Windows 10: My computer will not Power Down

Discus and support My computer will not Power Down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My computer will not Power Down, it keeps restarting. First, it suggested that I disable Hibernation and Fast Startup. I went to command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by treasuredphotos, Apr 17, 2020.

1. My computer will not Power Down

My computer will not Power Down, it keeps restarting.

First, it suggested that I disable Hibernation and Fast Startup.

I went to command prompt typed "powercfg -h off" Did not work.

I also tried to make it go to sleep mode and it just restarts. I removed the adapter for the wireless keyboard and mouse. I connected a wired mouse and it still restarted. My printer is connected by WIFI.

If I hit the power button just one click it will go to the sign in screen. If I hold the button till it looks like it is going to shut down and let go it will restart. I clicked the Windows Start then tell it to power down then when it stops spinning and looks like it is going to shut down. I then hit the power button on the machine and it did shut down. If I just hold the Power button on the machine till it shuts down it will stop. I removed everything that is connected to the machine and try to power down it still restarts .

:)

treasuredphotos, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Apr 17, 2020
  3. Windows 10 power buttons not working.

Hi Gerry,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering
    sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.
    • Click on View all on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Power.
    • Click on Advanced on the
      Power
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.
    Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.
    • Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.
    • Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.
    • Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on
      OK if prompted.
    Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, Apr 17, 2020
  4. My computer will not Power Down

Computer doesn’t power down on Sleep.

Hi Dan,

• Did you made any changes to the Computer prior to the issue?

• What is the make and model of your Computer?

As a first resolution, let us check for any pending updates for Windows 10 and install if any.
    Please follow the below steps to update to latest build.

• Press Windows key+ I to open the
      Settings.

• Click on Update & security, then click on
      Windows Update.

• Select Check for updates. If Windows Update says that your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

If the issues till persist, please try the below methods;

Method 1:

• Press Windows key+R
      to open the Run command, then type devmgmt.msc in the Run command.

• Now, the device management tool will appear and, click on
      the network adapter and right click on the device.

• Select properties and click on
      Power management tab

• Now check on Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Method 2: Power troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to run the power troubleshooter and check if it works.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.
    • Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting
    • Now type Power troubleshooter in the
      search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Get back to us if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

My computer will not Power Down

1. My computer will not Power Down - Similar Threads - computer Power Down

2. computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?: I just got my fans replaced and I went on my PC to play some games. Everytime I open a game and let it run for a couple of minutes, my whole computer turns off. I updated NVIDIA too. My battery even though plugged in, has an x on it and it doesnt show up on the bar either....
  3. Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button: Hello,We just got a refurbished PC with Windows 10. It has a weird issue that I can not figure out.When you select to do a restart, the screen comes up that says "Restarting...", and then the monitor goes black, all the lights turn off, and you can not hear any sounds coming...
  4. Power down usb when computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power down usb when computer sleeps: I am unable to get Windows 10 64 bit to power down the USB ports when the computer goes to sleep. Have tried all the power options for the usb root hub in Device Manager. Have tried hibernating as well. I am using an Intel NUC 6i7KYK. I have not tried making changes to...
  5. Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode

Computer shuts down powers off in sleep mode: After my computer enters sleep mode for some time it will automatically shut down or power off rather than just remaining in sleep mode. it is a Dell XPS Studio 9100 running Windows 10. I have checked power settings and can't find any obvious problems. Any ideas on solving...
  6. Kernel Power 41; Computer Shutting Down Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel Power 41; Computer Shutting Down Unexpectedly: Hello all, I have been experiencing this particular issue for several years now. To be clear, I am not getting a BSOD...the computer simply powers off as if it was unplugged from the wall, only to turn back on a few seconds later. The oldest record currently on my machine...
  7. Kernel Power 41; Computer Shutting Down Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Support
    Kernel Power 41; Computer Shutting Down Unexpectedly: Hello all, I have been experiencing this particular issue for several years now. To be clear, I am not getting a BSOD...the computer simply powers off as if it was unplugged from the wall, only to turn back on a few seconds later. The oldest record currently on my machine...
  8. Question: Computer not powering down.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question: Computer not powering down.: I used to be able to shut down Windows normally and my computer would automatically power down. Since an update a few months ago this no longer happens and I have to manually switch off my computer after Windows has closed down. Is there new setting somewhere I don't know...
  9. power down

power down: app preventing shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-down/89091f3d-eb7c-405e-a430-b334c506ebf0
  10. Power down button does not completely turn computer power off

Power down button does not completely turn computer power off: I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I power down the system from the menu, my computer does not completely turn off. The procedure I use is described below: Click Windows_Start_button > Power > Shutdown The system closes applications and appears to...