Windows 10: My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart.

Discus and support My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This is happening on a new computer, every time I plug in headphones, sound completely stops, even if I unplug the headset. The headphones don't show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Wyatt Cyrus, Sep 27, 2022.

1. My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart.

This is happening on a new computer, every time I plug in headphones, sound completely stops, even if I unplug the headset. The headphones don't show up in output settings and switching the output device fixes the sound for a few seconds. Nothing shows up on the troubleshooting audio page. When I restart with the headphones plugged in the sound works for a while, but still doesn't recognize the headset in output.

:)

Wyatt Cyrus, Sep 27, 2022

2. Headphones not being recognized - unless ...

Typical Case:

When I plug my new headphones into my laptop (Windows 10), they are not recognized. If I play a sound it comes through the speakers. I have tried going into audio devices. An option for headphones is listed and enabled, but shows as disconnected.

Other computers:

The headphones work normally in my desktop and Surface Go (both Windows 10). For my desktop, when I plug the headphones in, I get a message asking what I have plugged in. I can switch between headphones and speaker by clicking on the speaker icon and using
    the up arrow to see both choices

Weird Case:

If I have my headphones plugged in when I restart my laptop - THEY WORK. Until I unplug them, then only the speaker works. Until I again restart the computer with the headphones plugged in

What is going on?

John Blum (JBlum), Sep 27, 2022
  3. no sound in headphones

Hi Mary,

If your headphones stops working in Windows devices, you can try solutions below to fix the problem. The issue can be caused by incorrect sound settings, faulty audio drivers, etc. We suggest that you follow below simple instructions to troubleshoot the
    problem.

• Check if the sound is muted. If it is muted, the headphone won’t have sound.
    • Check the connection. Try unplugging the headphone and firmly plug it back in.
    • Check the port. If you are using a USB headphone, try a different USB port.
    • Try the headphone on another computer. Use your headphone on another computer. If it doesn’t work on that computer, the headphone might be broken. In that case, you need to replace it with a new one.

We're just here if you have further questions.

Regards.

81a3255d-566c-4bba-9244-0173490ea2c5, Sep 27, 2022
  4. Arul_D Win User

My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart.

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Sep 27, 2022
Thema:

My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart.

1. My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart. - Similar Threads - computer won't recognize

2. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in: It says that the battery is full so I unplug the charger and it turns off straight away and won't turn back on unless I plug it back in. I got a new battery because I thought that was the issue but its doing the same thing. My laptop is an acer...
  3. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in: It says that the battery is full so I unplug the charger and it turns off straight away and won't turn back on unless I plug it back in. I got a new battery because I thought that was the issue but its doing the same thing. My laptop is an acer...
  4. My laptop won't turn on unless it's plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer won't recognize my headphones plugged in and sound is broken unless I restart.: This is happening on a new computer, every time I plug in headphones, sound completely stops, even if I unplug the headset. The headphones don't show up in output settings and switching the output device fixes the sound for a few seconds. Nothing shows up on the...
  6. Computer won't recognize plug-in headphones after I connected AirPods

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't recognize plug-in headphones after I connected AirPods: I have an HP Pavilion x360 and some Samson SR850 headphones, and they've never given me trouble. Recently I got some AirPod Pros, and I decided to try and connect them to my laptop for Zoom classes. It was pretty easy to connect them, but after I disconnected them and plugged...
  7. Fuzzy Audio Unless I Re-Plug My Headphones

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fuzzy Audio Unless I Re-Plug My Headphones: This seems like a bizarre issue, but while I working today, I noticed the audio on my headphones becomes fuzzy when I navigate to a new page or video. I can still hear sound, but it has the kind of noise you may hear if you have the jack only partway in the jack is all the...
  8. My computer won't recognize the earphones i plugged in.

My computer won't recognize the earphones i plugged in.: My computer doesn't recognize the earphones I plugged in after removing it, but it does so after restarting the pc while the earphone is plugged, plz help me fix it, i have only i earphone agd need to keep removing it from my pc as i play games too, help...
  9. no sound when I plug in my headphones

in Windows 10 Customization
    no sound when I plug in my headphones: When I plug in my headphones, windows turns the sound down to zero. I am on a windows 10 desktop computer that is a few months old. Today is the first time I've tried to use my old headphones. Following advice online I went to SOUND - COMMUNICATIONS and set it to NOTHING,...
  10. Computer won't recognize headphones

Computer won't recognize headphones: I posted about this on here a couple weeks ago, but basically within the first month of owning this computer, every time I plugged in my headphones it asked to switch the audio output device and it got annoying so I finally clicked "don't show this again" when it came up one...