Windows 10: My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!?

Discus and support My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So this is probably the 3rd time I've had to fix this, but whenever I try to shutdown or restart my comp. it doesn't completely shut down. (light in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mone, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Mone Win User

My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!?

So this is probably the 3rd time I've had to fix this, but whenever I try to shutdown or restart my comp. it doesn't completely shut down. (light in tower stays on) Then I have to physically push the power button to finally shutdown. I've fix it before but to be honest following all the suggested things to do, im not sure which on fixes it.

I've tried:
    - Disabling fast start
    - disabling hibernation via cmd prmt
    - tried to clean boot the system through msconfig
    - rolling back and updating intel(R) power management interface

I don't know if there is anything else that I can do before taking it to the shop(and I really don't want to do that) If anyone has any suggestion I would be greatly appreciative

My system
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHZ
    64-bit OS, x64 based processor

:)

2. little cat, Apr 12, 2019
  3. The computer shutdown itself restart?

Hi Tín,

A computer can shutdown based on the instructions given to its power settings. If you are using a laptop, there’s an option that when you are just closing a lid, it can shutdown your computer.
    To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution to your concern, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What activity are you performing that may trigger to shutdown your computer?
    • Can you provide us a screenshot of your power settings?
    • Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Apr 12, 2019
  4. Ryan Win User

Windows 10 won't shutdown

I upgraded to Windows 10 a month ago, and since then I have not been able to shutdown(or restart) my computer other than holding the power button.

Choosing Shutdown or restart from the menu does nothing ( doesn't close any programs )

Running shutdown -r -t 0 ( or any shutdown command from the command line ) results in a "procedure not found" error message. (I checked that it exists in the system32 folder)

Steps taken:

• made sure "fast boot" is turned off
    • made sure power buttons are set to shutdown
    • re-created my power settings profile
    • ran sfc /scannow and found a few corruptions
    • ran chkdsk and it came back with no errors
    • ran Windows updates but it is stuck at Update Home 1511 because it can't restart.
      • I ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth After completing 20% I received the error: "The remote procedure call failed"
      • I uninstalled Toshiba Eco Smart utility, and confirmed there are no updates through Toshiba.

I have a Toshiba satellite Windows 10 x64.

Thema:

1. My computer won't shutdown or restart fully, please help?!? - Similar Threads - computer won't shutdown

2. Keyboard won't! Please help!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard won't! Please help!!: I deleted the UpperFilters in one folder, and now my keyboard dosen't work!! My mouse still works and i can have desktop keyboard on my pc. Can someone please help me??! Windows 10 Dell...
  3. Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't shutdown or restart properly: My laptop won't shutdown or restart properly, I am using a docking station and when I undock the laptop it seems to restart/shutdown properly but when I restart/shutdown with it docked, it doesn't restart/shutdown properly and always goes into a mode like sleep mode. How do...
  4. Computer won't restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer won't restart: So I am pulling out my hair right now. I was playing a game on Steam (Grim Dawn), and as of a couple of days ago, it started hanging up my computer. The game would freeze, and Steam would be unable to connect my friends list, after which my computer would freeze. I would...
  5. My virtually bricked computer — please help

in Windows 10 Support
    My virtually bricked computer — please help: So, roughly 2.5 years ago, my Dell Inspiron n5050, which was on Windows 10 for about seven months, randomly incurred a Temporary Profile error, and I could not access my files. Fast forward to July of that same year, and I decided to use a YouTube video tutorial to try to...
  6. My Computer is Unusable. PLEASE HELP!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Computer is Unusable. PLEASE HELP!!: NOTE: as I was writing this post ANOTHER BSOD happened *Sad Hi All, I need help. My computer is basically useless now with BSOD every 5-15min constantly. And this all started after I did the dreadful Anniversary Update. In the mist of all the problems I got...
  7. Random Restarts Help Please

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Restarts Help Please: Hi there everyone, The past 3 days when i've been playing Microsoft Flight Simulator X and i've been away from my computer for a while i;ve noticed when i return that everything has closed and i'm back to the dekstop after a restart. It seems my computer randomly reboots...
  8. Computer not fully shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer not fully shutdown: Hello i update my Acer E1-572G to Windows 10 from 8.1. I have a huge problem , when i had windows 8.1 i install some update who keep my computer on when i shut down it but still happening to windows 10 . Any solutions? thanks in advance! 13503
  9. Computer automatically restarts after shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer automatically restarts after shutdown: Windows 10 kept wanting to restart after it has been shutdown. The computer would have its power indicator turned off for maybe 2 seconds, then you hear the fan whirling and the BIOS screen appears followed by the usual boot process. I don't know how this would help, but...
  10. Computer won't shutdown or sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer won't shutdown or sleep.: I have installed W10 twice using the update feature. Everything work fine except when I want to shutdown or put the machine to sleep by clicking on those options, the machine makes noise like the HD is working. It then just shuts down and reboots again. The only way I can...