Windows 10: My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!?

Discus and support My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So this is probably the 3rd time I've had to fix this, but whenever I try to shutdown or restart my comp. it doesn't completely shut down. (light in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mone, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Mone Win User

My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!?

So this is probably the 3rd time I've had to fix this, but whenever I try to shutdown or restart my comp. it doesn't completely shut down. (light in tower stays on) Then I have to physically push the power button to finally shutdown. I've fix it before but to be honest following all the suggested things to do, im not sure which on fixes it.

I've tried:
    - Disabling fast start
    - disabling hibernation via cmd prmt
    - tried to clean boot the system through msconfig
    - rolling back and updating intel(R) power management interface

I don't know if there is anything else that I can do before taking it to the shop(and I really don't want to do that) If anyone has any suggestion I would be greatly appreciative

My system
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHZ
    64-bit OS, x64 based processor

:)

2. little cat, Apr 12, 2019
  3. The computer shutdown itself restart?

Hi Tín,

A computer can shutdown based on the instructions given to its power settings. If you are using a laptop, there’s an option that when you are just closing a lid, it can shutdown your computer.
    To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution to your concern, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What activity are you performing that may trigger to shutdown your computer?
    • Can you provide us a screenshot of your power settings?
    • Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Apr 12, 2019
  4. Ryan Win User

Windows 10 won't shutdown

I upgraded to Windows 10 a month ago, and since then I have not been able to shutdown(or restart) my computer other than holding the power button.

Choosing Shutdown or restart from the menu does nothing ( doesn't close any programs )

Running shutdown -r -t 0 ( or any shutdown command from the command line ) results in a "procedure not found" error message. (I checked that it exists in the system32 folder)

Steps taken:

• made sure "fast boot" is turned off
    • made sure power buttons are set to shutdown
    • re-created my power settings profile
    • ran sfc /scannow and found a few corruptions
    • ran chkdsk and it came back with no errors
    • ran Windows updates but it is stuck at Update Home 1511 because it can't restart.
      • I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth After completing 20% I received the error: "The remote procedure call failed"
      • I uninstalled Toshiba Eco Smart utility, and confirmed there are no updates through Toshiba.

I have a Toshiba satellite Windows 10 x64.

Thema:

1. My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!? - Similar Threads - computer won't shutdown

2. Laptop won't fully shutdown, help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't fully shutdown, help!: Laptop: Dell Latitude 9420OS: Windows 11 HomeSo, When I shut my laptop down, it shutdowns, what appears to be fully, but doesn't actually shut down. I have to hold the power button to get it to turn off. Can anyone offer me any help? I've tried several fixes found online, but...
  3. Laptop won't fully shutdown, help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't fully shutdown, help!: Laptop: Dell Latitude 9420OS: Windows 11 HomeSo, When I shut my laptop down, it shutdowns, what appears to be fully, but doesn't actually shut down. I have to hold the power button to get it to turn off. Can anyone offer me any help? I've tried several fixes found online, but...
  4. Computer didn't fully restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer didn't fully restart: I tried restarting my computer but now that I did it took me back to my old profile instead of a fresh new one and each time i try to log back into the old one having no access with no other account it it says "The User Profile Service service failed the sign in....
  5. Computer didn't fully restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer didn't fully restart: I tried restarting my computer but now that I did it took me back to my old profile instead of a fresh new one and each time i try to log back into the old one having no access with no other account it it says "The User Profile Service service failed the sign in....
  6. Computer didn't fully restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Computer won't fully work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer won't fully work: I just [purchased a new computer Windows 10. Some functions just don't well. Eg. whenever I delete or transfer anything it doesn't show anything, If do it again, it says there's nothing there. I then have to exit the file or drive and go back again to confirm it did it. I...
  8. Computer won't restart/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't restart/shutdown: Let me start off by saying that I have 25+ years in windows (workstation and server) but I need a second set of eyes on this. Issue: Computer will not restart or shutdown. Behavior: On shutdown or restart, it goes through the normal process, monitors turn off, but the...
  9. Computer will not fully restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer will not fully restart: Hey guys, So whenever I need an update that restarts my computer or I it needs to be restarted for another reason, when I go to restart it the computer itself stays on but my monitor, mouse and keyboard do not reboot. My screen does not come back on and I need to fully...
  10. Computer not fully shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer not fully shutdown: Hello i update my Acer E1-572G to Windows 10 from 8.1. I have a huge problem , when i had windows 8.1 i install some update who keep my computer on when i shut down it but still happening to windows 10 . Any solutions? thanks in advance! 13503