Windows 10: My computer will run Linux from USB, but not Windows 10. Why?

Discus and support My computer will run Linux from USB, but not Windows 10. Why? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I wiped the hard drive on my laptop, and now I'm trying to install Windows 10. However, when I attach a bootable Windows 10 USB, I'm told "no boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by swd9812, Sep 21, 2019.

1. swd9812 Win User

My computer will run Linux from USB, but not Windows 10. Why?

I wiped the hard drive on my laptop, and now I'm trying to install Windows 10. However, when I attach a bootable Windows 10 USB, I'm told "no boot device found."

Here's what I've checked:

1. The USB port is working. I can use it to boot Ubuntu.

2. The Windows USB drive is valid. I can use it to run Windows on my second laptop.

What's left to check?

It's an HP Pavilion, HP 17-g121wm. Using gparted (running linux from USB), all partitions have been removed from the hard drive.

:)

swd9812, Sep 21, 2019
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Sep 21, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Sep 21, 2019
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

1. My computer will run Linux from USB, but not Windows 10. Why? - Similar Threads - computer run Linux

2. Why is my windows 10 laptop not running Kali linux?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my windows 10 laptop not running Kali linux?: I've tried countless YouTube tutorials but Kali Linux on VirtualBox doesn't run. I've tried downloading from Microsoft Store and giving permissions in Powershell run by admin. I've tried installing other apps for the store to make Kali Linux run but in the end it won't run or...
  3. Why is my windows 10 laptop not running Kali linux?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my windows 10 laptop not running Kali linux?: I've tried countless YouTube tutorials but Kali Linux on VirtualBox doesn't run. I've tried downloading from Microsoft Store and giving permissions in Powershell run by admin. I've tried installing other apps for the store to make Kali Linux run but in the end it won't run or...
  4. Why is my windows 10 laptop not running Kali linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Running windows 10 from USB device on this computer, and it wont update to a USB device

Running windows 10 from USB device on this computer, and it wont update to a USB device: At some point the a windows 10 updated failed on this computer that was to difficult to fix at the time. As a work around I used a USB drive with a boot up copy of windows 10 1803 to start up and run this computer. I have been running this computer for two years this way and...
  6. No sound running Linux Live USB on Win 10 computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No sound running Linux Live USB on Win 10 computer.: I created a Live LinuxMint-20 USB and ran it on my Windows 10 computer. It worked except...... no sound. The Sound icon at the "system tray" shows 100%, but I got no sound playing you-tube music. Please help. P.S. I am an absolute beginner in Linux. I know nothing. I was...
  7. Running LINUX on Win 10

Running LINUX on Win 10: I am trying to find a way to run LINUX on my Win 10 laptop - only within Win 10 itself Rather than dual booting ..... using another partition - but have forgotten the name of the software I believe that there is third party freeware to allow this ?...
  8. booting linux from USB

in Windows 10 Customization
    booting linux from USB: Hey guys, i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i tried to boot on my other laptop Acer and it worked fine. should i turn off the security boot and TMP ? i tried to change the...
  9. delete linux mate from USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete linux mate from USB: downloaded Linux Mate onto my USB using Image Burn. Now unable to save file into USB or delete Linux file from USB using "reformat". Whats the solution??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-linux-mate-from-usb/e3a9dca2-105f-4eba-9bfc-d92ae3ca7680"
  10. Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 linux subsystem: Run Linux desktop directly?: I watched a video about the guy using Windows subsystem and run full Linux desktop without using remote software. There is no white thing on top. He can switch between Linux and Windows using a keyboard shortcut. Linux desktop is smooth, 60 fps, no lag so it means he don't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb ports working on linux but not on windows 10