've tested this with no apps running on background, so that can't be the reason, besides, no apps or programs can freeze the system after the step 4 has been completed, since they are all shut down after step 1.

Also, the fast startup option was activated when I was using Windows 8.1 and never had a single problem with this laptop.

rambomhtri, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

My computer will not fully shut down. I turned off fast startup that got ticked at some...

1. My computer will not fully shut down. I turned off fast startup that got ticked at some... - Similar Threads - computer fully shut

2. Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?: Specs:Ryzen 3700xASUS ROG Strix x570-F WiFi16GB G.Skill TridentZEvga RTX 3080 FTW3WD SN750 NVME - OSSeagate Barracude 120 SSD - MiscSamsung 970 Evo Plus - GamesWindows 10 ProVersion: 22H2Build: 19045.2364Over the past 6-8+ weeks when I shut down my computer it will randomly...
  3. Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?: Specs:Ryzen 3700xASUS ROG Strix x570-F WiFi16GB G.Skill TridentZEvga RTX 3080 FTW3WD SN750 NVME - OSSeagate Barracude 120 SSD - MiscSamsung 970 Evo Plus - GamesWindows 10 ProVersion: 22H2Build: 19045.2364Over the past 6-8+ weeks when I shut down my computer it will randomly...
  4. Why isn't my computer fully shutting down?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  6. Computer won't fully shut down

Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  7. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows (or some other program) turned fast startup off: My pc was working fine, and i quite enjoyed the feature since I still am rocking an hdd. Does anybody here know why either windows or some other program woud turn this feature off? submitted by /u/Bena437 [link] [comments]...
  9. Computer turning off after shut down

Computer turning off after shut down: My computer first wouldn't come on now it turns on after shut down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-turning-off-after-shut-down/d576c75f-55d2-44e8-bfde-1cc69a3f9b52
  10. Computer does not turn off after shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer does not turn off after shutting down: Dell Optiplex 780, had Windows 7 64-bit, upgraded to Windows 10 via the free upgrade. Now every time I tell Windows 10 to shut down, it does the shut down sequence but the computer itself remains on. The power light is on and the computer itself is running. The Only way to...